Starting Problem for 1920 Dodge Brother Touring Convertible

Shouldn’t need a ground to the engine as it will ground through the mounts. 

Looking at at your photos it looks like the autovac is missing (supplies fuel to the carb) as there is a disconnected tube.  Perhaps it’s been bypassed with a modern pump?

Its likely that the issue is either lack of fuel or lack of spark.

have you checked for spark?  If not, remove one of your spark plugs and rest it on top of the engine with the plug lead still connected.  Then turn the ignition on and have someone crank the engine to see if there is a spark at the plug.

if not, that’s likely your issue.  The wiring for the ignition circuit is pretty simple. Power goes from battery, to the ignition switch then to the coil.  The other connection from the coil goes to the distributor (points).  Check power to the coil (with a multimeter or test light). Then check wire from coil to distributor/points.  Check points are clean. If that’s all good and still no spark it’s most likely the coil or the condenser in the distributor.

If you’ve got spark but still not starting then check fuel supply.  If the plugs aren’t wet after cranking then check the carb.  There should be fuel in the float bowl (cover can be removed easily with two screws).  If there is no fuel in the float bowl then there is likely a fuel supply problem.

Here is a little video about the autovac.

What is the pipe under the red arrow? It looks to be not connected to anything. It also looks like a fuel line.

What is the blue arrow pointing to? It also looks like a fuel line but has steel loom on it. Where should the fuel line enter the carb?

image.png.712f99ed98aa000d1bcd8653be8588a3.png

If it was running before then I would advise not changing anything. It is probably something simple. Keep in mind the motor will spin when you push the start button even if the key is in the off position. Try this:

1. Make sure the gas is on. Many put a petcock on their gas line for safety. Looks like yours has an electric fuel pump because the original system is missing. If there is a separate switch to turn the electric fuel pump on you will need to find that.

2.If you having some starter fluid spray a little in the vent tube opening that is between the carb and the block.

3. Turn the key to the start  position (key will be horizontal). Ignore the outer switch position - that is for the lights

4. Move the upper most lever on the steering column about 1/3 up from the bottom. The lower lever is for gas (pedal) but you should have a gas pedal on the floor as well.

5. Hit the starter button at the center of the floor. If it starts you need to move the top lever to 2/3 up the sector.If it does not start then you may need to pull the choke out a little on the dash (left side) to give it more gas.

Edited by 72caddy
Added more detail (see edit history)

I usually pull the choke all the way out for a cold start and then after just a few seconds push it back about half way for another 10 or so seconds and then off.  This works consistently for me and only requires 2 - 3 seconds of cranking (engine cold).  I think you did say you had spark.  If so, then it has to be a some kind of fuel problem.  Can you tell if the electric pump runs when ignition is on?  You can verify that gas is reaching the carb fuel bowl by removing the two screws holding the cover on to see in the bowl.   The fuel line (with blue arrow) goes to the bottom of the fuel bowl.  If there is fuel in there but no hint of combustion when cranked over, it could be the carb has debris in it and needs attention.  As mentioned above, you can try a little starting fluid and if it does cough (tries to start), it helps confirm that fuel isn't getting to the cylinders.  

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

Butterfly, If you can confirm you have both spark at the spark plugs (when cranking) and fuel at the carb we can the help you with other things to try (such as carb and ignition settings).  But it’s important to check those two fundamentals first otherwise you could be on a wild goose chase trying all sorts of things which won’t do anything if you don’t have fuel and spark.

I wanted to thank each and everyone of you guys for helping me out, and I wantws to lwt you ALL know, I got her STARTED AND I GOT TO DRIVE HER and she is running like a dream! Thank You for ALL of your support and words of encouragement. It WAS the wiring to the starter, the SCHEMATIC was awsome. My husband would have been so proud. Thank You Again! This Forum has been an absolute dream. Hallelujah!!! ???? Time to Pop a bottle of Jack Daniels and relax, because, next comes the restoration. Much Love and Respect, Courtney 

PS I feel I have made some new friends, and I am sure this wont be the last time you hear from me!! Thanks Again, for ALL of your help!!

• Like 2