1927/1928 rear axle/diff rebuild

RichBad

I don’t think there’s a direct modern replacement to the original felt inner seals (two felt seals inside pressed steel housings).  

I turned up a couple of adaptors in aluminium which sit inside the original steel housings but take a modern neoprene seal.  I can’t find the seal part numbers but according to my notes they were 1.43 x 2.06 x 0.31.

as Matt said, the outer seals also need the housing (and hub) to be machined if you want to use modern seals - mine were 1.975 x 3 x 0.375.

if you do go with modern inner seals you probably need to add a breather.

cheers

• Like 1

The outer seal came in yesterday and I’m going to machine the outer bearing carrier today to make it fit. 
outer seal I’m using is F6252 -33-72-10 this one needs the carrier to be machined. 

Inner seal I used but a bit tight is 

1.437- 2.327. I like the sound of Rich’s idea better. 
Thanks for reminding me about the breather to Rich I forgot all about doing that. Where did you run yours from?

ECBA8F51-9AA5-4598-B57B-6FD04268557D.jpeg

074DB7E2-6ED7-4B6F-8A72-D9396458B5AE.jpeg

I just added a 1/8 hole to one of the rear cover bolts - top right (viewed from rear) I think.  That’s what Bob recommended - I thought it may get a little oil seepage and if it did I was going to add a tube but hasn’t seen a drop