Booreatta

Mecum Auction

I don't post much but! I have two Lincoln continental 68 and 69. These car are very well built compared to the muscle cars. Yet there value will never reach that of the muscle cars! As far as the Reatta's, they might be under powered and all that, but there time has not come yet! If nothing else, there lack of numbers will be what will bring up their value!

• Like 1

Yes they were expensive cars, even more so in Canada, at least $10,000 or more. I remember looking at them when they were new, well out of my price range at the time.

Keith

Mecum selling prices. The 60K mile Coupe $ 2,750. The 1990 240 mile Select 60 $25,850. A new High and a new low for what looked like a  nice 89 Coupe.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dashmaster said:

Mecum selling prices. The 60K mile Coupe $ 2,750. The 1990 240 mile Select 60 $25,850. A new High and a new low for what looked like a  nice 89 Coupe.

If that is a new low then I must have got a steal of a deal for mine. It had 59,563 miles on it when I bought it for $2,200

Although I wish I could afford $25,850 I would have bought the Select 60.

I almost wonder if the recent weather there has anything to do with it???

Edited by Frogware (see edit history)

I think you did get a good deal. I think $2750 was a great deal on a 60K car.  I also believe both of the cars sold a auction were a good investment... for a young man. :)  If you were buying to turn a quick buck I think the coupe was the better deal.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 1:25 PM, 2seater said:

I doubt very much you will find anything performance related for the vin C engine. I have looked and looked over many years and have found nothing. The later models, especially the Series II has a fairly good market. The mid 80's through the mid'90's was a fairly rapid transition time for the 3.8/3800 until the Series II which remained relatively unchanged for a decade. Some cross breeding is possible, like people did with the SBC, but only incremental improvements are likely without compromising the basic reliability, emissions and long life. Boost is the most effective bang for the buck IMHO. 

i once had an eldelbrock power package on a 1978?3800.aluminum four barrel intake and carb plus a hotter cam.probably no parts interchange.

1 hour ago, handmedownreatta said:

i once had an eldelbrock power package on a 1978?3800.aluminum four barrel intake and carb plus a hotter cam.probably no parts interchange.

Yes, none of that would interchange. It sounds like an engine a friend has in an Anglia. Odd fire Buick 3.8, hot cam, four barrel intake all connected to a five speed manual trans. It really scoots in the lightweight car and seems to rev to the moon. 

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Yes, none of that would interchange. It sounds like an engine a friend has in an Anglia. Odd fire Buick 3.8, hot cam, four barrel intake all connected to a five speed manual trans. It really scoots in the lightweight car and seems to rev to the moon. 

Is that the old 3.8 that idled so rough? I remember people hating those engines in family cars because they felt like a spark plug wire was disconnected at idle. :)

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Is that the old 3.8 that idled so rough? I remember people hating those engines in family cars because they felt like a spark plug wire was disconnected at idle. :)

Yes, that's the one. The visual of a V8 distributor with two missing connections explained a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't just the balance shaft, the other big difference was the offset crank than made the cylinders 120 degrees apart. "Evenfire". Even funnier when Merc came out with the M112 3.2 V6 in 2000 it was a 90 degree with an offset crank and balance shaft something they copied again in the M271 that they so screwed up the balance shaft led to a class action suit.

Every time I take my coupe out the genXers can't believe the touch scream.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Every time I take my coupe out the genXers can't believe the touch scream.

Yea- I occasionally hear "what was it before you upgraded it?" and heard the doosey "it would've been worth more without the weird touch screen you put in it". Rude, clueless people. Everyone's so jaded now days because most (newer) cars have a touch-something-or-other. I just usually direct people to Wikipedia.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, Imperial62 said:

It will be interesting to see what the SS brings, right?  One of our truly collectible holy grail cars, with absolute minimal mileage ala 1976 Cadillac Eldorados and 1987 GNX's.  But - the room will not be filled with people who care a whole lot, in my opinion. 

I will bet it sells for $15,000 - unless one of us, like a Marck Barker type or such - spies it and bids on it.  But if there are not Reatta geeks in the crowd maybe even bidding against each other, then I think it's a $15,000 hammer. 

Compare that to most modern collector cars with the pedigree of a 1 of 60 production and the differences between the "normal" rare Reatta and a SS, and the other cars would likely sell for much more.   I am interested to see if this SS goes over $20K. 

I just checked the auction results and the Select Sixty  SOLD for $ 25,850.00... I thought it would have sold for more with only 240 miles...

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-322417/1990-buick-reatta-convertible/

Edited by NCBRIJEN (see edit history)