Cheap shocks for a 63-65

KongaMan

On 1/4/2018 at 2:23 PM, RivNut said:

Don't confuse "cheap" as in poor quality with "cheap" as in inexpensive.  When Chip stated that Rock Auto had some cheap shocks for the 1st generation Rivieras,  I think he meant that you could get an OE quality shock for just a few bucks. I've been running theses shocks on two Rivieras and have no problems with them. But, I'm not trying to create something that you can drive down a mountain road at the speed of light.  If I want to do that,  I'll trade in my Riviera for a Ferrari.  Gotta love 'em for what they are, not something you're expecting from a 2018 Corvette.

I found out that I need to replace the center link on my 94 Roadmaster.  I checked prices and found the same part number on Amazon Prime "cheaper" than on Rock Auto and Amazon shipped free.  I bought the ACDelco part 'cause I thought it would be better than some aftermarket brand.  When I unboxed it, I saw that it was made in China.  ?  Not inexpensive and not cheap. What could I have done differently in replacing the center link to make the wagon handle like a Lamborghini? I did buy KYB shocks for it, but they were just as "cheap" as Monroes or Gabriel's.  But, they are made in Malaysia. What's a guy to do? Cheap, not made in the U.S., ?

Ed, know how you feel. It gets tiring getting parts of poor quality.

i try to repair or get OEM used parts. A lot of the time there is no other choice, but off shore made products. Recently purchased a Cross pen- made in China and did not know that. Bought a Briggs for Dad”s log splitter- made in China. I have found parts for my Gravely power equipment are made in USA and pricey.

4 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, know how you feel. It gets tiring getting parts of poor quality.

i try to repair or get OEM used parts. A lot of the time there is no other choice, but off shore made products. Recently purchased a Cross pen- made in China and did not know that. Bought a Briggs for Dad”s log splitter- made in China. I have found parts for my Gravely power equipment are made in USA and pricey.

My brother worked for Trend and spent a l9t of time in China working with them on building heating and air conditioning units for the Chinese firm to sell to the Chinese people.  He said those components were just as good as anything built in the U.S.  The problem is that folks try to save money and wind up buying inexpensive stuff from China that's cheaply built. Then everything built in China gets labeled as " cheap Chinese junk." 

If Americans would spend the extra money to buy quality products, then quality products would be built. They'd be too expensive to import and the U.S. would have to step up to produce the quality. Not everything built in the U.S. is that great as well.  It all boils down to what you're willing to spend and will someone build it to that quality.  

Buick's new mid sized SUV is built in China to Buick's expectations.  If Buick doesnt expect much and wants to sell you a new car evry thre years, then thats all they'd put into the quality no matter where it's built.  Buick's Cascada is built in Poland.  Probably the same quality as the new SUV.  

Who really knows?

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, DualQuadDave said:

Hi Steve, will get back to you this weekend with the specific part # you need.  I use the single adj in the front and doubles in the rear, but if you are on air, the singles are probably plenty good enough. 

Dave, here is the  reply from the 'Fitment Technician' at QA1 to my question of which shock they would recommend for my air ride suspension.

"I think you are on the right track looking for a rebound adjustable shock. When you change the air pressure in the bags you are changing the spring rate which will stiffen the suspension. The Monroes are gas charged and are adding the  spring rate of the suspension as well. The best option we have for an adjustable shock for you is our double adjustable Stocker Star shocks which allow you to change both the compression and rebound independently of each other."

Steve

On 1/20/2018 at 9:02 PM, RivNut said:

My brother worked for Trend and spent a l9t of time in China working with them on building heating and air conditioning units for the Chinese firm to sell to the Chinese people.  He said those components were just as good as anything built in the U.S.  The problem is that folks try to save money and wind up buying inexpensive stuff from China that's cheaply built. Then everything built in China gets labeled as " cheap Chinese junk." 

If Americans would spend the extra money to buy quality products, then quality products would be built. They'd be too expensive to import and the U.S. would have to step up to produce the quality. Not everything built in the U.S. is that great as well.  It all boils down to what you're willing to spend and will someone build it to that quality.  

Buick's new mid sized SUV is built in China to Buick's expectations.  If Buick doesnt expect much and wants to sell you a new car evry thre years, then thats all they'd put into the quality no matter where it's built.  Buick's Cascada is built in Poland.  Probably the same quality as the new SUV.  

Who really knows?

Ed, I’m on board with you. I don’t care what the guy/gal looks like when they build things or where they live. I’m willing to pay good dollars for good products.My wife wanted the Kia Optima. I got were the SXL model with all “stuff “. I like the turbo charged engine and the heated steering. The Optima is about 60% as much fun to drive as the 63 Riviera. :-)

i suppose you take each item as you make a purchase. I figured the Chinese could make any product to spec. I figured the Chinese product was weak because the Chinese opted for cheaper components. It seems American made stuff is better quality components. Like you said, “ Who knows”?