restoration shop

misterc9

Does anyone have any recommendations for a restoration shop? A friend has two cars, an early thirties Lincoln and a late thirties Packard. Both were museum cars and have been in storage for years. They are decent but are stale from sitting. The idea here is to make them showable in a museum again.  Both are limousine type big deal cars. They also need to be put in good mechanical shape. They realize this is BIG MONEY.  The cars are in Upstate New York. Any recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks

4 hours ago, misterc9 said:

The cars are in Upstate New York. 

That would be north of the Thruway, more or less.

But in the eastern or western part of the state?

People take cars to shops that are far away, but

finding a good shop fairly close to you is a bonus,

so you can stop in regularly and check on the work.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

"Museum Quality" does not mean it runs nor is it an AACA show winner. Sounds like a good cleaning, i.e. detailing, is what is needed to see what the car's condition is now, and then to see what is needed to make them OK for showing in a museum again. Running is usually not needed for a museum, since they will not ever be started again, unless it is a special museum. 

I bring this up not to confuse the situation, but to make sure the car owner and the restoration shop are on the same page for what the end result needs to be. ;)

I agree that having a decent shop nearby is great! 

• Like 1

Fawcett Motors in Whitby Ont. Can. 905-668 4446 doing an 07 model K 6 cyl. Ford from the US plus a few other cars now. Started in the early 60s by Ron Fawcett a Pierce man who has passed and now run by son Peter. Did extensive work on my 30 Cadillac plus a friends 1929 Packard roadster that rolled over. When the Packard stopped it was upside down with the trailer on top and is now judged by CCCA high 90s. Restoring a good friends 1914 McLaughlin Buick M55 6 cyl. at present only one made. They restore many US cars because of the Canadian $$$ is like getting 35 % off.  About 2 Hr. from Buffalo.

• Like 2

I applaud the OP for recognizing that "Both have historical significance and are worth the effort and expense".  It warms my heart to see someone emphasizing something other than monetary value. "Beware the Philistine who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing".

• Like 2

Penn-Dutch is a great choice, and they would do a good job for you.

If you want to consider someone in Virginia, there's a great restoration shop in Berryville, PM me if you'd like contact info.  He's dealt with Stanleys to Duesenbergs,  and does great work. 

You could send one car to each shop!!

• 2 weeks later...