air shocks

jonlabree

I've had air shocks on the rear of several hot rods back in the day. They were designed to supplement the load carrying capacity of the leaf springs. I used them to "jack up" the back of the car.  Using that kind of shock without a spring to support the car, I think you would have to put so much air pressure in the shock that it would probably pop when you hit a large pothole. I think you will need air bags to do what you are suggesting.

• Like 1

The Riviera, Eldorado, and Seville all have the same rear suspension as the Reatta but they all used air shocks (self leveling) probably because they could add 2 people in the rear seat and there would probably be luggage as well.

If the air shocks would do the job by themselves, don't you think that GM would have eliminated the spring?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 63viking said:

Stupid idea -  What if you removed the rear spring and installed air shocks?

What kind of repercussions would you get?

There is a kit for Cadillacs somewhere out on the Internet. It was front and rear. Priced around 3.5k and still needed modifications to the car.

• Like 2

I have a 95 Deville with auto levelling rear air shocks, and a very similar rear crossmember to that of the Reatta. It has coil springs rather than a mono leaf spring as on the Reatta. These struts (or similar) would fit the Reatta but still need spring(s) for proper damping and support. And you would need to add the compresser and level sensing switch  for fully automatic operation.

What is the objective here? That is the key question, I suppose.  Putting the air levelling Cadillac (or Riviera)  suspension on would render a softer, boaty-like ride typically associated with the older Caddies or Lincoln town cars, not a sporty higher performance feel as would befit a supercharged Reatta. I like that on my Deville,  but it is a different feel for a different sort of car. I'm not at all certain it would translate well to a Reatta.

Air bag suspension is a bit different again. Old Lincolns used that kind of setup.  Makes for a comfortable ride, but not sporty or tight like one might expect from a supercharged coupe. The stock setup on a Reatta keeps it tight in corners and avoids lot of sway and body lean while still providing a "pleasant" ride for long distance driving. 

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KDirk said:

I have a 95 Deville with auto levelling rear air shocks, and a very similar rear crossmember to that of the Reatta. It has coil springs rather than a mono leaf spring as on the Reatta. These struts (or similar) would fit the Reatta but still need spring(s) for proper damping and support. And you would need to add the compresser and level sensing switch  for fully automatic operation.

My '89 IPC (getting a relamp) is also used for the Riv?  Note: the "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" was for Europe?

LEVELING-REATTA.thumb.JPG.bd2260dad161aaec6971a9de0a998b39.JPG

Yes, the Riviera used the "car is leveling" indication when the air shock compressor was running. It does show briefly during the light show (and diagnostic VFD segment test mode) on a Reatta but is never seen otherwise.

The diesel fuel only indicator was probably included on the chance they decided to offer a diesel powertrain option on the Riviera. Remember, this was the era (this IPC design debuted on the 86 Riviera) when GM did their ill-fated diesels on a few Oldsmobile and Cadillac models.  That didn't last long as it wasn't a very good engine; to be charitable about it.  If it had been utilized, the diesel fuel only indicator would have been turned on with an option programming bit on the BCM.