How Many Are Enough?

crazycars

At present, I am up to 15 antique cars ranging from 1915 to 1930, all in need of "something".  I have several acres of land and a huge barn which houses most of the cars but have found it necessary to set up four Harbor Freight portable garages to house the rest. My place is starting to look like the circus came to town!   Some guys can't walk past a beautiful woman without stopping. I can't walk past an old car without buying!  Luckily,I am a pretty skilled amateur mechanic and have a well stocked shop but...

Is there a support group for guys like me?

an old duffer

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Why yes , y'ol' duff' ! ? Yes indeed there is ! And you are already THERE , because you are already are HERE ! ? 

In my opinion , step one is to store any of your cars worth saving so that they do not further deteriorate. Step two is to properly and carefully prepare all engines worth saving for start up , and then start 'em (or better , drive 'em) , from time to time. Continue adhering to the advice of this greatest automotive support group , many of which members , myself included , are ol' duffers too.

You do not want to end up like poor Ron , (see "Update on Ron's cars.." below , posted by nick8086 Dec22). Nor aging , fading , Bernie Long of Bloomington , CA , (East of L.A.) , who advertises in Hemming's. I know Bernie , but have not spoken with him for several months. If he is still with us , his treasure will be intact. I , (and others) , expect that those daughters of his will just have his properties scraped clean and sold ASAP after he is gone. Have you seen pics I have posted of Bernie's place ? Hey ! I'll show you a few to help you by way of support !     Good luck , brother !    - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine and I have a theory, that if you have just one old car, you're a little silly, if you have a hundred old cars, you're daft....but if you have 10 or 12, then that's pretty normal.....of course, we each have 10 or 12!!

• Like 5

One of the problems with living six months in the north and six months in the south is that you have to have twice as many old cars as "normal". Plus double the tools, double the lifts, double the tow vehicles, double the trailers, double the insurance, double the space and double the trouble. Of course, you have twice as much fun.

Now, getting back to what's normal...?

• Like 2

Perhaps we'd all love to have more cars.  But I feel that,

unless you're accumulating cars indoors

just to save them for future generations, never keep

more cars than you can drive and maintain.  If you 

have a car, or cars, that you didn't drive last year,

you may already have too many.

The solution:

(a)  Don't have your cars blocked in your garage.  Access

is important so that a casual drive is an easy undertaking.

(b)  Pare down a collection that's gotten too big;

(c)  The best choice of all:  become active with your club

so you CAN drive and enjoy them regularly.

• Like 2

I have ten official AACA eligible cars  from 1909 Maxwell to a 1970  Vette plus a 1988 Searay boat and soon to be eligible 1996 Roadmaster used as a tow vehicle. Had a 1984 Motorhome that achieved HPOF original but sold it last year after Hershey and bought new one so I can hopefully spend more time getting and keeping the cars running in stead of working on the motorhome. My pole barn is full as is my home garage. I either need to get rid  of one or add on the pole barn to make room for a shop. Sound like I am just average.

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

In my defense, I can report that I have made every one of my cars driveable (some were really stuck, too). No vehicle remains exposed to the weather.  Problem is, being maxed out, I know I can't buy another and that is torture!

(Picture is in jest. I'm nuts but not that nuts)

destroyed car.jpg

At one time it was two vehicles, 1937 Dodge truck and a 1964 Plymouth that shared space with 5 vintage motorcycles in a two car garage.  Motorcycles are easy to store indoors compared to cars, plus the wife was not up on motorcycles so adding another was easy!

• Like 1

I agree, if you can't drive them all, you have to many.  Also,

If you don't drive them all, you have to many.

If you can't keep them all inside, you have to many.

If you don't have time or ability to keep them all ready for a drive, you have to many.

if your project car us already over 3 years in process, you have to many.

Currrently @ 8 1/8 cars, 1 motor home, 1 motorcycle, 3 trailers, and still looking at cars and questioning

my own sanity.  A posting member of this support group for a long time.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling error (see edit history)
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I'll give a practical answer and say the number of cars is equal to the number of dry garage stalls you have.

I always thought the number of cars you own is equal to the number of garage stalls +1.  In other words, you never have enough room!!

• Like 4

I agree with having inside storage and having no more than you can efficiently maintain with that storage. Basically the more bucks you can afford to house and keep them, the more you can have. I did a load of downsizing last year and cleaned out a bunch of tractors, early gas engines and antique construction equipment. Got down to an 82 Buick Riv. Convertible, two 1915 Buicks. One running and driving. One in pieces. An Agricat Dozer (9HP Model 23 Briggs and Stratton powered.) A small swing shovel that I built. A 1939 John Deere A Tractor and now a 1925 White Truck that I could not live without for some reason. I can just it as a great parade truck. Rusty but three and a half days of freeing stuck and rusted parts now has it running and driving. Also there are 4 daily drivers at the moment, 3 Chevy Suburban's and a 1994 Buick LeSabre. Dandy Dave!    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I always thought the number of cars you own is equal to the number of garage stalls +1.  In other words, you never have enough room!!

