Modifying

retiredmechanic74

I am very strongly thinking of changing the looks of my 89 Reatta. I don't have any intention of selling the car but I want to make it unique. I am seriously thinking of removing the trunk lid extend the roof and moving the rear window to set over the taillights. Hinge the window so it will open and install a rear seat. I have the door glass from when I modified my S-10 and window regulators to use for the side glass and I was wondering what you guys think of that idea? Would you mind putting in your 2 cents in? I would like to know. If I deside to do this I will keep you updated with pictures.  For some reason I can not find a way to respond to individual questions. 

Edited by retiredmechanic74
being asked questions and no way to answer. (see edit history)

Back when I had an '88 Nissan Pulsar NX, there was an available "square hatch" to replace the OEM "fastback" type. I did not get it. The Pulsar had a fold-down rear seat, but not much headroom, and it was very cramped- so few used it, so it was essentially a "2 seater" car- for practical purposes. Here is a photo of an '89 with the "square hatch".

1989-nissan-pulsar-n13-exa-hatchback-3d-1.thumb.jpg.84064e9fe08073e0b9ce9d3562964648.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retiredmechanic74 said:

I am very strongly thinking of changing the looks of my 89 Reatta. I don't have any intention of selling the car but I want to make it unique. I am seriously thinking of removing the trunk lid extend the roof and moving the rear window to set over the taillights. Hinge the window so it will open and install a rear seat. I have the door glass from when I modified my S-10 and window regulators to use for the side glass and I was wondering what you guys think of that idea? Would you mind putting in your 2 cents in? I would like to know. If I deside to do this I will keep you updated with pictures.  

you must be good at bodywork.could you make a drawing of what you want to do.

Well, that would certainly change the look:o It would likely need a rear suspension upgrade as the Reatta only has a 450#-500# weight capacity rating. I don't know if the sister Riviera has a stiffer rear spring leaf or they just made up the need with the rear air struts?

I remember seeing those Pulsars with the hatch back type attachment. An interesting idea, but apparently not very popular as I saw very few so equipped. I did think that iteration of the Pulsar was a good looking car in stock form, particularly the tail lamps which were very unique.

Save for the weight limit of the rear suspension, I've thought once or twice a Reatta could make for an interesting El-Camino type conversion with a flat vertical rear window and a pickup bed in place of the storage bins and trunk. Probably not the most tasteful mod, admittedly. I'd be interested to see a sketch of what is being planned in the first post. I get the general idea, by think you'd be stuck with fixed glass on the sides for the "rear windows"  rather than functional ones as the rear wheel wells would interfere too much.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KDirk said:

I did think that iteration of the Pulsar was a good looking car in stock form, particularly the tail lamps which were very unique.

Yes, I really enjoyed mine. It was taken away from me, in my own driveway, while on my way to work- nearly killing me, too. A drunk old man "thought he pressed the brake", barreled through an intersection, hitting 2 cars, then mine. I had just gotten back in- after putting the tops in the back. I'm very lucky to be here. :rolleyes:

Video of my Cousin, GF, and I putting a clutch in it is on my YouTube channel- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs5j0zyAo5c  and rear brakes here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV8d85kVa6A  I really miss that little gem. I was the 3rd owner, and had it for 11 years. :(

It just so happens that I owned a Pulsar back in the 90's before my first Reatta. It was an under-powered little 4 cyl that commonly blew head gaskets. After fixing that a thrust washer flew apart in the automatic transmission and took out some planetary gears. The only way to break even was to rebuild it myself. I was glad to collect the insurance check after my son borrowed it and totaled it.

