Ronnie

What do you like and/or dislike about the Reatta?

This is a very old photo of my car but it's the best I have at the moment. The thing I wonder about is the "flourish" in the pinstripe to the rear of the door. I tried cropping and focusing on that area but apparently I failed. I don't see the same sort of thing on the vast majority of Reatta pics so I am wondering if this is rare or the pinstriper had some latitude in their application of the stripe? It is definitely the original painted stripe. DSC00213.thumb.JPG.5b2240e837d4018188c3b92b6ab2e27e.JPG

12 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I tried cropping and focusing on that area but apparently I failed.

Here you go, Buddy-

(click 3 times to greatly magnify- in another window) 

2_SEATER_PINSTRIPE_CLOSEUP.thumb.jpg.c2cddfcc3cf3bbfdcc5fceb052fd74ce.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2seater said:

if this is rare or the pinstriper had some latitude in their application of the stripe?

Hiccup? Sneeze? Signature? Were these applied "by hand", device, or...?

41 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Hiccup? Sneeze? Signature? Were these applied "by hand", device, or...?

I have no idea how it was applied other than it is painted. I have seen painted pinstripes being applied but usually on something that had an edge or some feature that could be used as a guide for a device with a wheel that maintained the spacing. It seems very long to be done completely freehand. Both sides are the same so if it was an error, it was repeated. I would think there must be a template of some sort, perhaps a tape overlay as a sort of stencil. It is a question I had been meaning to ask for a long time as my stripe needs to be replaced due to wear.

I can tell you that the pin stripe isn't uniform in the thickness of it. I buffed my car last winter and I decided to remove the pinstripe since it was already worn off in places. As soon as I touched it with the buffer in some places it disappeared. In other places the pin stripe needed a lot of buffing to remove it. Also it should be noted that the pin stripe is painted over the clear coat. I guess that is the reason it wears away with washing over the years and can be removed without damaging the paint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i might have mentioned how much i hate the factory reatta wheels.they are in the attic in case these cars are ever collectable.

My stock wheels have been off my car for so long I forgot that while they might have been "right" in 1988-1990 in my opinion are way out dated. There are lots of orther choices out there that dress up the Reatta.

My stock wheels are in the attic too. I started looking for different wheels when my brother-in-law told me he liked my new Reatta but thought I should get rid of the hubcaps and get some mag wheels for it. I think the stock wheels look good with some Reatta colors but the color red on my car just screams chrome to me. jmho :)

If you think about it....the car goes thru the paint operation and the clear coat is part of that operation.......otherwise, they would be pinstriped then run thru the paint again and could get contamination on the paint before clear coat.

Technically the pin stripe was added by hand.....but the operator used a pin stripe tool....not a brush and there was a fixture that guided the tool, I have see a picture of the fixture on the car and the car being pinstriped.

The operator did not have extra time to do his "thing" with the pinstripe........that extra was added by someone else.......possibly the car was restriped at some point and that extra was added.

Also......there was a "Pinstripe Delete" option on the order form.......you got $45 credit when the car was ordered without a pinstripe.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

If you think about it....the car goes thru the paint operation and the clear coat is part of that operation.......otherwise, they would be pinstriped then run thru the paint again and could get contamination on the paint before clear coat.

Technically the pin stripe was added by hand.....but the operator used a pin stripe tool....not a brush and there was a fixture that guided the tool, I have see a picture of the fixture on the car and the car being pinstriped.

The operator did not have extra time to do his "thing" with the pinstripe........that extra was added by someone else.......possibly the car was restriped at some point and that extra was added.

Also......there was a "Pinstripe Delete" option on the order form.......you got $45 credit when the car was ordered without a pinstripe.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing pinstriping being put down with a wheel fed by a small reservoir. So I gather no one else has an aberration like this? I suppose anything is possible during the first few years of its life and I have vague recollections of the previous owner telling me the car was purchased in the Detroit area. I am sure the car was not repainted judging by the number of paint chips but added after the fact when it was new?? Maybe. I guess I will have to look at it in detail when it comes out in the spring. I don't remember there being any sign it was modified on the original stripe but that's only going by my shaky memory.  Thanks for the input.

This styling trend seemed to be an early 1990s thing.  I had a hot boat during that time and many of the boats on Lake Michigan had that same EKG look.

Here is a pic of the 1990 Corvette Pace car that the factory included as a dealer installed decal.  Somewhat the same idea.

90 pace car.jpg

Does this sound feasible? I looked at that symbol- and it reminded me of the '90's trend of a decal on things, of an EKG "heartbeat" signifying "it makes your heart beat" or "I love it", etc.

il_340x270.897902142_p4o2.jpg.ceda0137497a8b41b9fc396a01a223a8.jpgthHZ9XIAPA.jpg.7cad5f383cd89aa39b3bd455f01b6697.jpgth35OWGO3M.jpg.cf7cf209f9a1157f7316309ae2abff57.jpgthRJ1F179R.jpg.2258b8e90f74804711bcf2f72467c5ed.jpg  2_SEATER_PINSTRIPE_CLOSEUP.thumb.jpg.4bf6f0097da512f08c766a008300315c.jpg