1986 Buick Riviera - Graphic Control Center

I own a 1986 Buick Riviera. The graphic control center, sometimes known as the touch sensitive CRT screen, part # 25086163, has failed. I have been told by my local GM dealer the part is no longer serviced or stocked by GM. I have contacted a number of used parts dealers and sent the unit to two electronic repair centers with no success. Any suggestions on where I can either get the unit repaired or find a replacement? Without the unit the car has no climate control! confused.gif

Each of the three years of those CRTs carries a different part number and had a dealer cost of about $2000.00+ when the cars were new. The only option is the Authorized Repair Stations for repairs, as it has been for quite some time, just as it is with electronic instrument clusters.

When we got back from the last Flint BCA meet, I considered buying one to archive as an investment--until I found out there were three different part numbers and what each one would cost. It could have been "gold", but the buy-in was more than I wanted to do.

There was a similar post regarding an electronic cluster in the not too distant past. It was answered by a GM parts guy on the east coast. I recommend you search those prior posts for that particular one and contact that dealership guy for assistance on where to send your CRT. There are probably a handfull of repair stations for those things now.

Are you totally sure you got back your original CRT and not an exchange unit? Also, have you checked the harnesses and sensors in the vehicle that might be causing the problem (if the CRT malfunction continues to be the same)?

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Thanks for your response. Currently the unit is being repaired by Southern Electronics in Richmond, VA. they tell me it is fixed and I should be receiving it by about 09/17/02. Cost was under $300.

Glad things are progressing nicely. Price sounds good too.

Be aware that what they are checking things against is their standardized bench checks, which are typically very thorough and precise. If, however, you get it back and it still has a problem (and all of the vehicle input was not determined to be the original problem), you might consider taking the whole vehicle to them (if they have capabilities to do that sort of thing and a dedicated shop in which to do it) and letting them get it figured out (for additional charges, of course, if there were some vehicle issues). Even if you have to drive the vehicle a good ways to get it to them, it could well be worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the update!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

How did you come across these people ? Is this something they specialize in and are fimilar with ? Or is this just a general thing many hi - tec electronic people can handle ? What is the address ? I should make record of it if your screen works out OK and lasts. Will you please post back the end results ? And if other problem pop up later ?