Buick Registry

Dan O

The BCA does have membership information, including vehicles reported as owned, and a Roster is printed about every three years.  One should be a member to access that information.  However, this information is only about members, and therefore, not to be considered conclusive. 

sAny "registry" depends upon the vehicle owners to report to it what they might own/have/drive.  There might be some ways for each state to research their registrations, as to the number of particular vehicles registered in their particular state, BUT that can probably be variable AND would rely on existing current registrations.

There should be some production numbers which can be found, to get an initial idea of how many were built.  From that, it'd be a guess as to how many might still exist, much less how many are still in the USA.

As mentioned, the BCA has information only on their current members.  Access to that information is restricted to current members only.

Are you desiring to network with other members or needing assistance in parts/repairs?  Just curious.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hello Am not in Houston area but rather in Erie,Pa but do have a 1949 Buick Super convertible restored to factory colors of Sunmist gray red interior and tan top.This is an early car with the more rounded deck lid ,steel top well .The speedometer is stamped nov 48 so probably one of the 1st 49 model 56c built ,Gary 

786A2302-2AA1-4269-9629-3DD95A78016D.jpeg

1256FA04-0F27-4591-8104-78B55959F1B2.jpeg

• Like 3

The 49 super convertible above and other convertible supers road masters of that era 46 to 51 are Beutiful cars  and in the context of the post subject it interests me also on the issue of how many survivors there are.  I’ve read similar general posts on this subject and the point was made that there may be more convertible model survivors because they are popular and consequently have more value ,thus making restoration less of a black hole and irrespective of costs enthusiasts of open top motoring want one . I know two such members of this forum who are currently restoring 1947 convertibles and I follow with interest and it is thanks to these enthusiastic folk that these fine cars are saved. 

However the technical abilities required ,must deter some would be restorer and there may  be some great cars just waiting for the owner to accept its beyond their capabilities, restoration budgets or  they be keeping for sentimental reasons.  There has been a noticeable increase in value of convertibles of this era so this may bring out more  cars into the public arena, but how many,  anyone’s guess. So back to survivor rates I’ve no idea , but the theories and factors are interesting. I have a 53 special,3 speed manual and I often wonder how many sisters she still has.100, 500.?😊

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

Chrome costs alone are high on restoration of my 49 just got the top frame brackets done on mine ,was over 1,200 & but if you are going to restore a car l want to do it right. The chrome is probably the single most expense on restoration of many cars when getting into the late 1940 s and up to early 60 s era cars but really to represent them correctly it’s part of the restoration.Gary

The 1949 Buicks really rock!  I, too, would like to drill down into the BCA registry to learn more about the cars.  My Super four-door sedan, model 51, is one of 131,514 produced. It has a manual transmission (15 percent).  Unlike gdmn852's car, mine is a late-production model with many late-model oddities.

Hello I to would like to know more of the development of the 49 Buick  .Cadillac and Oldsmobile both used the same body but starting in 48 One would think they would have body development done by then. I think the 49 was the nicest styled post war car Buick made ,Gary

• Like 2