Sign in to follow this  
Bud Tierney

Refernce Book/s Covering Early (Teens Etc) 4Cyl verticals??

While not quite everyone in the 1900s-teens etc were building  4 cylinder verticals, a large number were, at least per old ads in the trade magazines of the period (Automobile Trade Journals and Directories, the various Motors,  etc)..

Does anyone know of a Reference work covering early 4cyl auto/truck engines, or covering early auto'truck engines that includes the early 4 verticals, or an Early Car or Truck book that includes a lot of engine ID info ( maker; engine model's too much to hope for)??? (I have Std Cat US Cars and Mroz's Truck/Comm'l Ency...I can't afford Georgano's)..

Automotive Industries' The Automobile began publishing yearly lists including engine maker around 1916-17 or so,available online ( prior years omitted engine builder) were there any such lists published, available online, for earlier years by other periodicals?? I found one, can't recall magazine, but its tables are up-down on my screen, and rotating my image is apparently complicated, and rotating my head painful......

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say 4cyl verticals.  Are you talking about a regular 4 cylinder engine? 

If so and you want some technical information, you might try a Dykes manual.   Has a lot of information on repairing early engines.

MoToR published a Specification Tables book about 1918 thru 1923 American cars, and serial numbers, model designations, number of cylinders, and prices of cars going back to as early as 1913.  

The 1906- 1916 era is often quite hard to get hard data about engine builders. So many cars from this era used bought in engines , but often the car maker wanted to make it appear that they built the car rather than simply putting bought in components together. And many of the engine builders had a short life, with little or no documentation surviving. There are scant few engine makers catalogs from this period that have survived, although they must have been around at one time.

Greg in Canada

4 hours ago, Bud Tierney said:

While not quite everyone in the 1900s-teens etc were building  4 cylinder verticals, a large number were, at least per old ads in the trade magazines of the period (Automobile Trade Journals and Directories, the various Motors,  etc)..

Does anyone know of a Reference work covering early 4cyl auto/truck engines, or covering early auto'truck engines that includes the early 4 verticals, or an Early Car or Truck book that includes a lot of engine ID info ( maker; engine model's too much to hope for)??? (I have Std Cat US Cars and Mroz's Truck/Comm'l Ency...I can't afford Georgano's)..

Automotive Industries' The Automobile began publishing yearly lists including engine maker around 1916-17 or so,available online ( prior years omitted engine builder) were there any such lists published, available online, for earlier years by other periodicals?? I found one, can't recall magazine, but its tables are up-down on my screen, and rotating my image is apparently complicated, and rotating my head painful......

Is there a particular car that you are looking for?

First, many thxx to all for replies...

LARRY---that was "vertical" (upright?) as opposed to "opposed" or horiz-opposed (flat) engines...most of the old ads specified  whether engines were opposed or vertical, (often building/selling both types) with verticals gradually replacing flats..

Yes, the Dyke's are good references; originally thought about acquiring a set, but the exchequer wouldn't cover it...I'll look for some with full text online...

The earlier, the less info, as 1912S set out above; my old catalogs pretty well cover mid-20s up, The Automobile lists show engine maker from about 1916 up, so the prior period is the ghostly era...

DH---That Motor list seems to be basically the same as published by The Automobile in a slightly different format, and may contain other info (i didn't try to compare a set as I was only interested in engine make).. I'll try to bring up some earlier sets, if any exist...

Lou Philips book Cars has some engine maker info, and I believe some is in The Brass Era book;...I haven't found any of the Annual Handbooks online so don't know about them...

1912S---only too true...and complicated by firms like Milwaukee  Auto Engine & Supply Co, later Milwaukee Auto Engine Supply Co, which first advertised a (singular) 4 cyl vertical, as if the builder, and then a few months later advertised 1-12 cyls,  12-130HP,  implying being an engine seller, or possibly both ..

So many questions, so little time.....

Bud, I have a lot of old reference books, which were my dad's before me. He was in the old car hobby as early as the 1950's, although he and mom didn't have much $$$ in those early years. It may take me a few days, but I'll look through what I have, and see if anything suits your query.