Any thoughts on this vehicle?

Johnny177

Yes, it is. I believe your two pictures were taken a few years back when the Vancouver parks board was refurbishing the tree. The city wanted it removed as a hazard but after a public outcry came up with a plan to keep it standing. Search "Hollow Tree, Rawlings Trail, Vancouver, B.C." in Google Maps and you can check it out in Streetview.

Just to add to my last post, the tree is famous because for more than a century every woman and her dog have gone down there to have their picture taken. In earlier times you could back a horse and carriage or car into the hollow. Google "Hollow Tree in Stanley Park" for the story.

After that nice little diversion, I'm still wondering if 95Cardinal has it right -- is that car at the top of this post a 1908 Peerless? The date certainly fits what I know about the photo. Anyone?

On 1/15/2018 at 10:03 PM, Johnny177 said:

Just to add to my last post, the tree is famous because for more than a century every woman and her dog have gone down there to have their picture taken. In earlier times you could back a horse and carriage or car into the hollow. Google "Hollow Tree in Stanley Park" for the story.

After that nice little diversion, I'm still wondering if 95Cardinal has it right -- is that car at the top of this post a 1908 Peerless? The date certainly fits what I know about the photo. Anyone?

"Back a car into the hollow."

Auburn 1927 1217 b9bd49c4-a858-49c1-a438-0301e6bd2510-A02050.jpg

c58ea84a-b9ae-4028-8035-52614f2661e4-A34856 (1280x755).jpg

Yes, that's our Auburn at the re-opening of the restored (rescued?) tree. For decades people used to back their buggies, then cars, into  the tree for a photo and there are hundreds of such photos out there. Eventually, as cars got bigger, they were causing damage to the tree and no longer allowed. 

We were probably the last car ever in the tree for a photo shoot when they did this shot. Here are the before and after pics. I'm on the passenger side and my father is on the driver's side. The women were provided by the photographer and my mother is sitting inside the car. 

It's not the same car, although ours was purchased new in Vancouver of Dec. 1926.

5a624d6a03044_hollowtree.thumb.jpg.35f373aa16beaca128aaccf2cc936964.jpg

• Like 1