Stromberg carb identification

DavidAU

A friend has this Stromberg carb and we would like to know what vehicle it may have been made for.  The carb appears like it has never been used and is quite large however the inlet venturi where the choke butterfly is  is only about 5/8" in dia. and the inlet butterfly is only about 7/8" dia.   

As you can see, it also has an adjustable spring loaded valve which must be vacuum actuated to allow more air to come into the carb when it is required.

My thought was it may be for an early single or two-cylinder motor but I'm not sure.

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

The only reference in the Stromberg documents that still exist is for 1910 and 1911 Hudson model 20. As the surviving records of this era are not complete, it is possible there are other applications.

While the carburetor is physically large, it was the smallest of the Stromberg type B carburetors.

Jon.

Somewhere, I've seen the Hudson service sheets for 1910/1911. Apparently, the carburetor the car originally came with was prone to problems, the customers were complaining and the dealers were authorized to furnish different ones. There was a list... and, I think that if they choose the Stromberg, the price of the car went up $5. If the car was already sold, the dealers could replace the carb with one on the list, again charging something extra  for the Stromberg. The B series Strombergs aren't particularly rare in this size... they show up on ebay regularly. While I have no idea what cars may have used them to start with, they appear to have been a popular aftermarket item. My 1911 REO had one and I know it was not the original carb. The B4 is much less common and I've only seen 1 or 2 of the B5.

I had planned to use one on my 1910 Mitchell project, which is why I've been following them but decided to take Carbking's advice and switch to the Stromberg M3.