What insurance do you use?

james Peters

I need an insurance provider that offers the most affordable rates for a 1966 Mustang that I'm thinking about purchasing. What insurance are you guys using? I noticed that many people have been recommending State Farm or an auto insurance company called Farmers. Are there better options than these? Take this into consideration. The car will not be driven much so I don't want to pay a ton if I don't have to. Also,  I have a family member in the military, has anyone tried USAA? Thanks for any advice given!

Edited by james Peters
update (see edit history)

This topic comes up a lot. The consensus is usually Any major antique car dealer policy is good. Grundy, JC Taylor, Haggerty, etc. 

I personally use JC Taylor. I have found thier customer service is friendly and efficient and I pay for towing also. (50 miles from home included for very little). I have added and dropped many cars in the last three years and all communication with them is pleasant. 

I have never ever had a claim, but I hear they have a good reputation, as do all listed above. My cars are in Oregon and Texas. 

You could search this forum for “antique car insurance” and find a lot more info. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

James, do you currently have a car and is it insured for daily driving?

Yes, one of the most "popular" topics on not only this forum but a lot of other car club forum I frequent (MG, Model T, Etc).

Like anything else, you won't know how good the company is until you have a claim.  Cheap and best do not always fit in the same sentence!  That's why I always recommend J.C. Taylor based on personal experience.  I've seen them in action, then a couple of years ago, had a claim on one of our MGs that got the rear end bumped.  Could not have asked for nicer folks to deal with.  No hesitation on repair shop or parts.  So, if you shop for the cheapest, you're approaching this the wrong way.  Listen to what folks here have to say about their claims.  Whatever you do, just go with one of the specialty insurers.

• Like 2

James, you should be happily surprised if you

call one of the well respected names in antique-car

insurance:  Hagerty, J. C. Taylor, Grundy, etc.

Unlike mainstream companies, they are attuned to

the needs of antique-car hobbyists, and their policies

accommodate cars used for hobby purposes along

with occasional other use to keep the car in good running

order.  Typically, you'll find they price the cars according to

"agreed value," which meets many hobbyists' needs

if a claim should arise.

Mainstream insurers are positively NOT recommended

for antique cars, as they don't appreciate or understand them.

Those companies may treat your prized antique as just a

used car with very little value if a claim should be made.

GEICO and Safeco are NOT antique-car insurers.

Because hobbyists limit their mileage, and take especially

good care of their vehicles,  you'll find that the cost

for your collectible car might be only $75 a year

with an antique-car insurer.  So feel free to buy a second one!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Good, you have a daily driver, so a collector policy for the collector car is exactly what you need. So far the replies are very similar, and I agree with them.;)

Follow the few rules collector insurance companies have and your results should be great.

• Like 1

You may find Hagerty slightly more expensive than some others;  

but they allow ANY use of the antique car, as long as the annual

mileage falls within their limits.  For example, if you want

to drive your antique to work one day to show your co-workers,

then stop on the way home at the hardware store, they won't

pose objections if you have a claim.  Some other companies might,

though, from what I've read, most are more lenient than they used to be

in this regard.  

Of course, that antique vehicle can't be driven as one's regular car

and still have antique insurance. And your state's antique-licensing

laws might restrict how much you use that car outside of the hobby.

But you'll find that insurance, being affordable, is not a major cost

in your purchase decision.  We can all be grateful for that!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I personally use JC Taylor. I have found thier customer service is friendly and efficient

Since 1974 with me, excellent company. Follow the rules. I have a 1994 Impala SS insured as a collector car with them. I am considering using the car as a daily driver for the summer. If I do I will remove the car from the J. C. Taylor policy and insure it properly as a driver.

It is great to be able to insure collector cars at a low rate, even though it does absolutely nothing to deter buying more! Don't abuse the opportunity.

Bernie

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Since 1974 with me, excellent company. Follow the rules. I have a 1994 Impala SS insured as a collector car with them. I am considering using the car as a daily driver for the summer. If I do I will remove the car from the J. C. Taylor policy and insure it properly as a driver.

True, dad used the 30 A as a daily driver, and even though he also had a dully and many other cars, he had it insured on his standard policy along with his and his wife’s trucks. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

ANY use of the antique car,

I think that is an urban legend and would not be verified by the company. When I thought my 1994 was too new for J. C. Taylor I called Hagerty with very specific questions. Verify, don't go by hearsay.

Bernie

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Verify, don't go by hearsay.

Who says it is "hearsay?"  You're right, Hagerty is

the source for information.

An excellent article on the subject of driving an

insured antique car for non-hobby purposes, and

the insurance coverage or lack of it, can be found

in the magazine Skinned Knuckles of February 2008.

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

An excellent article on the subject of driving an

insured antique car for non-hobby purposes, and

the insurance coverage or lack of it, can be found

in the magazine Skinned Knuckles of February 2008.

And again in recent issues this was covered again.  February and September of 2017.

• Like 1

I would definitely use a classic car insurance company. As said before, using a non-classic car insurance company can be a hassle. If you don't get an "agreed value"  with those general insurance companies you will get very little coverage. In some cases you will need an appraisal to show the value of the car before they will give you an agreed value.  I went through USAA and they send you to American Collectors. They give you a 5 percent discount going through USAA.