Fitting window frames

Wheelmang

My 26 DB came with a full set of old somewhat rusty window frames that were not installed. After blasting and painting I discovered that they will not fit into the opening in the doors. The screw/bolt holes also do not line up on the vertical sides of any of them. The horizontal holes appear to be close. It is my conclusion that these are not originally from this car. It looks like they can be "persuaded- pried" into the openings. Is that a standard procedure for installing these or is there some secret method? I can weld fill the old holes and countersink punch new ones.   

Thanks for your feedback.

Paul

Frame 1.JPG

Frame 2.JPG

Frame 3.jpg

Something doesn't look quite right to me. Most garnish mouldings are used to retain the window channel. Where you have it placed there is a large gap between the moulding and the window channel which makes me think that something is missing or they are not the correct mouldings, but I am not familiar with that early model.

1 hour ago, jpage said:

Something doesn't look quite right to me. Most garnish mouldings are used to retain the window channel. Where you have it placed there is a large gap between the moulding and the window channel which makes me think that something is missing or they are not the correct mouldings, but I am not familiar with that early model.

It is not pushed into the door frame all of the way. That is why it looks to be too far away from the channel. Looks to be the wrong moulding.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Relatively certain they are not from this car. The dilemma is a little clearer in the 3rd picture. If you look at the area above my hand you can see daylight. The area below my hand is too wide to fit into the opening. The right side of that same frame/garnish is in place and fits fine. None of the door openings or frames are completely square. The rough dimensions of the frame vs. the rough dimensions of the openings in the doors say if I can coerce the frame into the opening it will fit. As I have nothing to lose on these frames I have made one of them fit by breaking a weld at one of the corners, removing about 1/16" of the horizontal portion and welding back together. The next option is to grind a little metal off an inner part of the frame that will not show. All of the vertical holes will need to be filled and re positioned to match the holes in the doors. Interesting process. I will take pictures and post my success or lack there of.

Does anyone know if the original bevel head bolts/screws used to attach the frames to the doors were brass? The bottom were screws as they went into part of the wood frame under the metal frame. Based on the bevel I guess they were a #8 or possibly #10 screw. Could use the dimensions for all if anyone has them. 

Thanks all for looking!

Paul

I have a 31 Dodge with the same problem. Came with the incorrect window moldings.

Very frustrating.

Mine don't even come close to fitting the windows, at least yours are closer.

I will assume that you have tried all of the location possibilities.

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I have a 31 Dodge with the same problem. Came with the incorrect window moldings.

Very frustrating.

Mine don't even come close to fitting the windows, at least yours are closer.

I will assume that you have tried all of the location possibilities.

Yeah tried all possibilities on position. Spent about 3 hours today on the 2nd and worst of them. I removed the bottom horizontal section and took about 1/4" off it. (1/8") both ends then removed 1/8" from the bottom of each vertical piece. Welded it all back together and it now fits in the opening. None of the vertical mounting holes were in the correct position relative to the holes in the door on this one either I so filled in the old holes with weld. I hope to have at least one of these finished soon and will post some pics of the process I used. I decided against grinding the edges of the frames as there was just too much metal to remove along the entire edges of the frame.  

Well I guess I can call the procedure successful? Following are a number of photos showing how I did it. I am pretty much a newbie to welding and this kind of work on something this old. So - if anyone has suggestions as to a better/easier way I am wide open to comments and critique.

Kinda square the cornersIMG_0186.JPG.4202e6d7133030dfdf67ff260c6e226b.JPG

Trial fit before full weld.

IMG_0185.JPG.0afa942586a0f9436e24a513360cc702.JPG

Clean up the holes no longer needed and fill with weld.

IMG_0188.JPG.cbae18206773ecde25ef822dc3bcea61.JPGIMG_0190.JPG.e0978459a2c35d975386fbdcc65b7b14.JPG

Clean up the crappy welding at the corners

IMG_0191.JPG.9c8c740e68192686525aa4a8a032685a.JPG

It fits!

IMG_0192.JPG.b9639359e2200cdf227e528db11ec508.JPGIMG_0193.JPG.152af89417062a4d2db249618986577d.JPG

Need new mounting holes

IMG_0196.JPG.f7450734dd0b88b06418d4a8e9bcf09b.JPG

Used a punch to countersink the new holes

IMG_0198.JPG.fdc4758eb479af318522dad07f8d2af4.JPG

Frame was badly pitted so covered in putty and sanded smooth

IMG_0199.JPG.26fc1270e2e9b67f6b767af7f895e8b2.JPGIMG_0200.JPG.ce945a908d5322d0da1f407bc01d5cd6.JPG

Primed, painted and installed.

IMG_0201.JPG.cf61c8aae94f273ae45d190d835bdf94.JPGIMG_0204.JPG.b5d8f9f1d85e0b479e29a8d9244655a8.JPG

Kinda like the contrast look of the brass hold downs. Should have cleaned my hands before putting the frame in place. That is not poor paint by the handle just dirt from my hands. As I said I am wide open to critique of my process. I have 5 more of these to finish.

I cut and fitted the passenger side front door today. Had to remove 1/4 inch from the top and 3/16 inch from the bottom and approx 3/16 inch from the vertical. 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:41 PM, 13CADDY said:

so your trim panel only tucks under the bottom edge ??  with my Studebaker I had to fit trim all the way around the mldg---Tom

I think you mean the door panel which is missing on this door - yes it just butts up under and is held in place by the frame and snaps. I am working on the passenger side front door frame and had to remove the panel as the window regulator detached from the glass.  I'll try to remember to post a picture of that when it is done and reassembled.