54-56 muffler length

Beemon

I've been searching for this information and so far have not turned anything up. This has been one of my biggest regrets on my car, mostly because it was in the hands of my father and he "convinced me" with his money to go straight pipe front to back with Magnaflow mufflers (originally wanted Flowmaster). When I got my old pipes back, they had simply just cut them up because they were perceived as junk. I had also tossed my original mufflers because they were perforated and collapsed, not donning on me that I could have taken them apart and possibly reconditioned them.

The loud exhaust appeal has quickly worn off and it's really annoying to try and have conversations in the car. My grandfather also detests them. 

I'm thinking about just getting a Walker muffler or OEM equivalent and be done with it, but would like original length of the mufflers so I can pick accordingly. I want to say I recall them being about 36" or so. Really just want the Buick to be quiet as it should be and stop mucking about with obnoxious mufflers. I want to be that humble guy that rolls up and parks in the back of the show unnoticed that you spot out of your eye versus the guy everyone judges silently and gets all the attention. 

Since my exhaust system is already butchered, I'm just going to cut the pipes and clamp the new ones on. 

Thanks in advance guys. Grandpa isn't doing very well these days so I just want him to enjoy it the way he remembers, quiet and strong. I'm also getting it painted this year, so it should be a fun year. 

• Like 7

So I stumbled upon this today after looking at "Walker Exhaust Classic Cars" on YouTube. 1961-64 Chevrolet used 2" pipe on their exhaust and the 327 is close enough to a 322, they should be similar, right? They look about the same size, at 27" case end to case end, and this is their stainless steel model (I've heard the aluminized mufflers don't last much longer than a year or two?). Might just be what I'm looking for.

Still hoping someone will chime in with the OEM muffler length!

The 55 muffler case is about 30" long and 56 may be similar, but the clamping was different:  55 used slip fit, the the 56 introduced a ball/socket arrangement commonly called back the day "Buick Clamp".  From Waldron site:

1956BuickSpecialwebphoto.thumb.png.7e578d825cf4440dd96dbeebff62b0d5.png

On one car that I restored, I removed a 20" muffler that was functioning and fit ok, but not for a restored car.  It seems that yours is already far from stock, so have a muffler shop install a slip fit with the needed inlet/outlet size and offset. 

If you want original the best quality and price:  

Martin Johnson

11541 N Stiles Rd

Manistee, MI 49660;

Tel: 231-723-5343,

mjexhaust@yahoo.com

• Like 2

This 34"-long OEM 1956 Buick muffler is still for sale.     http://forums.aaca.org/topic/223027-1956-buick-oem-nos-muffler/?tab=comments#comment-1157190

Inlet is   2.75"   >   2.00"   /   Outlet is   1.75"   <   2.50"   

1-IMG_1716-001.thumb.JPG.c8a940f4bb4d660c1871699a6353926b.JPG   1-IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.f7533ece8afaf018d1fdc871b5718e0d.JPG

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Al, thanks for the offer. unfortunately I would have to buy a whole new system to fit that one muffler, and would still need to find a second one. I can say now though that that muffler is different from the ones I threw away because the exhaust hangar was on the ball socket clamp on the inlet side. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'm glad to hear about the Walker mufflers, I've just heard they rot quick. 

Willie, I wrote down that gentleman's information. Hopefully maybe next year or so I can replace the entire system to go back to OEM, but not this year. Edit: ill be driving to Michigan in May for the formula SAE competition, wouldn't it be convenient to have it replaced while playing with 600cc go karts.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Beemon said:

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'm glad to hear about the Walker mufflers, I've just heard they rot quick. 

In my experience with Walker, it is a good product that I have not have any problems with rot/rusting out.   As much as you drive your Buick the mufflers would have no time to rot out! :D  Let us know what you do with the system.  :)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 8:30 AM, avgwarhawk said:

I have a standard Walker muffler on my 54.   The car runs quiet.  If your current pipe is far from stock as Willie stated, the Walker universal fit muffler will  quiet the engine as you desire. 

Do you by chance know what muffler you have on there? 

