How warm is it where you are?

Larry Schramm

On 1/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, Larry Schramm said:

Hi Larry,

MARDI GRAS SEASON STARTS TODAY, SO THE TOURISTS WILL BE OVERDOING HERE WHAT THEY WOULDN'T DO AT HOME OR IN CHURCH, AND MANY LOCALS GO TO COLORADO AND UTAH FOR A SKI TRIP.

Her are the 3-day and 10-day Weather.com Projections:

Keep your gloves on, we're a bit better here in the New Orleans AREA,High of only 57 today but getting cold tonight with an overnight low of 47 expected,

then 65 for the next couple of days, and 71 by Thursday:

NEXT 36 HOURS

HOURLY10 DAYS
TODAYPARTLY CLOUDY

HIGH
57°
0%
TONIGHT

LOW
47°
10%
SUN

HIGH
65°
10%
SUN NIGHT

LOW
59°
90%
MON

HIGH
65°
90%
Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. High 57F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
  • WINDE 8 mph
  • HUMIDITY55%
  • UV INDEX4 of 10
  • SUN

AND HERE IS THE 10 DAY:

Metairie, LA (70006) 10 Day Weather

8:52 am CST
Print

DAY

DESCRIPTION HIGH / LOW PRECIP WIND HUMIDITY
TODAY

JAN 6
Partly Cloudy
57°47°
0%
E 8 mph 55%
SUN

JAN 7
Mostly Cloudy
65°59°
10%
SE 16 mph 69%
MON

JAN 8
Thunderstorms
65°55°
90%
SE 17 mph 88%
TUE

JAN 9
Cloudy
62°56°
20%
ENE 8 mph 93%
WED

JAN 10
Cloudy
67°58°
20%
ESE 11 mph 86%
THU

JAN 11
Mostly Cloudy
71°46°
20%
S 12 mph 84%
FRI

JAN 12
AM Showers
52°39°
40%
NW 15 mph 69%
SAT

JAN 13
Sunny
50°37°
10%
NNW 11 mph 62%
SUN

JAN 14
Sunny
50°36°
0%
NNW 11 mph 52%
MON

JAN 15
Sunny
51°39°
0%
N 9 mph 52%
TUE

JAN 16
Partly Cloudy
53°40°
0%
NNE 8 mph 56%
WED

JAN 17
Mostly Sunny
57°47°
0%
ENE 9 mph 61%
THU

JAN 18
Partly Cloudy
61°51°
20%
E 11 mph 66%
FRI

JAN 19
Partly Cloudy
65°55°
20%
E 11 mph 65%
SAT

JAN 20
Thunderstorms
68°52°
80%
SE 12 mph

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

-1 here today.  That's suppose to be the high as well.  Found out the block heater in the tractor isn't working and of course it's not the cord.  Fortunately we only have 2 fresh inches on the ground over the rest of the snow and ice,  so I'll just wait until it warms up first part of the week to plow.  It's inside but the garage is probably 0 at best that it's in.

I bet my boiler just created more pollution during this cold spell than all my old cars have in the last 10 years. 

I can't help but wonder why they never mention the carbon footprint of the forest fires out west and the operations to quell them when relating to all the CO2 hub Bub, but constantly complain about all the pollution caused by our old antiquated cars that are driven in many instances less than 500 miles a year.  I won 6 I think.  My dad drove my Olds last year probably 200 miles,  I drove my 47 Hudson maybe 500-700.  So  less than 900 miles on 6 cars.  Works out to 150 miles per car.  I bet many members would fall in similar categories if you consider the total number of cars you own, which is the ones they complain about.  Even the static ones that haven't seen the road in 20-30 years.    

I also am a retired Firefighter , when it get this cold it makes me think of the times we worked  large fires and had to clean up thaw out and turn around and fight again . To all my brothers I am thinking of you all in this weather . Kings32

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Didn't mean it literally, Greg. More a poor choice of expression. Hope I didn't offend................Bob 

No offence taken, all is good.

It has been right around 2 degrees since yesterday afternoon. Below average, but nuthin' to write home about. Another day in the neighborhood.

