1951 Engine Swap Auto Trans to Manual

I have a 1951 Land Cruiser V-8, manual transmission with overdrive.  The engine is stuck from sitting in a damp garage.  Soaking the engine in various penetrating oils for several years has not free it.  I have the chance to buy an engine from a 1954 Hawk, but it is an automatic.  Is this a straight forward interchange or are there differences between the manual and automatic versions of this engine?  Is the manual pressure plate a direct bolt up?  What else should I look out for?

There were no Hawks until 1956, so I assume you are referring to a '54 Commander Starlight Coupe or Starliner Hardtop. There are only two differences in the engines. The '54 has a stronger camshaft, and the engine number is stamped at the front left of the block, rather than the rear right in the '51.

But there is much to change in converting your LC to the Borg Warner DG200 automatic; from brake linkages, brake pedal, shifter linkages, steering column and on and on. I would keep the 3-speed w/OD, a marvelous transmission. And all you will need to do is swap the flex plate from the '54 for the flywheel from the '51. But this WILL require swapping the bolts in the tail flange of the crank shaft. And it may require a pilot bushing. Then be certain to dial indicate the '51 standard bell housing to the '54 V-8. This procedure is explained in the Shop Manual. If you don't have one, procure it from a Studebaker vendor, such as Stephen Allen or Studebaker International.

The DG automatic is also a very fine transmission; fiercely over-constructed.  My '51 Commander has it and I like it a lot. But I would be happy with either, and the headaches you will encounter putting the automatic in to yours are totally un-required.

If you really want to get a lot of input on your plan, post your question to the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

The participation there is primarily post war and the participants visit and contribute rampantly. They will inform you more than you want to know. And you will get responses from those who know much more than I. ;)

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

Thanks for your comments.  The engine is coming from a Commander Starlight Coupe.  I plan on keeping the manual with overdrive.  As I get into the project, I sure I will have more questions.  I do have the shop manual and will be reviewing it before the swap.  

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)