Stuck worm gear

hidden_hunter

Hi all,

I thought I was getting close to getting my 1922 Cadillac but alas no. I had most of it back together but when I went to put on the chains I couldn’t get more than half a turn out of the chain adjuster before it goes

tight when the book tells me that I should turn it clockwise 6 times. So I’ve had to take most of it apart again 

It moves freely about 1/2 a turn on the adjuster shaft and the locking screw is out

I can see the bottom worm gear moving but the top gear refuses to move. This should rotate to allow you to tension or back off the chains

The camshaft moves freely itself and slides backwards and forward about 1/2” 

I can’t see any physical obstructions or any reason why the gear shouldn’t rotate

I’ve applied a liberal amount of WD40 with no luck, neither of the gears will move (the book says loosen the back one first but neither are moving despite the worm gear)

7A204294-8C0D-439A-A132-8508954A25E6.jpeg

37F7F451-D13A-4B3F-8F3F-4E7290892792.jpeg

A4D754FE-043A-403C-905F-04C33CD92A74.jpeg

8A49FC99-40A2-4871-8F80-B16B83B75C92.jpeg

BC182ADC-DF2E-4677-978C-9B2F12E6BE92.jpeg

DE93EB07-41E0-4113-BF07-48C2C1AA6E14.jpeg

60681634-6BA2-45B4-BB9C-C06F4DD2100C.jpeg

D9136484-1939-4351-8A16-A5C214F214F3.jpeg

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)

My sympathies. You are not having a lot of fun with your Cadillac.

I have no experience with these motors, so cannot be of much help.

So sleeve H is an integral part of locking gear A, and sleeve H has seized onto carrier C? Or conversely gear A has seized against the locking surfaces in the block casting. (Or both). And the cam runs in a bush supported by carrier C. And the assembly cannot be removed for freeing up, unless sleeve H/gear A are rotated in the block, unlocking the camming effect. Tricky place to be waving the gas torch around in, as well. Hardened sleeves, etc. The block looks to be alloy, too. Not an easy one to put on the stove for a good boiling, either! And I'm always wary of subjecting blocks to shock loads. The teeth on gear A look like they would take a few light taps using a bronze drift, though.

Hopefully a Cadillac man will chime in, now that your problem is more obvious from the workshop manual.

Good luck with it,  Mick.

Ivan on this forum is familiar with them, keep the heading towards the top and I’m sure he will answer. Putting it in the Cadillac section and HCCA section would not hurt either. 

6 hours ago, Turbine Tech said:

Can't help to say the picture of the cam bearing area looks like the bearing bore is cracked on the right side.

We think that might have happened when the top cover disintegrated and bits of metal went flying through the motor

However, we had success today - the old man tapped it back and forth for a while and eventually it freed up. Now both the lock and tensioner are moving easily and both gears are turning.

Ive got the top cover back on and 12 of the valves so back on track 

• Like 2