oldcar

1922 Fiat 501 Targa Florio

Now back to more mundane things.....
Regarding the generator, having sent all the spiders on their way, dragging their webs behind them, I have now dismantled fully one generator/dynamo and have just one recalcitrant screw to remove before I can take the second one apart, Next week I will take both armatures to be checked on a “growler”.  If one of the two proves to be ok I can reassemble one generator, the second one had a crack through the aluminium section of the housing, making it good only for spares. I should have sufficient usable carbon brushes to assemble one generator. While I am feeling “sparky” I may as well look at at least one of my four starter motors.
In the past I have used the Indian Gentlemen at Springvale to rewind my armatures. Do any of the Melbournians reading this know of any other friendly armature winders?

As the Rice Bubble adverts used to tell us,
Snap Crackle and Pop!
Nice clear blue sparks are said to be sign of a healthy electrical leak,
usually the smoke comes “shortly” after.

Bernie j.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, oldcar said:

Hello Paul

I have uncovered a real "Pandora's box" of info through the link you found. This link took me to some very good videos from the same person "fiatguy"  he made a series of videos about his experiences working on his Fiat. Just what I saw in a few minutes will have saved me a whole lot of trouble when dismantling the rear axle.

Thank you.

Bernie j.

Glad to help a little Bernie! I had looked at that rear axle video, and the disassembly was amazingly simple. Very interesting how the axle is designed/constructed.

EDIT: I saw on the British car forum that Helen had surgery. Tell her that we are wishing her a speedy recovery. Hope you are a good nurse Bernie. :)

Edited by r1lark (see edit history)

I picked this up at the library. It seems to be written in a language I am not familiar with; but giving it a try nonetheless.

Jeeves.jpg

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Hi Bernie, 501s run a 12v system with a positive ground.

On the topic of electrics, we bought a wiring harness from a company named "vintage wiring harnesses" I believe, all original cloth braided wire and the fit was perfect. It was a bit pricey, but nice to have something that was plug and play for a change! 

Cheers, Brodie

Hello all,

Friday morning in East Doncaster (where we live in Aust) tends to be devoted to our weekly Shopping for all the normal things, meat, grocery, fruit and veg etc. This left me with an hour or two to finish the cover for the bursh gear on the generator of if you are frightfully posh the  dynamo. I my age group a Dynamo was the little gadget mounted on one side of the front forks of your bicycle. This had a little wheel than ran against the front tyre (tire) to generate the electricity for the head and tail lamp if you were out riding after dark.

Either way "it" is now virtually ready to be fitted onto the Fiat engine. Once it is in place with its drive chain fitted and adjusted for tension. I can start thinking about fitting the sump and timing chest cover. Here are some photographs of this afternoon's work.

Bernie j.DSCN5997.jpg.87aa7eb5a92137d1b5f13f307c02d264.jpgDSCN5996.jpg.7f2f7074eee5b8f63a9ac797d1009c8d.jpgDSCN5999.jpg.188b1a87074d5b11a851e879743f79f2.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Another day and just a little bit more progress, The one problem  that is becoming apparent is that for every component I bolt onto the engine it becomes that bit heavier. Oh Well!. I am not planing to tear it all apart but the sooner I can lift it into the chassis the better.

DSCN6006.jpg.cb77fd30ccce59f3d707fd584812af5d.jpg

DSCN6005.jpg.15501b5a22bf0d098594b27224b9089b.jpg

Looking good Bernie! I like the shade of red on the block and head, I painted mine black but its a bit generic.

Where'd you source the new spark plugs from? I've got a feeling my spark is breaking down under cylinder pressure occasionally causing missfire.

Brodie

2 hours ago, oldcar said:

There is an old song/saying "Little things mean a lot". For some one brought up on British cars with their "Simms Couplings" as the almost infinitely adjustable magneto drive it came as something of a shock that despite looking everywhere I could not find anything similar coupling on the Fiat engine. Just a flat disc without even one hole in it. I clould not find any reference to a Magneto coupling in even one of the three "owners" hand books and the diagram in the "Spare parts book" did not help.

The "driven" plate on the magneto is similar but at least it has three evenly spaced holes in it. 

I will come back to the mystery of the Magneto coupling  shortly,  meanwhile I have another little Fiat trick for you to sort out.

This strange looking "bolt" is a genuine original Fiat part No 38500 as shown in the Parts Book (below).

What is it and how does it work? If you go back to the photographs on #189 you may just find a clue depending on how observant you are.

Bj.

2005390296_Fiatstuff.jpeg.b8239209f2f2213a684e68a2776174cf.jpeg

734119702_Fiat510Partsbook9.jpeg.13a8dd0748c77c002eacfefafe9c836e.jpeg

So it lines up with the serrations on the dynamo? And adjusts the chain tension.

Not sure of I have asked this question before - Are the bolts on the 501 metric or imperial?  My early 2B engine had lots of Whitworth stuff in it.