Antique Boat Thread

alsancle

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I was convinced we were heading to Spring.  Sigh...

Please do not think negative. Think positive that spring is just around the corner. Here are some shots from the Gravenhurst show to help you along alsancle!

2013-07-05 2013-07-05 001 007.JPG

2013-07-05 2013-07-05 001 016.JPG

2013-07-05 2013-07-05 001 017.JPG

2013-07-05 2013-07-05 001 018.JPG

2013-07-05 2013-07-05 001 014.JPG

2013-07-05 2013-07-05 001 015.JPG

• Like 3

A few more from the Float Your Fanny Down the Gany right after the ice goes out in April. The grandkids love to go to this one and take their water guns with them to spray the participants. They get over 50 water craft and takes about 4 Hr. to complete the coarse. Now think spring and we will have the cars out in no time.

2015-04-17 float your fanny 006.JPG

2015-04-17 float your fanny 008.JPG

2015-04-17 float your fanny 011.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

We are getting 8-12 inches tomorrow.  I was convinced we were heading to Spring.  Sigh...

image.thumb.jpeg.98d83da2a04497d81309a9db9636d6cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.63b79b4d9874fb28febc1b819a1e83ff.jpeg

Interesting how the marine gear is driven off the front of the 430.  The engine is backwards to how it would typically be mounted. Must have a unique intake manifold to angle the carburetor on the opposite angle to the automotive application.  What a great boat!

• 3 months later...

Look forward to the article in Wooden Boat Magazine about it's I.D. and restoration someday...even if it's just a "What the hell is this?" piece.

I can see Indiana Jones  pulling up to the S.S. United States in this!

• Like 1

If your not gonna finish the other toy you bought with that one, sell it to me cheap.........I'll finish it ASAP.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
I have very mixed emotions but it is time to let our family Chris Craft ski boat go.   The Boat was sold new at Billing Marine in Shrewsbury Massachusetts and my dad bought it when it was 1 year old. 

What is cool, is that it it was moored in the same dock spot at Billing (which eventually became my home many years later) for 55 years.   My dad dutifully did the work  every spring and fall.   But at 93 he's run out of sons and grandsons with the time to help.

The boat features its original Lincoln big block.  The bottom was professionally replaced (not the keel though) in the late 80s.  Engine has been gone through at least
once.  I took it out of the water for the last time on Saturday and is usable as is, but does have some spots where the mahogany should probably be replaced.   All the gauges with the exception of the speedo (which we could never did) work.

The most important thing is a good home before we store it for the winter,  but would like to get somewhere around 14k which includes the trailer.   See the video from Saturday.

3. Drop me a PM and I can send lots of pictures.

IMG_4724.JPG

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

52346607809_932a1db553_c.jpg2022-09-09_07-56-11 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I think this is a Chris Craft. All wood. Took this pic a few years ago while out on the bay on my buddies boat. I am in a very much water oriented county sitting at the top of the Ches bay. I have never owned a boat and maybe never will. Everytime I get the itch I think better. I have enough bad habits with cars and motorcycles, LOL. As for antique boats, at any one of 50+ marinas in our area one can have their pic on one. They pile them up worse than old cars at the junkyard.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

"My cousin Bubba has a fast boat"

I had a fast boat to.

1973 Sanger flat bottom V drive with a Big Block Chevy. 
we clocked it at 98 mph with a GPS. I sold it shortly afterwards. I was going to kill my self and someone else stupid enough to get in 

John

IMG_3670.png

Edited by JohnS25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can’t help but see the similarities between antique boat collecting/ restoring and antique car collecting/ restoring. In antique cars you can “go underwater figuratively and of course with boats it can be literally and figuratively!

A.J. There is one advantage to the boat, if you do drown at least you don’t have to keep writing out restoration checks

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here it is with a Morgan Supersport and the Sea Maid's Gray Marine Phantom 4-75, which is a Continental F-162, engine.

Seamaid Morgan super.jpg

Seamaid Morgan engine.jpg

• Like 6

Blue devil, looks like your in this “Hook, Line and Sinker”😁

• Haha 3

Working in a marina the 60s and 70s I did many 1930s/40s wooden boats that I would get for very little or nothing.

My first was a 12' ceder strip dingy from a bout 1910, the biggest was 66'.

Its nice seeing some of the old ones, I wish I took photos back in the day.

• Like 4

Here's one with both a local and automotive connection

Miss-Supertest-III.jpg

The driver Bob Hayward was from Embro, Ontario - about 15 miles from Woodstock and of course most oil and gas collectors will know the Supertest name.   Those were some of the bravest/craziest race drivers.  Do they even run Unlimited Hydroplanes anywhere anymore?

• Like 1

I’m a bit farther along than the photos show on my 1930 Gar Wood 28’ triple. I replaced the frames, keel, chines, bottom and batons and have half of the new side planks on. I’m hoping to get it in the water at our house on Lake George this summer.

I have installed a trailer hitch on my 1930 LaSalle so I can get a photo of the two together. Hopefully I can post that this August!

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

Edited by yachtflame
Grammatical upgrade (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1