1926 Willys Touring Car Value

Brought from California to Florida and then to Arkansas. The frame has been blasted and painted, the engine runs perfectly and obviously the car has been painted. The interior is still intact but not restored. The two rear fenders were lost in transport at some point.  I do not have any other pictures at this point. I do not know if it is a model 66 or 70 model or if it is a five or seven passenger. I have been offered the car for $8500.  I have an appointment to see it on Monday and am looking for an approximate value based on the information I’ve given. I will have much more information once I look at the car. I want to be prepared to buy it on the spot and that is the reason that I’m asking. I’ve looked at the NADA values And they reflect low retail around 20k Mid retail around 30k and High retail around 45k.  Any help is appreciated on an approximate value for something like this. Thanks 

645AD89E-9C28-4563-837E-D18D9624936B.jpeg

Edited by ccarney63
Added value to title or subject. (see edit history)

The Knight sleeve valve engine and its unique mechanical design seem to keep the value down on cars like this.  Looks like a lot of car for the money provided the engine is in decent shape.  There have been some discussions recently on this forum on the value of cars like this so I'm sure others with better knowledge will soon chime in.

Terry

• Like 1

A local owner had an all original 1929 WK 4 door sedan for sale in summer 2017 for $11,000 OBO in Canadian dollars, about $8K US, and car did not sell, although admittedly we have a small market. He told me he would take $9K Can, about $6500US. Car was in very good original condition, including original paint, near perfect interior, but had not been run for 15 years, rad shell and hood had surface rusting from being stored indoors in damp maritime climate. My estimate was his car was worth locally about $5K-$8K Canadian, or $4K-$6K US. The challenge with these very nice and somewhat rare cars is the high cost to restore versus the limited demand when selling (a common issue for old 4-door sedans). The status of his car's engine was a big ? So you need to evaluate what you want the car for, if you like it's look, feel you can keep it pretty much as is and enjoy owning and driving it, then price range being asked for is close to upper limit of value. As an investment, not much room for a + return. If you plan a full restoration, no starting price will assure a return.

• Like 1

In my opinion just seeing the one picture and limited information :  needs complete interior restored, needs new roof, unknown about the windows if there and or operating,  unknow dash instrumentation working, unknown fuel tank condition, unknown if engine will run and operate properly,  unknown about any other unknown mechanical problems or not.  I would say a fair value with all of these unknown's and the cost of restoration of what you know has to be done, I would place a value of $6,000 and you would have to want a 1920's 4 door sedan.  Keep in mind this is just my opinion of value of what I see.

Sorry if this disappoints you.

• Like 2

No thin skin here. This is what I’m looking for is real world information. Speaking to the owner this morning he said the engine runs beautifully was his words. So I would assume gas tank drivetrain is in order. All other comments by Frank are as said, unknown.  So based on those comments and others here I would assume the 8500 is at or near the top value. I’m not looking for a 26 Willis, most cars I have are from the 1960s. I was offered this car simply because people around here no that  I appreciate old iron.  I still plan to head down there on Monday and give it a good look over and see the condition of these unknown items and take pictures. I do appreciate the input and all other comments are welcome to help me when I do see the car. Thanks again!

10 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Just an observation, but looks more like a four door sedan with a bad top covering....not a touring car (four door cloth top). THIS is a touring car....

touring car.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, I am going off the owners description. Admittedly he bought the car  without great knowledge of it or the ability to complete the job. 

Mr. Carney, a car like that could be interesting for you

if you have realistic expectations.  Some points (which

you may or may not know) are:

(1)  Cars like those are best for driving on country roads.

They might have a comfortable speed of 35 m.p.h. and

a maximum comfortable speed of 45 m.p.h.  In 1928, one

car company took a survey of driving habits, and most

people never drove above 45 m.p.h.

(2)  The main structure is wood for almost all cars of that era.

The frame would be steel, but the body and doors are made

of sheet metal attached to wood.  There are ways to check

for rotten wood, such as if the doors sag a bit when opened.

