Survey - How do you drive your classic vehicle?

CCStudent

What if my car is not a "Classic", only a vintage automobile.  To me a cruise implies an organized event.  What if my car is my daily driver and I go for "drives".

This survey is interesting and I have no objection to filling it out BUT like most/all surveys the questions are asked in such a way as to not clutter statistics up and to prove a theory that the writer wants to prove.  IMHO all surveys municipal/provincial/state/federal/manufacturing/sales/etc., are written so that the results can be published to prove the point that the government/etc., is doing the right thing and you the quiet majority should follow.

My brother-in-law was a contractor for our federal government to write surveys.  The specific instructions were to produce specific results.  If his survey produced the required results he got more contracts.  If the survey failed he got less contracts.  I don't believe anybody really wants to know all the answers to a question.  They just want to know the answers that prove their point.

CCStudent,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. You would probably have better luck here if you will take a few minutes to introduce yourself and tell us more about your school and your project.

• Like 1

Hey MCHinson,

Just trying to help a friend better her research and design skills. We're both interested in classic cars so we're starting here. We plan to read the responses and see if there's any room for improvement in cruising and then go through a mock research and design project where we create something (maybe an app, maybe a site, maybe a paper map even) to help improve cruising. 

Thanks for the welcome!

• Like 3

There may be room for an app. An app could access a data base of information. This could include favorite scenic roads, best restaurants to stop for lunch and things like that. An app to help you plan a good back roads loop for the weekend, and an easy way to share it with others who may want to go along.

• Like 1

I buy old cars because their larger trunks can carry more bodies, er, I mean cargo. Yeah, cargo. Usually the guys at the junkyard don't look twice when I say I want it crushed.

Also, don't look in the trunk. I mean it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Glad to see you are interested in our hobby and might even "have an app for that" as an outcome.  The hobby is vey diverse with all kinds of cars and people involved.  Having youth and new ideas from them in the hobby is a key element in its future.  

Terry

• Like 1

At my age I drive the beast like I stole it. 

Its going to outlast me so it is an everyday driver and I enjoy the heck out of it. Not really a classic but when the two blonds in the pic above are in the back seat I feel very classy 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CCStudent said:

Hey MCHinson,

Just trying to help a friend better her research and design skills. We're both interested in classic cars so we're starting here. We plan to read the responses and see if there's any room for improvement in cruising and then go through a mock research and design project where we create something (maybe an app, maybe a site, maybe a paper map even) to help improve cruising. 

Thanks for the welcome!

You may want to do some additional reading on this forum to get a better feel for the hobby. Your survey does not really seem to fit the antique car hobby too well from my perspective. I don't often simply decide to go for a "cruise". I often drive my antique car to lunch or dinner. I drive it often on organized car club tours. I drive it to car club meetings. I drive it to car shows and other car club events. Your survey seems to emphasize a type of informal hobbyist who simply drives his or her antique car on a Sunday afternoon drive, or something similar. It makes me suspect you have very limited exposure to car clubs which are an important part of the hobby.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

It makes me suspect you have very limited exposure to car clubs which are an important part of the hobby.

Bingo!  Most people, in my opinion, don't have access to much news about local clubs and their activities.  At times they seem like big secrets as to where they are and what they doing.  Cruise-ins and the newer cars and coffee gatherings are what most people see going on in their areas and gather around them to view the collector car hobby.  My mid 20s son goes to a lot of cars and coffee events.  Might be time for antique car clubs to host these events too.

25 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

You may want to do some additional reading on this forum to get a better feel for the hobby. Your survey does not really seem to fit the antique car hobby too well from my perspective. I don't often simply decide to go for a "cruise". I often drive my antique car to lunch or dinner. I drive it often on organized car club tours. I drive it to car club meetings. I drive it to car shows and other car club events. Your survey seems to emphasize a type of informal hobbyist who simply drives his or her antique car on a Sunday afternoon drive, or something similar. It makes me suspect you have very limited exposure to car clubs which are an important part of the hobby.

I agree.  What does 'cruising' mean anyway??  I drive my old cars everyday, and I've done that for decades...is that 'cruising'?  To create an app, or something else, wouldn't it make sense to have it done by people who understand this lifestyle (its not a hobby, BTW), rather than people who 'decide' they're going to do this?  

For starters, tell us about your hands-on experience with vintage, old, classic, Classic, antique cars/trucks/bikes/planes.  Anything?

Locally, cruising is a type of car show at a place like a restaurant that parks the cruisers in a spot where others can observe the cars and speak with the owners.  The cars are not there to be judged and you, the car owner, can come and go as you please.  No need to stay around and wait for the awards ceremony.  

10 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Bingo!  Most people, in my opinion, don't have access to much news about local clubs and their activities.  At times they seem like big secrets as to where they are and what they doing.  Cruise-ins and the newer cars and coffee gatherings are what most people see going on in their areas and gather around them to view the collector car hobby.  My mid 20s son goes to a lot of cars and coffee events.  Might be time for antique car clubs to host these events too.

Our local AACA Chapter has a number of members who attend our local Cars and Coffee event each month. There are still lots of "car people" in the next generation. That is where you are more likely to find them. We have a number of younger members in our local AACA Chapter. 