I had a lengthy phone call with the girlfriend today. The first 30 minutes was me explaining to her what a muffler is and where to find it. After getting pictures of the transmission oil pan (told her it's a box with pipes coming out of it ???) I told her to go the other way. Being 5 hours away from the car, I want to make sure I get the right mufflers. Installed I have the 3x7 (guessing, doesn't matter) Magnaflow 14" with offset inlet and center outlet. I also know I have 2" pipes front to rear. I've heard using the longer Magnaflows are better for sound but why bother? So it looks like I'm limited to the 4x8 Walkers with an 18" case. I guess I could go to the 26" case ones, but they're 2.25" inlet/outlet and I don't want to use a bunch of adapters. I've heard good reviews about the Walker sound, but most cars running them have resonators. The mufflers for the 55 to 64 Chevy also have the wrong inlet/outlet positions and therefore cannot be used. I'm pretty sure they flow one direction, but I guess a phone call can't hurt. 

Anyways that's where I am currently on this. I don't have a big enough pipe cutter so I'll be using a hack saw... haha

4 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I do not know the Walker muffler number.   Installed already when car was purchased.    Need OD/ID of your current pipes to match OD/ID of the  Walker.     Offset and center inlet and outlet.  

Do you know the case length for reference? 

On 1/16/2018 at 1:42 PM, KAD36 said:

Got a system from Marty (MJ Exhaust) and it fit perfect.  He also sent all the lengthwise dimensions of the exhaust system pieces - if interested I can go dig it up.

Marty was the only person I ever got an exhaust system from that fit as it should, including the very tricky 55 cross over pipe. . I recommend him HIGHLY and his prices were very reasonable..............Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Marty was the only person I ever got an exhaust system from that fit as it should, including the very tricky 55 cross over pipe. . I recommend him HIGHLY and his prices were very reasonable..............Bob

Mr. Bob do you happen to recall what the quote was?

Beemon,

Muffler measure 18x11.   The engine was rebuild in 2006 by the previous owner.  I suspect the exhaust was on before that or installed with the new rebuild.  Of the receipts provided his wife, none had mention of exhaust.  Quite possibly older system than 2006.  I got a few pictures.  One with numbers that may work for identifying it with Walker.

Rear center outlet:

SJ4W4Ru.jpg   

Off set towards the driver side:

i1KUOS6.jpg 

Numbers found. Appears to correspond with  Walker Universal Tru-Fit Mufflers 18177

7OOekg5.jpg

How it looks hanging. Some is tucked into the frame.

jrqjO9N.jpg 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Bob, may I have Marty's contact info.  I was going to let the current system live it's life and replace with proper pipes and muffler when that time comes.  That may come sooner if Marty can make the entire system at a reasonable price.  Thank you, sir!    

36 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Bob, may I have Marty's contact info.  I was going to let the current system live it's life and replace with proper pipes and muffler when that time comes.  That may come sooner if Marty can make the entire system at a reasonable price.  Thank you, sir!    

Most of my records unfortunately got lost. I'm pretty sure Willy (old tank) has that info. I envy his record keeping no end................Bob

2 hours ago, Beemon said:

Mr. Bob do you happen to recall what the quote was?

No I don't. He did 3 of my complete exhaust  systems in aluminized pipes and I remember the cost was less than the "recognized" guys.............Bob  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

On 1/15/2018 at 8:02 AM, old-tank said:

TMartin Johnson

11541 N Stiles Rd

Manistee, MI 49660;

Tel: 231-723-5343,

mjexhaust@yahoo.com

Willie already posted the contact info in the thread, bringing to the top for posterity. I imagine it's the shipping that kills you, though.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Beemon said:

I imagine it's the shipping that kills you, though.

That is always the case, but he will send the tail pipe in 2 pieces to avoid the oversize charge. And in the case of my 55 he supplied the "bend card" to have it fabricated locally!tailpipebendcard.thumb.JPG.cc4b589aaaec8e9962fcbfd2ee7bda71.JPG

This image will not help you and if you find a card for yours you would need to find someone who can read the card and produce the correct ends.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Received a response  Martin Johnson.  Price is very fair in my book.     Ordered the system from cross over back.  Ship sometime next week.       

Funny, I just got in contact with him as well and his prices are really good! What were you quoted shipping?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beemon said:

Funny, I just got in contact with him as well and his prices are really good! What were you quoted shipping?

$50.00.  That is about right using UPS and were it is shipping to(MD).  He did say the over axle pipe will be cut so it reduces shipping costs.  Just as Willy and Big dog described.  Works for me.  It will be nice to have the proper sized muffler.  Always something I wanted to change back but was low on the list.  What I have is doing the trick but was going to replaced eventually.  Eventually just showed up. :D  

• Like 1

Even at the price quoted, I don't want to dip into deep pockets quite yet. I'm going to wait to see how much I get back from taxes, because I do not want to compromise the paint budget. Buying two $40 mufflers is one thing, spending an extra $400 is another. I'm also jobless currently going to school so I have to account for livelihood. 

