Summershandy

Letter painted on '54 firewall

It is an inspection stamp from Fisher Body, possibly denoting that inspector "A" approved it for shipment.  You will likely find several markings on the firewall, take photos and post, we would love to see them, Todd C

Makes sense to me! Now that I take a much closer look, it looks like a stencil and it's more silver. Kind of a shame as I'm planning on painting the firewall. Maybe I could try to save it. As for other markings this looks like the only one other than the typical ID plates. 

IMG_6728.JPG

IMG_6729.JPG

Let me preface my remarks by saying it is your car and you can do what ever you want with it. I had a similar situation on a '48 Pontiac I am restoring. I found a letter under the voltage regulator on the firewall when I removed it for painting. I am a bit of a purist and I almost decided to cover up the area when I painted my firewall leaving the original mark. However, I thought it would be such a huge distraction with everything else detailed and looking new under the hood so I took several pictures and measurements before I sandblasted and painted. After the paint job I then redrew the letter on the firewall in the exact same spot. The ironic part is that when I replaced the voltage regulator no one will ever see the mark. But I will know that the mark is there and in a restored condition. Ain't this car restoration hobby a fun thing.

LOL how true! I went through this kind of thing when I was building my bobber motorcycle. Getting the same answers, "it's your bike, make it the way YOU like." My engine and bay won't be in show condition but a lot cleaner looking and with original paint colour. I like your idea of reconditioning the letter but my thoughts is some fellow who is no longer on this earth stamped it then carried on with his work day. Probably went down to the local tavern to have a couple Old Milwaukee's with the fellows after that. I'm probably going to cover it up and paint around it. Heck, I'm having difficulty wanting to change any screws or wire terminals for that matter! Trying to keep it as 1954 as I can. Thanks for the reply and story. 

There is a guy on here under my car restoration that is doing a Mercury that had some kind of silver screen or something of that sort to put back those letters and numbers.