I've always known that as Rule #1 of Car Collecting.  Rule #2 is that a vintage car, no matter how decrepit, trumps a modern car, no matter how new, for garage space (some exceptions for cold country).

In a more serious vein, one space issue is the acquisition of parts which MAY be useful in the future but must be acquired now because they are (1) available and (2) relatively cheap.  This is especially problematic for us city boys and girls.

2 hours ago, Wheelmang said:

I thought I was done adding but this post has made me realize I am not even up to normal yet with only 3 antique cars, a Jag,  an F250 truck, motorcycle, ATV, camper and three trailers. Wonder what the wife would think about more??

The Jag should count as four , double the headaches and two times better looking then  most other cars.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, C Carl said:

Why yes , y'ol' duff' ! ? Yes indeed there is ! And you are already THERE , because you are already are HERE ! ? 

In my opinion , step one is to store any of your cars worth saving so that they do not further deteriorate. Step two is to properly and carefully prepare all engines worth saving for start up , and then start 'em (or better , drive 'em) , from time to time. Continue adhering to the advice of this greatest automotive support group , many of which members , myself included , are ol' duffers too.

You do not want to end up like poor Ron , (see "Update on Ron's cars.." below , posted by nick8086 Dec22). Nor aging , fading , Bernie Long of Bloomington , CA , (East of L.A.) , who advertises in Hemming's. I know Bernie , but have not spoken with him for several months. If he is still with us , his treasure will be intact. I , (and others) , expect that those daughters of his will just have his properties scraped clean and sold ASAP after he is gone. Have you seen pics I have posted of Bernie's place ? Hey ! I'll show you a few to help you by way of support !     Good luck , brother !    - Carl

If your pictures are of Bernie's stuff, then I would classify him as a hoarder. Yes, there are good parts in those photos, but good luck identifying them & digging them out. It looks like if Bernie could get it & drag it back to his place, he did so & it went on one of the piles. He should have been selling 30 or 40 years ago instead of continuing to hoard. You're probably right in assuming his heirs will have someone come in & clean the place out for scrap. It's NOT the heirs fault if they do. IT'S BERNIE'S FAULT for not taking care of it when he had the opportunity to do so.

If he cares for some of that stuff, maybe he'll sell a bunch of it (cars included) to a single buyer at a good price & it will be saved. Selling the stuff in Hemmings, on Ebay, or any other venue other than maybe an auction is not an option timewise.

11 hours ago, crazycars said:

At present, I am up to 15 antique cars ranging from 1915 to 1930, all in need of "something".  I have several acres of land and a huge barn which houses most of the cars but have found it necessary to set up four Harbor Freight portable garages to house the rest. My place is starting to look like the circus came to town!   Some guys can't walk past a beautiful woman without stopping. I can't walk past an old car without buying!  Luckily,I am a pretty skilled amateur mechanic and have a well stocked shop but...

Is there a support group for guys like me?

an old duffer

I'm up to 9 classified as "Antique Cars" (25 years and older) between 1920 and 1989 and all with long history to me since I can't seem to sell anything! 

As to a support group, have been listening recently to my wife of soon to be 38 years saying, "What are you going to do with those Cars?":o

All have decent parking spots for now and have not deteriorated like sitting outside does but reaching that old duffer stage (depending on your definition - ha ha) has me thinking lately and likely need to accept selling two and move on with a less complicated pressure life. 

Even at (7?) could be too much in my case. Everyone has different stations in life and the economics definitely come into play. 

Must say I appreciate you bringing this thread up and appreciate others who have posted their experience and opinions.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

The Jag should count as four , double the headaches and two times better looking than  cars.

Just finished mouse damaged wires on the Jag a week ago. Here is the wiring diagram for just the rear portion of the throttle body. Also just finished rewiring my 26 DB. Care to guess which one was fun and which one had some tense moments?

Jag electrical.JPG

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, trimacar said:

A friend of mine and I have a theory, that if you have just one old car, you're a little silly, if you have a hundred old cars, you're daft....but if you have 10 or 12, then that's pretty normal.....of course, we each have 10 or 12!!

Amen, 12......................................

With a new year I have a new toy box so plenty of room for new toys.  Unfortunately I still need to buy windows, Build or buy a garage door, 4 man doors, Just to close it in.  So it will probably be some time before I can afford to buy anything to put in it.  

