Part needed for 1941 Buick Special

hwdcne

Hello:  I am new to this forum and hoping that somebody can help me!  I have a 1941 Buick Special with only 24,000 original miles and I accidentally broke the shifter control housing in the steering column that the shift lever fastens to.  It is made out of a pot metal so cannot weld.  I have called probably 15 classic car salvage yards with no luck in locating this part.  If I get desperate enough, I can have a local talented black smith perhaps fabricate this part, but it will be very expensive to do.  I have the car listed for sale and had this unfortunate thing happen when I was in the process of installing a new battery and trying to start the engine.  If any body has a idea who would have this part, I would forever be grateful!  Thanks!

100_0286.JPG

IMG_20171229_155945577.jpg

IMG_20171228_145013699.jpg

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I would suspect that Dave Tacheny would be the most likely source of that part. He is the leading 1936-1941 Buick parts supplier. You can reach him by phone between 4 pm and 7 pm Central at 763-427-3460. 

You will get a better response in the Buick forums below

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/12-buick-buysell/

Group 4.022 Part 1319350

Used on 1941 to 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952 series 40 & 50

Will not be hard to find, but you may have to buy a complete steering column to get that one part

1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 119-A.pdf

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

9 hours ago, 50jetback said:

I've had a lot of good experiences with these people

http://stores.ebay.com.au/rpmmotorsportsinc/

I don't know if you realize it or not but they buy most or all of their parts and Parts cars from Dave Tacheny. When you deal with them, you are usually getting Dave's castoffs, or at best, you are paying higher prices than you could buy the part direct from Dave.   

I don't know if you realize it or not but they buy most or all of their parts and Parts cars from Dave Tacheny. When you deal with them, you are usually getting Dave's castoffs, or at best, you are paying higher prices than you could buy the part direct from Dave.   

I was under the impression Dave only dealt with 1937/38 Buicks. Does he keep inventory for later models, late 40's into the 50's?

These people have a huge inventory across all makes and models. I wouldn't have thought Dave was the source of their Ford, Dodge, Chev, AMC, Olds, GMC, etc or even later model Buick inventory.    

They are very competitive in pricing and happy to pull parts from cars upon request and most importantly have no problem packaging and posting to international destinations, like Australia.

I have dealt with both Dave and RPM motors and have received good service and product from both. 

Their 1936-1941 Buick Parts typically come from Dave Tacheny. I don't know about their other sources for other types of cars. In regards to 1937 or 1938 Buick parts (which is what I have personal experience with) after comparing the quality and prices, I recommend people contact Dave.

Thanks so much for the info.!  I was able to get in touch with Dave today and he said he would sell me the complete steering column and that would probably be OK but I had contacted a fellow earlier that has 4 steering columns and every shift lever housing collar was broken.  Dave says he will not guarantee anything about the parts.  How do I proceed? I am not interested in having a complete steering column shipped to me only to find it has the same problem I already have.  I have a local machinist/blacksmith trying to determine if he can fabricate the collar.  If anybody could, it would probably be him, but there are some curious angles and things that will need to be figured out.

I have several '41's.  I will look and see if I have one that is not broken.  Give me a few days.  Up to a week as I am filling sold orders this week.  I will let you know either way via private message.  Please let me know if you find on in the mean time to save me some hunting time.  

Thank you.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A good welding supply store can supply you with a welding rod to gas weld pot metal. Your blacksmith guy should be able to do it. Another possibility is to glue it together and make a mold off of it  and cast a new one. A plaster mold will give you a part that is close to finished as cast. You would only have to thread it and cut the slot and such. If you find a good one would you be interested in using the broken one to make patterns to cast new ones?

Edited by Turbine Tech (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...