Radiator Emblems

Terry Bond

For collectors, historians, restorers, and anyone interested, i received an email from good friends Mike and Murray Shears in England and they have launched a new website featuring their work, research and collecting of automobile emblems.

http://www.americanautoemblems.com/

Mike and Murray are some of the most dedicated collectors I know in this area and over their years of collecting have traveled the world in search of rare and high quality early auto emblems.   They have been researching history and are launching this American edition first, and no doubt, more emblems from around the globe will follow in the months to come.  We are indebted to them for their dedication and thorough research not only on emblems and their manufacture but the history of collecting itself.  Please enjoy and if you have anything to contribute to this important work of research I'm sure they would be appreciative. 

Happy new year and happy collecting to everyone!

Terry

• Like 3

AWESOME! I have a modest collection of radiator emblems; most of which belonged to my parents. They were members of AACA going back to the early 1960's, and collected emblems, hood ornaments, and hubcaps. I've kept the emblems myself, and added several more to the collection. Some few of mine are pretty uncommon, I believe. I will really look forward to using their website for future research and enjoyment. 

Thanks for posting this! 

When I was a kid, we didn't have a garage at home, so my dad kept our 1923 Hupmobile touring car in my grandmother's garage. It was about 10 miles from our home. He didn't have much patience for kids who knew nothing about mechanical things, tools, or old cars, but whenever I visited that garage, I loved staring at an old poster he kept on the wall of vintage car radiator emblems. After an accident claimed my dad, I asked Grandma if that poster was still around, and if I might have it. But she didn't recall the poster, and it was long gone. Years later I finally found another copy, mounted in a frame and displayed at Carlisle swap meet. I paid $45, and hauled it home. But not before several other folks saw me carrying it around, and trying to buy it from me. I persevered, and now it is hanging on my own shop wall. Is anyone else on this forum familiar with this old poster of Radiator emblems from the Behr-Manning company? 

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, lump said:

When I was a kid, we didn't have a garage at home, so my dad kept our 1923 Hupmobile touring car in my grandmother's garage. It was about 10 miles from our home. He didn't have much patience for kids who knew nothing about mechanical things, tools, or old cars, but whenever I visited that garage, I loved staring at an old poster he kept on the wall of vintage car radiator emblems. After an accident claimed my dad, I asked Grandma if that poster was still around, and if I might have it. But she didn't recall the poster, and it was long gone. Years later I finally found another copy, mounted in a frame and displayed at Carlisle swap meet. I paid $45, and hauled it home. But not before several other folks saw me carrying it around, and trying to buy it from me. I persevered, and now it is hanging on my own shop wall. Is anyone else on this forum familiar with this old poster of Radiator emblems from the Behr-Manning company? 

Haven't seen that one before, I have this similar one on my wall from Eaton Mfg. company

IMG_0180 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Nice poster, TexRiv. I've never seen that one. 

I've tried a few times over the years to find a better copy of the one I have, with no luck. I may get my staff to photograph it carefully, then use our graphic arts skills and equipment to bright the colors just a bit, and repair any flaws, and then print out a new copy. I would like to make it adhesive but easily removable, like those life-size football-star posters (remember "Fatheads?") that used to be advertised on TV. That way it won't ever fall off the wall, won't collect dust or spider webs, and won't be in the way. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lump,  In the final photo of your poster there is a Staver Chicago serial number tag. It is just above the "T" in the KRIT Rad script.  I am very interested in Staver Chicago. Is it possible for you to post a better photo of the Tag ?  It is possibly off one of their horse drawn carriages and if so of secondary interest , however if it is off a car it would add further information to my data base on Staver automobiles.

Greg in Canada

1912 Staver Chicago Model 40 project

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Hi Lump,  In the final photo of your poster there is a Staver Chicago serial number tag. It is just above the "T" in the KRIT Rad script.  I am very interested in Staver Chicago. Is it possible for you to post a better photo of the Tag ?  It is possibly off one of their horse drawn carriages and if so of secondary interest , however if it is off a car it would add further information to my data base on Staver automobiles.

Greg in Canada

1912 Staver Chicago Model 40 project

Greg, I'll be glad to do whatever I can to assist you with this. I am at the office right now, so I have only that same photo available to me. I cropped in closer and lightened the photo a bit, and have posted it here for you now. Later this evening I'll try to take a very close-up photo of that one emblem, and post that one too. Hope this helps! 

IMG_0395 -Staver.jpg

1 hour ago, lump said:

Greg, I'll be glad to do whatever I can to assist you with this. I am at the office right now, so I have only that same photo available to me. I cropped in closer and lightened the photo a bit, and have posted it here for you now. Later this evening I'll try to take a very close-up photo of that one emblem, and post that one too. Hope this helps! 

IMG_0395 -Staver.jpg

Thanks !, that's perfect.  That tag is actually off Staver's  somewhat odd automotive styled carriage that was introduced in 1914. The Car tags usually use a "Alpha" model or a H.P. rating as model designation. And the unit numbers on the automobiles are a lot lower, generally 3 digit or low 4 digit numbers.  That tag would have been from one of these  car / carriage machines. This one has an electric drive fitted but most were straight Horse drawn vehicles.

Greg in Canada

08ee704d07a820ec69bdad7b2763ebbd.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)