Starting Problem for 1920 Dodge Brother Touring Convertible

How often do you start it up?  Dirty points can do it too if the car is left to sit for months (light corrosion on the contacts).  Sometimes a little piece of fine emery paper folded and puled through the (closed) points will get them conducting again.  

9 hours ago, Butterflymom said:

Can anyone tell me also what are the levers that release air on top of the heads for?

Those are not for releasing compression but for priming the engine when cold.  The Dodge has an up draft carb which is hard to start when cold.  You open the priming cups on top the engine and pour a little gas.  You then close them and all cycs. are primed with gas.  They are quite common on updraft engines of that era. 

A vacuum tank.  It's a can shaped device that pulls fuel from the fuel tank using engine vacuum.  It then feeds fuel into the carburetor by gravity from the line on the bottom of the can.  Your car must have an electric fuel pump hidden somewhere if the vacuum tank is not there.  This is a '25 Dodge set up but it isn't much different than '20.  

vacuum tank - fuel set up.jpg

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Butterflymom said:

To Jan Arnett you are amazing THANK YOU so much!! Awsome info!! There is a line running from the intake manifold up to an what looks like a holder for something, could you tell me what was or is supposed to be there.

As Mike says the line is designed to provide vacuum to a vacuum tank.  The vacuum tank is an early fuel pump.  It used a vacuum to  pull fuel from the gas tank.  As he said it sounds like someone installed an electric fuel pump.  It is a modification that some people make which I do not like as the original vacuum works fine if you understand how they work.  What concerns me about your car is if they removed the vacuum tank and just disconnected the vacuum line and left it unplugged at the manifold creating a vacuum leak.  I would removed the line at the manifold and put on a cap or put a vacuum tank in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Repair-Manual-1926-1925-1924-1923-1922-1921-1920-1919-1918-1917-1916-1915/362052317642?hash=item544bfff1ca:g:pEAAAOxyPLpRdc7A&vxp=mtr

Romar should also have this manual.  If you get an owners manual 1919 to 1924 they should be about the same with information.  I will scan you a schematic.  What area of the country are you inJ

Jan

The lever that controls the spark needs to be set to retard the spark at startup. It is advanced somewhat to get around, and advanced more as the car speeds up on the road. It needs to be used to retard the spark some while climbing hills or pulling hard. Used wrong in starting it can bend the starter or your arm depending on how you start the car. It is used to save your bearings or crankshaft pulling on hills or under load.

Copies of original owner's manuals, Books of Information is what DB called them, can be gotten from the AACA library. The DB club stores it's literature there. The correct manual is the one printed JUST before your car was built. The Books of Information have answers to MOST all the questions you are asking. A list of these manuals with publishing dates is listed on the DBclub website. According to the manuals the spark lever is placed in the retarded position to start the engine. Then it is moved to the advance or normal position for all driving. A retarded spark overheats the engine.

Sorry to hear you're having such issues.  Dodges are good, solid, dependable cars with a little sorting out.

It would help any potential buyer to know how much you want for it and where the car is geographically located.  The Dodge Brothers "slow" four cars, 12 volt starter generator ones, have never brought big money, and decent driving ones regularly sell in the four figure range. 

The only exception is VERY early 1914-15 cars, the lower the production number in those years the higher the price.

Good luck, hope you find a good home for it.

Yeah, don't throw in the towel just yet unless you are totally disinterested.....looks like a very cool car project! I am no mechanic myself, but I have learned a lot from others. Anything I can't do myself I have hired a hot rod shop, an old school mechanic shop and a mechanic that works out of his truck....they have all helped at times immensly and I've learned so much in the process! Anyway, sounds like the problem isn't a big one, but one that may be a little hard to comprehend between you and others online...maybe a local mechanic can help out. If you love the car I'll bet once your dilemmna is figured out and the car starts again it will change your outlook and give you momentum to move forward! Good luck w/ whatever you decide!

I have an old Ferguson tractor and a mid '30s Chevy and it seems that every time I let them set a few months I need to clean the points before they will run. Of course at first they flood due to not firing so I always have to get the points filed and then wait to start because of the flooding. Don't give up.

I fell in LOVE with the car when I saw it, Dodge has a VERY SPECIAL place in my heart, my LATE husband was a MASTER VIPER TECH for Dodge! And, had such a love and passion for Dodge and passed that love on to me. I know a whole hell of a lot about vehicles and how to work on them. And, they ONLY WAY I LEARNED ANYTHING was by asking questions and doing research. I want to THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAD WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT, and so I have decided to stick it out and complete this project on honor of my husband. She is a beauty and deserves much love and tlc.

• Like 1