31-32 Plymouth transmission interchange

31plymouth

Since PA had floating power the motor mounts------------------engine and trans were unique to that model       PB trans may work but no others-------what is wrong with gears ????-----------------------------------I do have a PB trans     where are you ????    E mail me at     bobnroman@yahoo.com

My original trans had straight gears, not helical like the later PA and PB.  It broke a tooth on the cluster gear .  I had a spare trans sitting on the shelf for 25 years and when I examined it the same gear (high) had a chipped tooth !.  

I have a 32 trans in the car now but I wish I could have a spare and also find a cluster gear to fix one of the others

• 3 weeks later...

By "cluster gear", you mean the countershaft gear?

Ply33.com should have a part number, but seems to have a problem. Tod gives a number 377126 for the countershaft gear assembly for PA & PB; that is the number for the countershaft (not the gear) in some Dodges, specifically DD, DC, DH, DI, DJ, DG, DL, DK, DM, but not all of each of these models. It looks like this might be the number of a spur cut gear for easy shift - freewheeling boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have learned that the countershaft gear is also called a cluster gear.   My PA is an earlier one with the spur gears.  Per the Master parts book, the countershaft gear for my PA (serial number 1593203) is part number 391220   Last item on left hand page 21-11 of master parts book

Edited by 31plymouth
spelling (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

#391220 is used on some DD, DI, DH Dodges. It is called the "Countershaft gear assembly" so may include other parts like the bearings, spacer(s), thrust washer and shaft.

The cars with the spur gear seem to have had "easy shift with freewheeling". On the DD, it was transmission #377657 and it looks like most of the DH Dodges with this gear had that transmission too. It is pretty hard to navigate the way through it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 5:09 PM, 31plymouth said:

Does anyone know if a different transmission will fit a 31 Plymouth.        Dodge , DeSoto ,Chrysler?  others?    Still looking for a 31 Spur/straight toothed cluster gear.

Hello, If you are still looking for a PA trans i have a good used one for $150.   Don

• 8 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 4:30 PM, 31plymouth said:

Yes, I have learned that the countershaft gear is also called a cluster gear.   My PA is an earlier one with the spur gears.  Per the Master parts book, the countershaft gear for my PA (serial number 1593203) is part number 391220   Last item on left hand page 21-11 of master parts book

Hi.  I am also looking for a cluster-gear (or whole trans) for my 1931 Chrysler CM-6. 

Any info please text 954-336-0027.  Thanx.  

On 1/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, 31plymouth said:

My original trans had straight gears, not helical like the later PA and PB.  It broke a tooth on the cluster gear .  I had a spare trans sitting on the shelf for 25 years and when I examined it the same gear (high) had a chipped tooth !.  

I have a 32 trans in the car now but I wish I could have a spare and also find a cluster gear to fix one of the others

Hi. Hope you see this almost 2 years later !!

Do you know what years trans would fit a 1931 mopar 6 cylinder !?!?  I have a '31 Chrysler CM-6. 

On 1/7/2018 at 5:09 PM, 31plymouth said:

Does anyone know if a different transmission will fit a 31 Plymouth.        Dodge , DeSoto ,Chrysler?  others?    Still looking for a 31 Spur/straight toothed cluster gear.

What are the numbers on your case.  I have some 31 transmissions.  Don