RochAve.JPG.bbcec30fda28479e5fd2bc06130351d2.JPG

We don't have a basement, it is a cellar. If it is really hot in the summer I will sit down there in a folding chair if there is no breeze on the porch. Today it must be nice and warm by the furnace, The chair is there folded up and leaning against that '62 Dynaflow transmission. I just looked up on the bookshelf above me. I see Hydronic System Design and Operation  and a copy of Blessed Be The Cynical. Maybe I will take both books down, unfold the chair, and put my feet up on that tailshaft. Could be inspired to install one of those high efficiency boilers that never meet anyone's expectations.

Bernie

Yesterday was not particularly hot here,  about 25 oC, felt like a bit warmer (27 oC, 80 oF). But it was really humid, c. 90% much of the day, falling into the evening.

http://spinneyhill.co.nf/index.htm

I have to keep out of the sun so I wear full covering - overalls (white are cooler than dark green or blue), hat, gloves. It was sweltering in that lot trying to do things in orchard in the sun. Our UV index at the moment is in the extreme range, c. 11.3 max.  uvi_forecast_tauranga.png so everyone should be protected anyway.

It’s 67 degrees and sunny. I took the V-16 Caddy and the Stutz for a spin today. Life is good. Drive them like you stole them!

C2E56CC4-E81F-408A-B1FF-15505D8B8DE3.jpeg

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It’s 67 degrees and sunny. I took the V-16 Caddy and the Stutz for a spin today. Life is good. Drive them like you stole them!

I'll remember that,  When I steal one of yours ;)  Beautiful car.  

I actually went out and started cleaning the garage today.  (it's heated so not too bad) 

I had tools from the new garage construction scattered all over.  

Time to get back out there now. 

It warmed up to -16 C this afternoon, when I went out to clear the +6" of overnight snow from the driveway.  I vow my next snowblower will have heated hand grips!

It is supposed to go down to -25 tonight, but they say relief is on the way in a couple of days.

Bob

It is 16 degrees here tonight. It is supposed to go down to a low of 14 degrees tonight. We have had some record breaking and near record braking weather in the past few days. The good news for us is that it should be in the 50's Monday and nearly 70 degrees later in the week. I will be happy when our weather returns to something more normal by the end of the week. 

-11 right now at 10 AM.  Was suppose to hit -21.  I think it did as the shower vent fan started off so slow,  that the gerbils must have had frost bite and had to work it off before they could get upon to speed.  It's only done that once before and that was when it was -22 a week ago.  Doesn't seem to do it when the temp is -10 to -15.  I have had plenty of days the last couple of weeks to experiment with.  

I hate to admit how cold it has been in northern MN.. Some would question my sanity for living in such a wonderful state. -20 to -30 since Christmas has been a common occurrence. Last year we had 13 days below 0 all year. We have already had 12 days below 0 and the coldest days of winter are not over yet. This coming week is due to be above 32 so I guess we will need to break out the sun tan oil.

Stay warm, I think I will look for rental property in AZ.

Yes it's cold and damp.  This photo was yesterday (1/7/18) on the Cullsaja Gorge Road at Bridal Falls, just north of Highlands NC.  

The car sis a 1930 Model A Tudor (Unrestored) which is the daily driver of a Franklin NC couple who are new AACA members.  They use

it everyday saying "5a53e27004f6a_BredalFalls.thumb.jpg.1e3515258d3d12f490c48ed422821f45.jpgit rained & snowed in the 1930's too". 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Bhigdog said:

About -3F this AM. It's warmed up to +11 but sunny with no wind. Actually feels pretty nice out. Dogs are agitating for a romp through the fields. Sounds like a good idea...........Bob

This winter dog story made the news

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

78F in the den at the moment, thinking about cranking the AC up.

I had to close the blinds and turn the ac on today. It was in the high 60’s, but the sun really warmed the house up. The next two days will be close to 70, then back down to the 50’s for the weekend. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Just looked to the weekend here.  It's suppose to hit 41 and 45 then within a day the low is suppose to be -20 after we get a little rain.  That' a bad combination.  More nights than I would like to see in the short/ long range with a - symbol in front of them.  I better get the new block heater for the tractor and get it installed.  Atlas I have just enough room to squeeze it in the heated garage if I drop the plow assembly, so I don't have to do it in the cold garage if it doesn't come before the temp drops.