Saw this Studebaker today....

keiser31

This was the "last fling" for the venerable Commander 6 (245 c.i. now) in a car. It continued for a few more years in some of the trucks.

Based on observations at Studebaker International Meetings, no-one wants the 1950 Commander when they can have a 1951 with pretty much the same shape but with a V8. There seems to  be a plethora or '50 Champions on the show field but very few Commanders.

1 hour ago, D Yaros said:

Not being a Studebaker expert, can anyone educate me on the "why" of the three (3) white lamps on the rear of the car.  Why not 2 or 4?  Assume some are backup lights?  Wondering?

I'm also no expert - one may chime in.  But I'd guess the larger one is backup and the two smaller ones are turn and/or parking.  Would they still have been options in 1950?

2 hours ago, D Yaros said:

Not being a Studebaker expert, can anyone educate me on the "why" of the three (3) white lamps on the rear of the car.  Why not 2 or 4?  Assume some are backup lights?  Wondering?

Two look to be aftermarket turn signals and one larger backup lamp. I do not think they were even an option on the 1950. I see amber bulbs in the two outer units.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Turn signals did not become mandatory until 1951 but many earlier cars had them as an option or the owner had them added later. It seems unusual to add separate lights, the usual alteration was to put a different socket in the tail light for a 2 filament bulb.

Were those turn signals a Studebaker option or some aftermarket addition?

My '50 Commander has factory installed turn signals, so the red lamps (tail lamps) flash in the rear, and the white lamps flash in the front (parking lamps below headlamps). It was an option. I do not have back up lamps.

They look to be Studebaker accessory turn signal lights and backup up lamp. There was an article in Turning Wheels a few years back on proper '50 accessories.

I like the '50 bullet much better than the '51 bullet, so that's why I bought one, even if it has the six. I also have the Detroit Gear (Borg Warner) automatic, that was a mid '50 option. It has a lockup torque converter, so much for that being a new idea in the late 70s!

I bought mine out of Washington state, so I guess this is its brother! Better than buying an east coast rusty one!;)

23 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I bought mine out of Washington state, so I guess this is its brother! Better than buying an east coast rusty one!;)

Frank, You’re a genius! I say this anytime I see someone restoring an eastern rust bucket. I enjoy watching amazing skills used grinding and welding, but man, what a workout!

Oh I still cut and weld on cars around here. Even daily drivers need this because I drive in the winter with 20 year old cars....  But when I could get a "low rust" car from the west for the same price of rusty cars here and just pay the freight, I went for it!

• Like 1

Don't you other guys, from the PNW, know that you're supposed to keep quiet about our little treasure trove of original cars? Unless of course your trying to sell one. Just kidding! Every part of the country has it's Achill's heel, as far a deterioration goes, we just have less problems then most. I have a number of original NW cars that probably wouldn't have survived elsewhere, including a 1950 Studebaker Strarlight coupe, and a 1951 Champion four door. The 50 Commander is more car then the Champ, and does have a small but dedicated following, but I think that most would prefer the long wheel based Landcruiser.