I really don't like the looks of the Pulsar ( To square)  and KDirk brought up a good point about the fixed glass, however I can make them swing out.  As far as the suspension goes  99% of the time I am the only one in the car so I wouldn't do much or anything to the suspension. Right now I have come across a Volvo Pv544 which I'm trying to obtain. If I get that the Buick will have to wait. I always wanted to take the 544 and make a miniature 47 Ford out of it. I've been fabricating sense I was 16 (you should here some of the stories I told my wife) :) 

Edited by retiredmechanic74 (see edit history)

That's an interesting concept. I take it that you are also planning front end and hood modifications based on the sketch? I do kind of like it, though with the front end changes it is getting just a little distant from being recognizable as a Reatta. Looks like a proper back seat is present as well.

That's a good job on the sketch you made. I wish I could do that. I imagine a lot of people have ideas about changes they would like to make in the looks of the Reatta. A while back I was thinking out loud on the ROJ forum and this is something I posted. I would never do it. I was just thinking... :)

attachment.php?aid=907

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 4:43 PM, Ronnie said:

That's a good job on the sketch you made. I wish I could do that. I imagine a lot of people have ideas about changes they would like to make in the looks of the Reatta. A while back I was thinking out loud on the ROJ forum and this is something I posted. I would never do it. I was just thinking... :)

attachment.php?aid=907

kinda reminds me of KIT from Knight Rider :D

20 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

How's this? I can do this for people- because I quit drinking. This is an awesome looking cruiser.

RM-74-2018.thumb.jpg.d23832c378b988a42c646234f7b69e24.jpg

Wow, nice drawing. I still see the lower shape of the Reatta and the re-imagined front and upper. Having zero body modifying skill myself, I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe a couple of drinks will help ;) Thanks to RDG for getting this out to the rest of us.

• Thanks 1

PhotoScape has made a whole new upgraded version, just for WindowsX. This was easy. Open .pdf, then capture screen. Resize to whatever, frame it, turn it into a .png or .jpg to post it. PS is a wonderful program. You are all very welcome- I just wanted to make this beautiful drawing easy for all to see here.:)

• Like 1

Ronnie....I like that sinister look the grill gives it.  I was outside looking at the car and realized I have to stop the grill addition at the base of the hood other wise I will lose access to the headlight motors.  KDirk  I plan on (or hoping to) change it to be one of a kind as I did with my S-10. My S-10 draws a lot of people at car shows and I get the opportunity to engage in many conversations. I hope to do the same with the Reatta. The Reatta has notoriety now, but I would like to take it a step further. I always liked custom cars because they show creative concepts and uniqueness. It's like I tell everyone at car shows about my S-10.........I can't rob banks with it.:)

• Haha 1

I like the looks you gave the Reatta better then the Ferrari, but I'm wanting to go with a bigger grill for two reasons, I like the looks of a bigger grill and, more air for the radiator. Here in South Carolina it can get pretty hot in the summer time. Right now I making some changes to my S-10, 4th time I've done this (trying to keep something new for the car shows) but soon as the weather starts warming up I think I'm going to start on the Reatta ( I'll post pics of progress) Thanks for the input.

• Like 2

I admire you for being able to draw what you like and your ability to build it. To me it appears you will only have the hood, the turn/corner lights and maybe some interior parts that will be recognized as a Buick Reatta. If you want a car that looks like the one you drew, which will be an interesting and unique car, why start with a Reatta and not something with back seats and more performance?

3 hours ago, retiredmechanic74 said:

Here in South Carolina it can get pretty hot in the summer time.

Where you are- it's advisable to do the "170*F Thermostat upgrade" and add a "fan controller" or get your ECM PROM tweaked. I forgot how much the guy at Sinister charges? Somebody will chime in.

...Ronnie, It's the challenge more then it is the car. I just happen to own a unique car and it's begging me to change it.

89RedDarkGray......I have installed a relay into the fan system to over ride its control so when I turn on the key the fan runs, and with the existing thermostat I get good heat when it gets cold without having to change thermostats I've done this with every car I've owned that didn't have a belt driven fan. I also did this for my customers when I was in business.     

Edited by retiredmechanic74 (see edit history)
  • Like 1