Minnesota title question.

Is anyone from Minnesota that can answer a question about titling an untitled out of state car? Looking to buy a '65 Impala SS from a state that doesn't require old car titles. I will have to have it titled in MN & I want to do it ETHICALY, CORRECTLY, LEGALLY, & ABOVE BOARD. I don't want to buy a made up title or use a title service either.

Any help is appreciated.

George, print out the dmv info from the state that doesn’t require a title and bring it to a dmv in your area. My experience is often the clerks don’t understand the process so you may have to ask for a regional manager. 

I recently took a NH registration on a car with info from the NH dmv’s site, (that states the law that NH doesn’t issue a title for older cars, and the registration is proof of ownership), and got a Texas title for it.

I had to speak with a few people and push the issue before they were willing to research this and process it. It really depends on the state the car is from and the state you want to title it in, amount other details such as your residency, etc. 

20 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Is anyone from Minnesota that can answer a question about titling an untitled out of state car? Looking to buy a '65 Impala SS from a state that doesn't require old car titles. I will have to have it titled in MN & I want to do it ETHICALY, CORRECTLY, LEGALLY, & ABOVE BOARD. I don't want to buy a made up title or use a title service either.

Any help is appreciated.

George, yes you can do this, but you better get this as a written promise from the state and don't even think about doing this now. Don't know if you have been watching this in the news, the state switched over to a new title system and it still has plenty of bugs. I've had Minnesota title on a car for the past 5 years, last September I switched from regular to collector plates. If I didn't have the title locked in my safe there would be no record of title and I'm still waiting on the plates.

George there is an easy answer take whatever info you have for the car to an attorney in your county that does this type of work. That attorney will look over what you have and be able to tell you what to expect. I get titles this way all the time my attorney is a retired judge and he does all kinds of titles. For the one hundred dollars he charges me I save all kinds of time and then I walk in to the dmv hand them my papers and walk out with a title.

George, just contact the DMV in St. Paul. They will give you plenty of info and the process is not that bad. Former ownership is transferable if the former owner can provide documentation and possibly insurance coverage. You will need insurance before you apply. 

I am in MN and did exactly what you are asking about.  The MN DMV told me it could not be done 15 years ago.  I asked them how do you get the title from a repossessed car?  DMV said gather all supporting documentation and submit it to the MN courts.  At the courthouse I submitted one form signed along with a bill of sale, signed by the previous owner in Maine.   A signed letter from the Secretary of State of Maine (don't ask me how he got it).  And the Maine "pink slip" ownership transfer for the state of Maine.  I turned it all in and the Judge ordered the State of MN to issue me a title, took several months.

Since then it has gotten a lot easier (the court has been removed) you only have to deal with the DMV.  So yes it can be done...I would not do it again unless I had to....that said, I have one now I need to title, the title I got was for the wrong car.  Short answer it can be done.

Good Luck!