Lebaron wagon

dougosborn

Just a few thoughts from a grumpy old man.  The 82-? Mopar had problems with carburetors.  I had one catch fire while my wife was going down the interstate.  Firemen are heroes.  One followed my wife and told her about the flames under the car.  He extinguished the fire with the ....full size fire extinguisher he had in his car.   The other was early 80's with the Mitsu carb.  I spent $650 for a new carb to meet emissions.  "Mitsubishi...The Japanese company that helped us win the war."  The carb failed the next year.  Someone in Canada told me how to solve the problem by removing a welch? plug and reaming out the air passage.  It was a time when auto makers were desperate to meet emission regs.

Those were the darkest years for Mopar. 

If you go back to that vintage, look for a turbo wagon starting in 86?. 

Now about Chicago cars.  They RUST!  I don't care what make it is.  Unless they a device to wash the under body EVERY TIME they drove it in the winter, it WILL be toast.

Arizona cars won't have rust, but the paint will be disappearing along with the wood grain totally faded.

I forgot about the wagons larger that the K car chassis. My wife's cousin has one going to the dump. Not a wagon tho.

Edited by Bill Reichert (see edit history)

Thanks for the info on Lebaron's. I owned a number of 84 and 85 conv'ts which I used as my commuter car. I liked them because I could use them year round up here where we get lot's of snow. Good advice on staying away from the Mitsu engine. I will ask about the rust issue.

21 hours ago, dougosborn said:

Good advice on staying away from the Mitsu engine.

11 minutes ago, Bill Reichert said:

Mitsu carbs!

The two came together, and no other way. At least the Mitsubishi engine (and carb) would idle....  The carburetor system on the Chrysler-built engine was far, far worse, and spoiled what was otherwise a bulletproof engine.

TBI or Turbo is what you want.

2 hours ago, Bill Reichert said:

Mitsu carbs!

Actually folks, MIKUNI carburetors on the Mitsubishi 2.6L engine.   "Mitsubishi...The Japanese company that helped us win the war."  

Did the Japs actually help us win the war?

I was under the impression that Mitsubishi built the ZEROS, the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor. They had better carburetors that did not have to meet emission regulations.

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

The two came together, and no other way. At least the Mitsubishi engine (and carb) would idle....  The carburetor system on the Chrysler-built engine was far, far worse, and spoiled what was otherwise a bulletproof engine.

TBI or Turbo is what you want.

Yes, I have to agree here. The Mikuni was actually a fine carburetor. And YES, after removing the 'anti-tamper' plug the Mikuni carburetor would allow the engine to idle better after a little mixture adjustment, BUT the stumble as you accelerated from a stop was a little more difficult to overcome. However, we "The Master Technicians" at the Chrysler dealers were able to correct that issue as well.

On the other hand, the HOLLEY-WEBBER carburetors on the 2.2L were junk. They would fall apart while you were driving. The 'Feedback' system was also new and terribly inadequate. We at the dealerships were all very delighted then the fuel injection systems replaced the carburetors.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, dougosborn said:

I have an 89 TC which I love driving. We recently got a Golden Retriever and there is no room in the TC for her.

I'm looking for a 82-88 Lebaron Town & Country wagon. If anyone knows of one, I'll pay top dollar for the right car.

Thanks, Doug Osborn

With a little ingenuity, you could make a doggy bed on top of the storage compartment lid, behind the front seats. She deserves to ride in style.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update you all on my quest to find a Lebaron wagon. I bought one at the auto auction in Seattle. It was damaged in the front end, nothing serious just some sheet metal. I have already removed the parts and will replace when I find them!! I also need the "shock absorber" that holds the rear lift in the up position, any ideas where I might find one. Thanks for all your earlier suggestion, Doug

On 1/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, dougosborn said:

Thanks for the info on Lebaron's. I owned a number of 84 and 85 conv'ts which I used as my commuter car. I liked them because I could use them year round up here where we get lot's of snow. Good advice on staying away from the Mitsu engine. I will ask about the rust issue.

To be correct, it is Mitsubishi engines and Mikuni carburetors.  If anyone cares...