Anybody know what ~1907 car this is?

Skooter

It always makes you thi9nk and wonder?  I tend to agree with David, the rendition looks closely related to the shown Olds.  But my second thought.....I wonder what those 5 gents all dressed, unlike country folks, are doing out in the south pasture?  I do not see mountains or the makings of a city in the background.  hmmmmm what are they up to?  Maybe on their way to a cock fight, where a bit of high end gambling would take place?

Al

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Maybe on their way to a cock fight, where a bit of high end gambling would take place?

More likely at a bit of horse racing. They have binoculars. Or perhaps one of the early automobile races or reliability trials. They are probably advertising their clothes?

So what was the title story in the magazine?

Love those Lyendecker illustrations.  Although he was a prolific magazine cover illustrator there are a lot of prints and even some original cover artwork that survives in collections.  Here is an example of a magazine cover and the original artwork..

Colliers artwork original.jpg

Colliers automobile number by Lyndecker.jpg

I bought some Peter Helck prints at Hershey 35 years ago and have never grown tired of looking at them. I see they also have / had them upstairs at the museum a couple of years ago but no great value to them I would think. They were originally for Esquire magazine.

2017-12-29 2017-12-29 001 001.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Both the illus and the circa 06 Olds pic are fascinating---

Leyendeckers  chauffeur?? looks uniformed, but his cap at a rakish angle implies some kind of closer relationship to??

If her car, a no-no; people were always talking about attractive women and their attractive chauffeurs...,more likely his car....

Obviously looking at something/somethings off in the distance or he wouldn't've had to point something out; both their expressions are more somber, intent than amused or excited. hers possibly because she and the chauffeur seem to be looking in a different direction than he's pointing...

Many of these upscale illustrators magazine cover illus's were titled; if you have the mag look on the page with all the publisher/publication data for a credit...Leyendecker did do beautiful work; personally, I prefer Coles Phillips...

If it was 1917 instead of 07 I'd guess she was one of the swells that used to tun out to watch the gories--oops--glories of war...

The circa 06 Olds has   what appears to be  businessmen in the back, one somewhat casually dressed (an engineer?) ; the beefy type behind the wheel looks like he's pretending to be the period Barney Oldfield, gong down the road as if the finance company was chasing him, all dressed in the latest "automobiling" styles, while the military looking goggled type looks more like a professional driver...(everyone's eyes are on the camera, but not Beefy; he's off in his own world)...

Out doing some performance demos for the brass, and Beefy couldn't resist getting a picture of hiimself fulfilling a fantasy???

Welcome , Skooter ! Glad you joined in the fun ! I make ol' Beef' for a student driver. Chauffeur next to him " learnin' 'im up." Not much to collide with out in the field of clover. Now as to the entourage in the subject pic : I don't care who M'damme is , or what her relationship is to anyone ; she would have been requested to remove her dainty shoes before I would have let her stomp my seat if the car were mine. Seriously ! Marie (my brother's girlfriend) got kicked out of my brand new '77 Blazer and given a ticket home from Costa Rica after being admonished a number of times for such disrespect. My bro' had to tend to her , but dumped her shortly thereafter. Fortunately , Barbara was as easy to get along with as Marie was difficult. Rewarded for her flawless personality , she continued on. Even got to see Macchu Picchu in days before it became inundated with "touristes".       HAPPY NEW YEAR !       - Carl 

We can imagine what the story depicts - that's the true talent these early artists.  That's why their artwork has such broad appeal.  I've got a lot of favorite artists and would love to find more about some of them.    The Lady Driving in pic number one was also used as a cover advertisement for the 1908 International High Wheeler catalog.   The next one is a print by Underwood entitled Lessons in Motoring.  They all tell a story.  Any info appreciated and would love to see pics of your favorite wall-hangers.

Terry

20160114_184852 - Copy.jpg

20160114_184924 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Thanks for mentioning the Collier tie-in to the autos Bob.  The Revs Institute in Naples is  indeed a world-class auto museum, the basis of which is the Collier collection and archives.  If you love racing history you need to include this museum. Best part, no barriers around the cars so you can get up close and personal, and take some amazing photos.  The staff is very helpful.  Of course the Colliers originated racing in Watkins Glen, and they campaigned an MG!  We had our 48 TC up there a few years ago for their big anniversary reunion.  Biggest thrill for us was on the old original course through the village, rounding Miliken's corner as we came into town.  It felt just like it must have felt back in 1948 with crowds on the corner waving, cheering and snapping photos.

Terru

53 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

I would guess that the car is a compilation of several makes and the artists memory.

I respectfully disagree.  Fenders, curve of rear doors, half- doors on front, cowl, all match the Oldsmobile...if you look closely at the drawn wheels you can even see the hint of the rim bolts shown in the picture.  

I recognized the car because I once looked at a pile of parts that was about one and a half Palace touring, in pieces.  I considered buying, but, though an extremely rare car, it was too large a ptoject.