13 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Even at the price quoted, I don't want to dip into deep pockets quite yet. I'm going to wait to see how much I get back from taxes, because I do not want to compromise the paint budget. Buying two $40 mufflers is one thing, spending an extra $400 is another. I'm also jobless currently going to school so I have to account for livelihood. 

I understand completely.  I can truly say that!  In my college days(1986) I was driving a 73 Buick Estate wagon.   Come to think of it, I installed a Riviera dual exhaust system from Walker on that Estate wagon.  Funny part about it, I was hoping for some growl at the tailpipes.   It was quiet.....thanks to the Walker mufflers.  DOH!   9 passenger Porsche she was.  :D

Good luck in school! 

Consider drilling a tiny hole at the lowest point in the muffler to let the water drain out. Not too big or you will hear it talking. Did you say 2 mufflers? Dual exhaust cars are especially prone to dropping the bottom out of one or both mufflers. They fill the muffler up with water from the combustion process, and it just sits there rusting its way to freedom. The mufflers never get hot enough to boil the water out. The further back on the car they are, the worse they rust. The bottom will drop out of the muffler on the heat riser side in about 6 months. On a car without a heat riser it takes a bit longer, but the bottom falls out of both of them. All of this assumes you are daily driving the car.

I suspect this is the real reason most cars were built with single exhaust during the time when dual exhaust was fashionable. The automakers didn't want to warranty a bunch of mufflers.

Drilling a hole is no panacea, but it helps. Glasspacks cure the quick rust-out issue, but are the wrong answer since you want quiet.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, Beemon said:

Ken, I would be interested to know if you've got the time. 

Hunted for it in my pile of receipts but no joy.

i recall the difference in overall length between the 55/56 was about an inch. The 56 system was a bolt in.  Also, Marty did cut the tailpipe to save shipping and marked it allowing clocking it back into correct position.

No maple trees or BFH needed to make his system fit.  Jumped out of the box and under the car.  Poof.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KAD36 said:

Hunted for it in my pile of receipts but no joy.

i recall the difference in overall length between the 55/56 was about an inch. The 56 system was a bolt in.  Also, Marty did cut the tailpipe to save shipping and marked it allowing clocking it back into correct position.

No maple trees or BFH needed to make his system fit.  Jumped out of the box and under the car.  Poof.

When he cuts the hump, does it need to be welded back together or is it a slip fit collar that can be fastened with a clamp?

Slip fit - expanded about 6 inches just before the peak going over the axle.  Worked out good on my car because I had added a hanger up there to help hold the other fit not so good exhaust in place and reduced the tendency for it to twist.  You could certainly weld it if it suits you.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, Beemon said:

When he cuts the hump, does it need to be welded back together or is it a slip fit collar that can be fastened with a clamp?

Clamp will work.  It is a fitting  of two pipes together like other parts of the exhaust that require an exhaust clamp.   If I get it in this week I'll sho0t over a picture.  

• Like 1

As promised.   System arrived today.  It is very nice overall.  I will not be able to install for a few weeks.  Honey do list is extensive and expensive.

pQcIPeC.jpg   

Ref my shoes to size the muffler.  It is large and in charge. 

niyb6vn.jpg

This is the over the  axle cut for reducing shipping costs.   Works ok for me. Simple use a clamp and done.

aOzvTcA.jpg   

• Like 2

My budget right now is a meager $400 right now and the dual exhaust comes out to $350 before shipping. It's starting to look like a next year project for me. 

Thanks for sharing! I wonder if the mufflers are made 1:1 the originals with no packing and a straight through baffle. One of the things I found out about the original mufflers is that they are heavily chambered and baffled with two tubes, no cross over, and they look like a modern turbo muffler. It was probably a 2 in 1 muffler and resonator, though I guess 57 adopted the Cadillac resonator setup in the tail pipe. 

As it currently stands, there are a few smaller things on my wish list as well. I think for now instead of replacing the muffler, ill see about installing resonators at the tail pipe to mitigate drone. Most likely if i were to replace the muffler, the drone would most likely still be persistent based on others findings. The resonator might also shave off that extra db. I'm currently in the process of trying to map the resonant frequency conditions of the exhaust system per firing order, ID of the tube, etc. to see what can be done on a budget. 

Mr. Johnson's prices are more than fair, I just wish my text books this semester weren't $500.