• Like 1

I have never attended a "Cars and Coffee" and have had an aversion to doing so out of fear I will see Ferrari's, new Porsches, Mustangs, Camaros and the like. There ought to be special class Cars and Coffee for vintage vehicles only on alternate weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At our local Cars and Coffee there is a wide variety of vehicles each month. Typically, everything from Model T Fords to 2017 Corvettes and about everything in between. We typically have a nice selection of AACA antique cars there. Some of the mostly younger "car people" may have cars that don't personally excite me, but there is common ground. It is good to talk with other car people from different generations, walks of life, etc. 

• Like 1

We've seen a few other "surveys" posted to this forum. One was about would you use an app that allowed you to rent your classic car out? And a couple others I don't recall clearly. This may be some sort of generic college computer science or business class type exercise where they are tasked to gather information by a "survey" for some computer application that can be developed and linked to the sales of goods and services, so advertising can be sold.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

We've seen a few other "surveys" posted to this forum. One was about would you use an app that allowed you to rent your classic car out? And a couple others I don't recall clearly. This may be some sort of generic college computer science or business class type exercise where they are tasked to gather information by a "survey" for some computer application that can be developed and linked to the sales of goods and services, so advertising can be sold.

In today's society, we are all boiled down to a formula.  95% (ish) of people fit into a 'Standard Protocol.  We sometimes unwittingly provide the very data that creates these Protocols.  They are then used for sales/marketing, healthcare,  and even electing presidents.  Our own data is used to heard us to the roundup.  

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I have never attended a "Cars and Coffee" and have had an aversion to doing so out of fear I will see Ferrari's, new Porsches, Mustangs, Camaros and the like. There ought to be special class Cars and Coffee for vintage vehicles only on alternate weeks.

Yeah, we made the trip ONCE to a local C & C and yeah, there were a bunch of those things taking up most of the space. 

We drove one of the fire trucks, made some noise and many of the other attendees looked with annoyance, some with curiosity but the guy who ran the shop was excited since he owned a couple vintage apparatus too.  We got the big tour of the facility, you know where nobody else could go and made some new friends.  All in all, a very good morning. 

How do we drive our vintage vehicles?  As often as the weather allows, with glee, gusto, enthusiasm and with friends along for the ride.  Our vehicles take us to shows, cruises, tours and on vacation (all car related, of course!).  Out for a Sunday drive when the fuel needs to be refreshed, for ice cream, visit the grandkids, to club meetings, and will get us invited to join the local department for a great view of the fireworks.  We will park wherever there is space, signs be darned.  With the top down, sometimes even on very cool evenings (with the heat on) and occasionally when it may be slightly raining.  We'll even go to the movies - LOL!  Generally they never let us down and if they had real, live feelings, we think our vehicles would be having a good time too.  The Batmobile belongs to a friend and it was an absolute blast to be able to borrow it for a couple hours.  Everyone, I mean everyone, was sounding out the Batman theme. 

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

8.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

Here's what my local Cars and Coffee looks like in terms of participating vehicles. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

https://mutantsurfing.smugmug.com/Marin-County-Cars-and-Coffee-December-2017/

We do not have cars and coffee but we do have Hot Rod Cinema at the old restored Regent Theater. They get a lot of nice cars in the summer parked outside and is an event that can be held rain or shine. Here you can sit in the lobby and gab or watch the flick. Different movie every week related to cars. I have never been but I hear it is a good time and been held regularly for a few years now. The second link you will see who hostess it seeing they are big into automotive from wind tunnels, design to automotive teachings. Used the place as a tour stop in the past when available. The wind tunnel facility is very busy as when no classes or their own development they will do work for corporations or race teams. Nice to see them prompting the hobby.

https://tickets.regenttheatre.ca/eventperformances.asp?evt=417

https://www.uoit.ca/index.php

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I drive mine like I stole it. Before starting off I check carefully that all lights, including license plate light are working correctly. I drive carefully, at or below the speed limit, don't squeal tires taking off etc. Obey all traffic laws, come to a complete stop at stop signs and generally drive as if the cops are watching and I don't want to get pulled over.

• Haha 1

Cruising makes it sound like an organized event versus driving our old cars like most "normal" (boring) people drive their new cars as mentioned above.

Change cruising to driving and the survey will have more meaning.

In spite of that I did take and submit the survey....... ;) 

My longest cruise was on Route 66, Chicago to LA, 9 days, 2448 miles in an unrestored '51 Henry J.  I always took the oldest version of the "mother road" when available--lots of gravel and dirt along the way

Second longest was an 8 hour fall color-tour in Michigan in my '54 Kaiser Darrin.

Next, and the most fun, was 6 hours, to and from, and on the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee in my Darrin.  Killboy  took 64 pictures of me driving it and put them on their website.

No "trailer queens" for me--I drive 'em!

• Thanks 1

yep--that's me 

trip east-bound was  hot---air con on/doors open

return was cooler--doors closed

this car has won a wall of trophies--best in shows plus one from Concours d'Elegance

it is on the road all the time--what is was made for

thanks

A "cruising app" would be nice but just what audience would it target?

An app that would help find the local gatherings or "cruise ins"? There aree some websites that do this.

Maybe one that would help you plot out a course for a car with a top speed of 35, 45 or 55 mph? This is missing in the market.

Perhaps one that would locate all the drive cruises? But then again it would have to differentiate from a brass car to something than can comfortable go 75 mph.

Just some food for thought. 

Scott