As it is,  I'm going to sell my 40 Ford coupe so I can put the floor in with radiant heat,  then I still have to electrify and insulate the whole thing.  It will be atleast another 50G before it can be an actual heated garage.   

IMG_8783.JPG.2dc1424c2ec9815aa836da75d39

• Like 3

I have a heated and cooled garage, wish it was that big!  Only problem, I put in a Mitsubishi split system, works great except when this cold.  It's a heat pump, so it's good for maybe 35 degrees from outside, one way or the other, so at 10 outside I'm only at 45 in the garage, a little too cold for my hands!

I'd like to put some other heat, but it's attached to house, so can't use open propane as it would smell up the house.  I definitely will put something in this year, though, for next year.  Otherwise, the split unit is great, and requires very little electricity.

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Projects take up a lot less space than whole cars, I'm trying to get all the parts together and an inventory list made up this year. 

Bob 

Are you sure about that?  Usually there is the project car,  half apart then the other 2 stalls full of spare parts for the restoration.  (half of which should probably just be throw out)

I also got away for multiple garage doors by building a garage big enough to drive them in one door then turn them and park them down the sides.  

In the North country,  besides cost of doors,  you have a lot of heat loss from each.  Remember the R11 doors rely on a 1/4 inch  vinyl seal. 

The other 28x50 clear span garage is insulated but only partly finished and I heated that with 200 gallons of Kerosene for the entire winter at 50.   I should be able to knock it down from there once I finish putting the rest of the 1 inch foam insulation up. 

Eventually I was thinking of an outdoor boiler,  wood/coal combo centrally located.  That would heat both garages and the over 3000 square foot house. 

I have alot of wood I clean top on the property every year and there is a robust logging trade in the area. 

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Projects take up a lot less space than whole cars, I'm trying to get all the parts together and an inventory list made up this year. 

Bob 

I don't share that idea.  Projects always take at least two spaces for working room and parts piles. They only get down to one space when finished or abandoned.

• Like 2

Around twenty, AACA qualified, but no AACA group within 800 miles of me, so that doesn't matter. The twenty doesn't count the daily drivers, all of which are over twenty years old. All housed, except the five daily drivers. The drivers hold up pretty well in our temperate climate. Driven regularly, but no more then 4-5K miles a year, they won't wear out in my lifetime. Mary is a car gal, so we both share in the insanity. This didn't happen overnight and it's not going to, significantly, change in the near future. Sold a few lately, but hopefully, only to the right owner. Having had most of my cars for a long time, history and sentimentality, is both a friend and an enemy.

3 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

I was not going to comment here about having too many cars. When I hear guys saying they can't handle caring for 5 or 10 cars, I laugh. I am not proud to admit this but I am jammed up, bumper to bumper with stuff that I have not even seen or touched for what seems like centuries. Some stuff was passed down to me, other stuff I picked up as I grew up. As for having an understanding wife, my Queen not only could care less about how many cars I have, she also keeps a lookout for old cars that she knows I would be interested in. At times, she tries to talk me into buying more old cars if the deal is just too good to pass up. She even offers to pay for the cars. Although she was not a car girl when we found each other, she now has about 15 of her own cars. Most of her cars are from before 1930 and my sweetheart is not even 40! She can drive any automobile built. She can get our steam cars fired up by herself. Geez, where was this girl hiding? She can run my 21 Speed Mack Diesel trucks faster than I can and this is no joke. As long as the house and yard are kept nice and clean and the cars are out of sight, she is happy. I do agree with most of you, there comes a time when it gets out of control and you need to start clearing both your garage and the garage in your mind. My restored cars have not been out for some time now due to the fact that they are totally blocked in. To get a car out for a Sunday drive, would take several months worth of work. When I was single, younger and had alot of free time, it was great. This was just a way of life for me growing up. Now, with work, raising little kids and all the other family responsibility that comes to a man in his 40s like myself, there is very little time for the cars. Maybe someday when I reach retirement age, I will dig back in. I do know one thing for sure, I "DO NOT" want to be stuck with this amount of cars when I am 70 or 80. The thought of it scares the crap out of me. Don't turn into me guys. It is an addiction that takes over. I know this and it's not as good as it sounds. I still love the cars, the shows, our fellow collectors and the hobby itself. The passion, excitement and drive does not go away, at least not for me but it can get overwhelming at times.

Does she have a younger single sister??

If you 

have a car, or cars, that you didn't drive last year,

you may already have too many.

Guess its time to sell them all!

What happened to " just admiring them"?

Think of all the money I saved not going to a shrink in my lifetime...................