What have you learned on the AACA Forum?

trimacar

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I can be a finicky perfectionist when it comes to calling out details sometimes.

It is fine - they will end up with a better car and if they chose to correct then it is one more complaint that they will not hear at show, time to sell, or ....

I classify it as falling under phrase such as:  "It Takes a Village."

• Like 1

Just now, Restorer32 said:

Once had a fellow call me from California regarding a set of stainless Packard top irons we made for him.   His complaint?  The rivets we made for his top were 20 thousand bigger in diameter than the originals.

You can make the rivets on mine + or + the size of the original, as long as you apply engineering your smarts and strongly feel that is what is needed for a well engineered part. 

• Like 1

" we still buy old open cars with no creature comforts.  " and wear hair shirts.

" to much to say " Just read and type very fast. Also more entertaining that yet another Roadkill repeat.

Prefer fixing things and reporting on how but mostly in marque forums. Doubt that many care here that a HELLA 007793041 50A can replace an unobtainium Bosch 0 332 002 175. This forum is mainly for humour and entertainment (was an AACA member for years before realizing this forum existed.

OTOH worked for GM during the Glory Years and know how these cars were built. Didn't always work so slipstreamed a lot of fixes. Have no doubt some would prefer a car that had the failed part.

I've learned that all car people, regardless of where they live, respond to cars the same way. Our hobby is not even continent specific. It  transcends language, age and geography. Speaking of geography, I've also come to appreciate how provincial some people's view of the world really is. Some folks really should get out more.

I get the feeling this supposed to be a parody on crazy things we've learned by visiting this AACA site. 

I don't really have much to complain or joke about. I've found wonderful helpful people here. This site is part of my regular routine.  If I step away from this AACA site and talk about the vintage culture in general I'd have lots to say:

- Stock powertrain is no good. You need an overdrive unit and shorter gears in the rear end to keep up with modern traffic.

- Old cars keeping up with modern traffic is a great thing. Lack of any safety issues is irrelevant

- All stock brakes and all bias tires suck.

- 6V systems are terrible. They must be removed at once and everything tossed away. Replace with a complete 12V system

- Dual carbs, intake manifolds, headers, and dual exhaust will bring the babes around

- Paint, wax, chrome, rims, window tint and addressing the general appearance of a vintage car is way more of a priority than any mechanical or safety repairs

I happen to disagree with every statement above. Yet for many, this seems to be the only way to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

I get the feeling this supposed to be a parody on crazy things we've learned by visiting this AACA site. 

I don't really have much to complain or joke about. I've found wonderful helpful people here. This site is part of my regular routine.  If I step away from this AACA site and talk about the vintage culture in general I'd have lots to say:

- Stock powertrain is no good. You need an overdrive unit and shorter gears in the rear end to keep up with modern traffic.

- Old cars keeping up with modern traffic is a great thing. Lack of any safety issues is irrelevant

- All stock brakes and all bias tires suck.

- 6V systems are terrible. They must be removed at once and everything tossed away. Replace with a complete 12V system

- Dual carbs, intake manifolds, headers, and dual exhaust will bring the babes around

- Paint, wax, chrome, rims, window tint and addressing the general appearance of a vintage car is way more of a priority than any mechanical or safety repairs

I happen to disagree with every statement above. Yet for many, this seems to be the only way to go.

Just keep in mind Keith , you are only dealing with what many would consider " newer cars " regarding the O.D. and ring and pinion changes.

Otherwise I do generally  agree with your post. 

Many " Old" cars; even early Classic era cars, can benefit from a final drive ratio change for higher speed situations. And aftermarket ,high speed ring and pinion gears are probably more common than you think in the " big boy " cars.

Some cars had good brakes when new , and some were lacking braking power even in the 35 M.P.H. world of the past. Just look at how popular things like Rocky Mountain  brake conversions are  with the Model T guys. And they have been on the market since the 1920's .

Never one size fits all, at least not in my world.

But yes, lots of ill informed people out there.

If you are ever passing through the Mainland try to stop in. My house rebuild is a bit less chaotic these days.

Greg

Good closed sedans often and regularly auction for more money than roadsters and other open cars. But then again, good looking closed cars are very, very rare.

• Thanks 1

Grimy is a great guy, and we see eye to eye on most things.....and have the same distorted sense of humor. Also, he is a Veteran, can’t remember if it’s the Prince Phillips war, or Metacomet's War ........ but anyone who fought with flint locks and long bow’s deserves respect.

AJ on the other hand, is my low class, low end sidekick at Pebble and Amelia. I have to have someone to clean the mud off the chassis............and to be fair,  he is a decent guy, with a great wife and nice family....what they see in him is beyond me. How do I get away with this stuff with him? Easy, I work on his cars for free.......so he tolerates me....to an extent. 

If any other forum  member would like similar abuse, just PM me, and I can start in on you also.😎 

It’s too bad that bad language and personal attacks are not allowed......or I would really lay it on thick.......but that’s what the HAMB is for.....

Sad as it is to say........the above is humor....don’t get bent over it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Doozer said:

Ed is really mean to A.J. 
However he is really nice to everyone else. Except maybe Grimy.

No worries here--Fast Eddie and I keep each other sort-of honest....

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Grimy is a great guy, and we see eye to eye on most things.....and have the same distorted sense of humor. Also, he is a Veteran, can’t remember if it’s the Prince Phillips war, or Metacomet's War ........ but anyone who fought with flint locks and long bow’s deserves respect.

It was the Peloponnesian War (431-404 BC), Ed, how many times do I have to tell you?  I'll send you some Prevagen for your birthday....

10 minutes ago, Grimy said:

No worries here--Fast Eddie and I keep each other sort-of honest....

It was the Peloponnesian War (431-404 BC), Ed, how many times do I have to tell you?  I'll send you some Prevagen for your birthday....

I would forget to take it........by the way, what about the 350 bucks you borrowed? 😝

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

I thought you were going to say AJ cleaned the mud off your shoes. 

Best laugh I had since COVID 19 came out.......🤣

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, charlier said:

I believe that the giant meet you described usually takes place at Fall Hershey after 5:00 PM in the Flea Market (except for this year).  😁

For 49 years I have been at the fall meet......this would have been my 50th.........we never party or have anything left after 5pm. Humping tons of junk, walking countless miles, and carrying heavy iron treasures mean we never consume alcoholic beverages at Hershey...sad but true. One beer at 7pm and I would pass out till 6am thr next morning. The rituals we do there never vary hot, cold, rain, dry, Hershey must be walked......every row of it. My feet are getting sore just typing this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I have learned that Marvel Mystery Oil will apparently cure any engine problem and that is is apparently possible to do a show quality paint job with rattle cans.

You forgot the engine rebuild in a can that fixes bad rings, valves, and bearings.

• Like 1

What I have learned is the confirmation/validation of my 45 year opinion(which I am ridiculed and held in comtempt for) is that, though it takes a certian amount of intelligence to execute the tasks involved with repair,rebuilding ,restoring ,or even owning vintage automobiles ,making the choice of doing so is Not necessarily a sign of intelligance.