Another `65 GS in Scottsdale

1965rivgs

It has been removed and re-mounted with pop-rivets no doubt, the rivets holding it on are nowhere near any of mine.

Could be from a different car or something, no way to tell for sure I guess? IF it is the original body tag the exterior color and the interior appear to be incorrect.

• Like 1

Car hammered at $88K after 2 bidders went toe to toe for awhile thru several ovations from the crowd. It was a fun time and quite exciting, top sale of the day from what I am told.

The losing bidder appeared rather upset as he exited the arena. I was tempted to offer my assurances that he probably did OK...but none of my business...

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Car hammered at $88K after 2 bidders went toe to toe for awhile thru several ovations from the crowd. It was a fun time and quite exciting, top sale of the day from what I am told.

The losing bidder appeared rather upset as he exited the arena. I was tempted to offer my assurances that he probably did OK...but none of my business...

Tom

88k on a black car that isupposed to be white with fawn interior that is now white and Custom door panels with standard pattern upholstery? These folks have gone CRAZY. 10K for me. 

OK Riviera People: The auction life? Live by the sword, die by the sword.  My main squeeze is the 1960 Buick.   I know  these cars quite well.  Recently a yellow convert sold at auction. It was judged at a BCA National and the seller assumed it was correct and authentic. Perhaps a nice car  BUT....not correct and authentic by a country mile....yet judged by folks deemed knowledgeable . The seller relied on the info supplied and it was wrong. Not intentionally but still wrong.

So.....the auction people play the auction game and sometimes they win, sometimes they loose. It's a world all it's own and that MUST be kept in perspective.    Mitch

20 hours ago, jframe said:

88k on a black car that isupposed to be white with fawn interior that is now white and Custom door panels with standard pattern upholstery? These folks have gone CRAZY. 10K for me. 

I understand your point, especially because I lean toward a "purist" aspect regarding the GS cars,  but the paint on the car was probably 10-15K in most urban areas. Someone did not get a "correct" car but they did get a very, very nice car in terms of appearance....much nicer than the pics show.

Tom

11 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: The auction life? Live by the sword, die by the sword.  My main squeeze is the 1960 Buick.   I know  these cars quite well.  Recently a yellow convert sold at auction. It was judged at a BCA National and the seller assumed it was correct and authentic. Perhaps a nice car  BUT....not correct and authentic by a country mile....yet judged by folks deemed knowledgeable . The seller relied on the info supplied and it was wrong. Not intentionally but still wrong.

So.....the auction people play the auction game and sometimes they win, sometimes they loose. It's a world all it's own and that MUST be kept in perspective.    Mitch

Great post Mitch, both in terms of the quality of "judged" cars and the auction world.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 12:51 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom

Tom, from the pictures I saw of the vehicle I believe the losing bidder in fact came out smelling like arose. Crazier things have happened at auctions.

Red Riviera Bob