A 1958 Lincoln in your Family Room! Info. needed.

John_S_in_Penna

Here's an unusual piece of literature which I'd like to know more about:

"The Lincoln Look in Your Living Garage."

I found it on the internet a long time ago.  It shows a garage built

to be open to a family's rec room, so a car fan could enjoy his house

and look at his 1958 Lincoln at the same time.  Wouldn't the wives

love this concept in house design!

Anyway, I'd like to do an article on this unusual design, if I can

find more about it.  Does anyone have this piece of literature,

or know what it is?  (The AACA Library doesn't.)  It looks like it 

was developed in conjunction with a tile organization, an

appliance manufacturer, and others.  Can you help?  I have

only these 3 images, and I suspect there is more to it,

especially some prose along with the pictures;  and I'd like to

get a high-quality scan as well.

Meanwhile, it might give you ideas for your next house project!

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 1.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 2.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 3.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Boy is that Iconic!

Hope you find more pictures and info about it.

I know building codes around here would squash that idea in a heartbeat due to Grimy's posting above.

However, I had a customer that still had his '57 Chev street race car from the 60's and totally restored it to showroom condition. He lived out in the county and while having a four car garage where he worked on various cars, didn't like the Chev sitting there getting dust creeping under the car cover so...

Hired a friend with a backhoe and graded a driveway down to the basement level, put in a garage door and parked her in his beautifully finished rec room with pool table and bar. 

Looking at the front of the house no one would suspect a thing until descending the stairs and there is a yellow '57 on the black and white checked flooring. 

Only a fully immersed car guy gets this right? :D

Looking forward to seeing more on this article.

I have a friend who built a large living room addition where he displayed a tractor, a ford Model A, and a large collection of antique tools. Shortly after occupying the room and sitting on the couch in the evening, there was a pervading smell of gasoline. He drained the gas from the vehicles and things were fine. I linear floor level exhaust may have worked.

Model A's and tractors are easy to drain. That Lincoln may be old enough to have a drain plug, but seems more difficult.

I use my garage in a similar manner, although not so much as a living room, but more a hermitage. I have one nice chair that I sit in and another, significantly less comfortable, in case someone stops by.

Here is a picture from the upstairs of our house. Doesn't look very inviting does it. Wear your boots. I don't shovel a path.

Bernie

003001.jpg.01b5abc567ef91eaf23858c3df99ea51.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Here is a picture from the upstairs of our house. Doesn't look very inviting does it. Wear your boots. I don't shovel a path.

Bernie

I'm pretty sure I would be done with that tree.

Next years fire wood.

Last years lawnmower?

15 hours ago, Grimy said:

Don't think I'd like to be in that living room when 430 cubic inches fires up on full choke...

You would have nothing to worry about!! The 430 and its sister 383 in the Mercury were the worst thing Ford ever made!  It probably wouldn't run long enough to asphyxiate you!

I was an L- M service manager then and we had to recall the first 9 months production and perform an "engine modification procedure"

Rumor was the body division  pulled a body a year early ( the 1957 BIG M ) and survived so the engine division thought they could do likewise!   

I think a blind man could have done better. They actually tried to fit a square peg (pushrod) into a round hole(rocker arm)!

SPEAKING OF A BLIND MAN: We had one as a customer. He bought a Merc with the 383 in it . He rebuilt his carburetor himself !

His occupation was radio and TV repair!  He was a WWII  p.o.w. in Germany. They had surgically removed his eyeballs for an experiment!

He said the surgeon was very good.

15 hours ago, Grimy said:

I could see it if there was a glass wall between the garage and living area, and you were a real gone car guy. But, to me the whole thing was an advertising gimmick. You find a lot of magazine ads from the fifties showcasing new decorating products and ideas using some far out applications, anything that will catch the eye and make people stop and read the ad. I doubt you will find any more info because there isn't any more info, just the one ad with that gimmick.

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have a friend who built a large living room addition where he displayed a tractor, a ford Model A, and a large collection of antique tools. Shortly after occupying the room and sitting on the couch in the evening, there was a pervading smell of gasoline. He drained the gas from the vehicles and things were fine. I linear floor level exhaust may have worked.

Model A's and tractors are easy to drain. That Lincoln may be old enough to have a drain plug, but seems more difficult.

I use my garage in a similar manner, although not so much as a living room, but more a hermitage. I have one nice chair that I sit in and another, significantly less comfortable, in case someone stops by.

Bernie

You’re such a stinker. I bet you’d be a riot to have coffee with. 

The fine print on the 3rd of the 3 pages posted

indicates that this is the residence of Mr. and Mrs.

Fred M. Zeder II in Greenwich, Connecticut.

Fred M. Zeder was a top executive with Chrysler

Corporation, so this is apparently his son's house.

Evidently the son was a bit of a car enthusiast, too!

I don't know where this came from.  It seems a cross

between a house-magazine article and a Lincoln promotional piece. 

14 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

You’re such a stinker. I bet you’d be a riot to have coffee with. 

Like having coffee with a silver tongued chameleon. flattery never got a path shoveled.

I just drove my Wife's Tahoe close to the man door and back for a walking path..... just for me.

• Haha 1

I never found a shovel that was a good fit. My Great Aunt told me I was one of a group that was bred in old Ireland to be able to swing a 50 pound broadsword hours at a time and write poetry.

Now, my Wife, her whole family immigrated from from Denmark, one of those Presidentially preferred counties, they adapt to snow. She can pick up any shovel and just go to town. I have stood in the window watching, but I just wonder if there are drawbacks to being that adaptable.

Tom Sawyer's creator Mark was from Elmira, I spent a week there at the Psych Center....... fixin' an absorption chiller.