(3)  Cars of the 1916-to-late 1920's are not especially popular.

This can be a positive or a negative.  Negative if you or a

mechanic close by can't work on it.  Positive because it will

be a good conversation piece if you drive it around or take it to

shows.  I believe there's a Willys-Knight Registry, so some

people do have Willys cars, and if you keep in touch with them,

you'll broaden your network of friends as you enjoy the car.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I shouldn't take the time for this at this hour. It has been a rough several days, and I need to get some sleep. On the other hand, this is something I feel passionately about.

Personally, I do NOT like value guides. For that matter (with ONE notable exception), I generally do NOT like most appraisers. Most guides, and most appraisers I have met (or dealt with the fallout from their absurd advice), do NOT understand the antique automobile market. What makes one car desirable and valuable? And why another similar car is not so valuable? Takes years in the hobby to begin to understand. Also, true expertise is marque and vintage specific. An expert on Packards of the late '20s and early '30s may or may not know Packards of the brass era, or the '50s. And that Packard expert may know nothing about Rolls Royce, or model T Fords, of the same era.

Guide books often double the realistic value of common cars in average to very nice condition. What they give for low retail is more likely the proper value for only the best of the best. They also usually miss the mark on the other end. A guide I looked at a few years ago said the top dollar value for a specific Pierce Arrow in marginally restorable/parts car condition was only $500. Well show me THAT car! I want to buy it! The fact is that a Pierce Arrow as described would sell easily for about $4000. The engine alone is worth more than $2000. But that is because it is a Pierce Arrow, not a Willys Knight.

Don't get me wrong. Knights are wonderful cars. I have known several good friends that had them. I have known of many others as well, owned by people that loved to drive them on tours. However, Knights are different. If the engine is in good running condition? That is a very good thing. One must be very careful with a Knight that has not been run in awhile. The sleeves can dry out a bit, the oil becomes gummy, and a careless start-up can do a lot of serious and expensive damage to the engine. Not to be afraid of it. Just be aware, and if you find yourself in that position, check with several people that really know the Knight engines.

The "Willys/Overland?Knight Registry" (or WOKR for short) is a wonderful (and last I heard active) source for good information.

I think the valuations others have given are on the mark. I have seen a few better Willys Knights not able to sell for about $10,000 in the past few years. Some of them on eBad.

Whatever you decide? I do wish you well. It looks like it may be a good car that needs a good home, and someone that will get it fixed up right and back onto the road. And hopefully on tour with other like-minded crazies (like me!).

Rear fenders should not be very expensive? But finding them could be tough.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Well , the person who started this topic asked for some advice price wise and if he ever thinks with spending 8.500$ to start and then looking for fenders and other parts and make it a nice car and then hope to make some $$ profit in a sale he better forget all about it .if he likes the model and forgets many expenses he made for the car then he will be happy .Me myself i never write all my expenses on paper so i don't have to worry to much in the end .

48 minutes ago, daniel boeve said:

Well , the person who started this topic asked for some advice price wise and if he ever thinks with spending 8.500$ to start and then looking for fenders and other parts and make it a nice car and then hope to make some $$ profit in a sale he better forget all about it .if he likes the model and forgets many expenses he made for the car then he will be happy .Me myself i never write all my expenses on paper so i don't have to worry to much in the end .

Ask and you shall receive. I got a lot of good advice here and I appreciate it. I like you do not keep up with receipts. I am upside down on any car I have restored I’m sure. 

I do not intend to purchase the car. But someone who may be looking for a car like this has the new lead.  And I would be glad to share the owners phone number with anyone who may ask me for it.  I also intend to share with the owner all the information that has been brought forward so that he has some new insight on the car and knows what it actually is and what fair value in the real world market is. He paid 8500 for it and is trying to recoup his money. The guy that he bought it from who is passionate about it has suffered some serious health issues and will probably never be able to Do any kind of work like this again.