'65 shifter lens wanted

RIVNIK

Nice work, Loren! Who knew about ShiftWorks! My new shifter lens is bought & paid for! By the time it arrives I hope to have the LED strip installed in the lens reflector, as shown by Rodney in his earlier post "courtesy light kit LED".  I owe ya one, Loren.   Drew

10 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Nice work, Loren! Who knew about ShiftWorks! My new shifter lens is bought & paid for! By the time it arrives I hope to have the LED strip installed in the lens reflector, as shown by Rodney in his earlier post "courtesy light kit LED".  I owe ya one, Loren.   Drew

Sounds great RIVNIK, I was searching a very long time for a new shifter lens but couldn't find one like the original. When you will get yours, please let us know more about the quality and how good it fits in the housing!

The design is a little different than the original, but if the quality is good, it is surely better to go with this one than to try to rebuild the whole thing... I tried myself with different techniques, but wasn't really happy with the results.
What I didn't tried is to make a negative form and fill it up with epoxy...  So decided to refurbish the original and it came out pretty well.
To use a LED strip makes it much brighter and gives the same light intensity on all letters. I would do it again.  

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RIVNIK said:

The heck with the Norwegians!  Why can't we get more more Swiss to come to this country, starting with Schmiddy! 

Thx RIVNIK, if I ever should move to another country, you can be sure it would be the USA!!! :lol::D ...I just came back from my holidays in Florida last week, I enjoyed your country very, very much! (I was very near from you - in Kissimmee)

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

Call Herb at Shift Works and get the dimensions for the lens.  They're designed for the Skylark and they could be different dimensions than the Riviera.

Good point Ed.  Since I have both original Skylark and a '63 Riviera lens here  can check that .

Thanks,

Loren

Sorry I missed you! Next time you're near Orlando  I'll take you on a boat ride around three of Florida's most beautiful lakes via the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour, Florida's longest running tourist attraction, of which I am a skipper. That goes for everyone from the forum..... Riv owners ride for free. Y'all might as well move on down here, it aint getting any warmer up there any time soon. You can stay in my shed while you look for a place.       Drew

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RIVNIK said:

Sorry I missed you! Next time you're near Orlando  I'll take you on a boat ride around three of Florida's most beautiful lakes via the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour, Florida's longest running tourist attraction, of which I am a skipper. That goes for everyone from the forum..... Riv owners ride for free. Y'all might as well move on down here, it aint getting any warmer up there any time soon. You can stay in my shed while you look for a place.       Drew

Wow, thank you Drew, what a cool invitation!!! I heard about the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour... Next time I'm in your neighborhood I will let you know! It would be such a pleasure to take a ride on your boat and see these lakes! And its also well rated on Tripadvisor as I've seen :D... Looks awesome on the pictures!!!
I hope its getting warmer soon (the first week of January was so damn cold... we had around 0°C the other day in Kissimmee!) But it was pretty warm again in Miami as we flew back to Switzerland.

Good catch there Ed.

I pulled out a couple of Riviera lens and a lens from a '65-'66 Skylark center console.  Definitely a size difference .

If I had a '65 Riviera lens to copy the graphics from, I think I could re-make these . It doesn't look very complicated and the graphics Roxy  did for her '63 Riviera turned out fantastic .

Presently working on making a green replacement lens for the '64-'68 Skylark signal light in the dash. I have got ten a good result with some green plexi-glass.

Loren

'64 Riviera                                          '63 Riviera                                                                       '65-66 Skylark

SAM_1602.JPG

Edited by Loren@65GS.com
add header descriptions (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Drew,

I should have checked the size before I made the post.  My apologies for the inconvenience.

Loren

Hi Loren

I made the graphics already... find behind the link below all the needed files. They are vectorized and the fonts are rendered in line art... I'm sure, with these files you will be able to work. The measurement is exactly 1:1 for the '65 Riviera. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjwyme3a35j517f/AADHq8YkVh-VA-A11bIEoCHFa?dl=0

How do you want to reproduce them? For the 65 there where in black plastic with warm white inlays (no plexi).
One of my idea was, to print out the shifter lens on a thin plastic film, then put it in a negative form and mould it with epoxi... (but never tried it).    

IMG_8048.jpg

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Question,  is the black color painted to the plastic on the '65 lens ?

I know on the '63 & '64,  the black is a piece of metal that is painted black .  The indicator letters are white and the edge is a light blue.

My initial  thoughts would be to use clear plexi-glass with the edges cut to duplicate the original design including the slight recess.  Followed by applying the lettering to the back side using a stencil as I did for the '63 lens I previously made.  With that one, I reused the original plastic after cleaning and polishing it. The black metal backer , I hand made from thin aluminum, acid etched and painted. Worked well to give the illumination as original did.

I have no idea of the interest or need for something like these.

Loren

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

Question,  is the black color painted to the plastic on the '65 lens ?

It is solid black plastic (no paint).

6 minutes ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

I have no idea of the interest or need for something like these.

If you can't use it nor have interest, no probs. I just thought this could help you somehow.  Would be a good base to make some tries with 3D printer or some other approaches via digital tools. 
Your idea is surely working, but will have a completely different look than the original has. In my oppinion, it must go in direction solid material, not translucide plexi. 

3 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

It is solid black plastic (no paint).

If you can't use it nor have interest, no probs. I just thought this could help you somehow.  Would be a good base to make some tries with 3D printer or some other approaches via digital tools. 
Your idea is surely working, but will have a completely different look than the original has. In my oppinion, it must go in direction solid material, not translucide plexi. 

Hi Schmiddy,

OK, I see that the '65 Riviera lens is much different then the '63 and '64.  It appears the '65 would be a greater task to duplicate.

Loren