63viking

Power enhancement ideas

41 minutes ago, 63viking said:

I agree.  What you need is a supercharger & throttle body from a 95 or 94 Buick pontiac or olds, the intake manifold, front alt & power steering bracket and  p/s pump.

If you get parts from a bone yard, make sure you get the heater hose outlets.  If you find one that is complete take everything off the top of the motor including the throttle cable bracket and the reserve tank for the power steering pump and injectors.

I have some spare parts that I could let you have.

Jon..

Thanks for the information. I'm interested in this too. Once you get those parts bolted on, what else do you need to do? Do you have to run oil lines to lubricate the supercharger bearings?

No, the supercharger has it's own oil in the front nose. It is a special oil and if you get a used one you should change it along 

with the clutch.  It is a simple job.

Edited by 63viking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 63viking said:

No, the supercharger has it's own own in the front nose. It is a special oil and if you get a used one you should change it along 

with the clutch.  It is a simple job.

I learned something. Thanks. Don't I remember you having to modify the bracket that holds the throttle cables too?

What has to be done electrically once you have the blower installed with the throttle cable working properly? Again, thanks for the info.

Actually nothing. Connect you sensors back to the correct sending units and put on the correct belt.

The cable to the alt may have to be lengthened, because the alt is now on the other side of the engine.

1 hour ago, 63viking said:

Yes, I modified  the new one for the tv cable.

I had to add the little arm on the throttle body for the TV cable as Jon says just to use the tpi style manifold N/A. It just bolts on and can be transferred directly from the existing throttle body. Everything later than about '91 had electronic transmissions and the tv cable went away but all the provisions were still there, including the hole in the cable bracket for the cable.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

Is the EGR still used when adding the '94-95 supercharger? Does the PROM need to be reprogrammed?

1 minute ago, 63viking said:

No, and Yes it should be if you want to use any of the added power.

Thanks. So far it sounds like the hard part of adding a SC is finding a good one with all the parts you need still on the engine..

1 hour ago, 63viking said:

I have a spare intake, three superchargers, front bracket, and several throttle bodys.

Always have a spare. 

Good advice.

I have been having some difficulty finding a complete engine with all the correct parts. The on-line car part sites seem to be pretty unreliable. I found one 70 miles from me with a photo of it still in the car. When I inquired about how complete the engine was, I was sent three photos of what was obviously an n/a engine and the tag number didn't match the tag number listed for the engine. When I sent back that it was not the correct engine and mismatched numbers, he replied he accidently transposed numbers, which was bs and would send the correct photos. The next day the listing had mysteriously disappeared. Finding a complete series II is much easier but that would entail an entire engine change as there is essentially no interchangeable parts.

• Sad 1

Hey 2seater why don't you get bundled up and let's go "window shopping" at Gibson's? There should be some '94/95 cars out there. I believe there are 1-2 '95 Rivs out there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Hey 2seater why don't you get bundled up and let's go "window shopping" at Gibson's? There should be some '94/95 cars out there. I believe there are 1-2 '95 Rivs out there.

Good idea. Tomorrow may work if you are up for it. Maybe above freezing although some snow is likely. I will text later.

14 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

i see entire cars on craigslist sometimes for less than a thousand if they are banged up.

That is another possibility but I don't have much room to get another derelict home or to my cottage since it is still winter. Thanks for the idea

13 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Thanks for the info. but it's much like what I have been finding, lots of Series II engines but few Series I. That one listed for the '94 Bonnie would be fine except it sure looks like an n/a one to me. Maybe a bad photo, or misleading??

3 hours ago, 2seater said:

That one listed for the '94 Bonnie would be fine except it sure looks like an n/a one to me. Maybe a bad photo, or misleading??

Misleading clickbait. No SC here.

s-l1600.jpg.2514487a2004af323e66e12c7e2c2be5.jpg

Daniel alluded to installing a Series II engine and that it is not as difficult as it may seem. I had a couple of conversations with Ryan at GM Tuners specifically about if the LN3 ECM can operate the Series II engine successfully, and it appears it is within reason to do so. That does open up some other possibilities, even the N/A engine is 205hp, 230tq, so it would seem to be a useful increase plus the package is smaller and is 26# lighter weight. The MAF uses the same frequency range as the stock one but would likely need some fine tuning. Not on my radar at this point, but an interesting possibility.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, DAVES89 said:

Goin junkin with 2seater on Thursday. Hope we find something. I think odds are good...

We did indeed find several complete '94-'95 candidates as well as several Series II s/c. I questioned our sanity in venturing parts hunting with a strong north wind, 0*F and -19*F windchill. I am there in my mukluks, insulated longjohns, hooded sweatshirt under a Carhartt parka and a Stormy Kromer hat. Dave arrives with a light windbreaker, cotton gloves, no hat and he may have been wearing flip-flops, although I may have been hallucinating that part. Many thanks to Dave's great recall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Well? What'd you get?

Too darn cold to do any wrenching. We did discuss having the yard pull a complete engine for me. The engine I have in mind is listed as bad but everything else is there and the s/c spins freely. We shall see about doing a more detailed look and get the vulnerable parts out of the way when we get a break in the weather. We are at the start of a week long cold spell.

• Sad 1