DAVES89

Christmas gift for myself

11 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Now I recognize that bench which I have helped stain with brake fluid;) Are you really putting tools together at 13*below zero in an unheated garage??? A better man than me Gunga Din.

Dave doesn't even think it's cold outside unless your shoes freeze to the ground while you're walking.:lol:  It's 35 degrees here today with sunny skies. That's unusually cold weather for us in December. It's supposed to get down to 14* Monday night. I wouldn't be surprised of they have the kids go in late for school due to cold weather.  :o

4 hours ago, 2seater said:

I know both kinds too, although I have seen one working mechanic that actually put stuff away while working on a project. Toolboxes like above will likely have custom made tools too. Like a specially bent wrench, or perhaps shortened, a ground down socket to slide by just right, etc..  I usually wind up with half the contents out of the box in piles around me while working, although I do occasionally have a fit of neatness. I think you are correct that for the most part, the only way to keep things perfect is to not use them. My original 50ish year old Craftsman two drawer looks much like above. I remember browsing through the Craftsman catalog section when they came in the mail, dreaming and making lists of all the stuff I thought I needed, and I guess I still do.:wacko:

Where I worked we normally would take the time to put our tools back in the toolbox at the end of the shift. The company furnished the (expensive) tools and they liked them to be locked up at night. Machinists weren't allowed to clean up oil or anything on the floors so putting the tools away allowed the laborers to come in on the second shift and clean everything up for the next day. I'm pretty much that way at home about putting my tools away. Old habits are hard to break. 

My first real toolbox was a small off-brand one that my wife got me for our anniversary in 1978. It was a good little box that served me well. Like you, I had always looked at the Sears catalogs and dreamed of getting me one of those big toolboxes but I couldn't  justify spending the money on one while raising a family. Last Christmas I was able to buy myself the box I really wanted back in 1978. Sears had it on sale at a really good price and I couldn't resist getting it. The little red one is still my favorite because my wife bought it for me. I still use it to store bolts, screws and other small parts but that big one sure is a nice place to put my old worn out tools. The only problem is I'm getting too old to want to use the tools anymore. :D

SAM_3979.JPG

• Like 1

I have been to Ronnie's house and I can attest to how neat and clean his garage is. I wish I had that set up. However as my garage is uninsulated I use the space between the studs as "shelving" and can store stuff there. The work bench is a used Vetrenary examination cabinet. There were 3 of them at the ReStore and I should have bought two of them, They are well built and were really cheap.

I'm looking at ebay for some 1/4" Snap on extensions to complete my set...

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Dave doesn't even think it's cold outside unless your shoes freeze to the ground while you're walking.:lol:  It's 35 degrees here today with sunny skies. That's unusually cold weather for us in December. It's supposed to get down to 14* Monday night. I wouldn't be surprised of they have the kids go in late for school due to cold weather.  :o

Dave is tougher than I and even goes junkin' in this weather. Of course legend has it that Minnesotan's from Duluth just button the top button when below 0*F so just laugh at us softies^_^

32 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

i didn't even know the rear carpet WAS available.

The rear carpet is not available new. One would have to look at a yard to get one. If the carpet was okay or better I would respray it with a fabric spray.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Where I worked we normally would take the time to put our tools back in the toolbox at the end of the shift. The company furnished the (expensive) tools and they liked them to be locked up at night. Machinists weren't allowed to clean up oil or anything on the floors so putting the tools away allowed the laborers to come in on the second shift and clean everything up for the next day. I'm pretty much that way at home about putting my tools away. Old habits are hard to break.

I too had a similar workplace except we had to supply our own tools or buy them through the company with a discount, so we either put our tools away or they might not be there the next day<_<

Most everyone had Kennedy Boxes and tools or a mix of them and Snap-on, but I couldn't afford such a thing so I made my own out of 1/8" steel and Powder-Coated it Black and put my Craftsman boxes on top of it. Later on I made a wooden box that now sits on top of it in the garage.

IMG_2581.thumb.JPG.296556d9334f293747da6c5729c9579b.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

Dave is tougher than I and even goes junkin' in this weather. Of course legend has it that Minnesotan's from Duluth just button the top button when below 0*F so just laugh at us softies^_^

There is a downside to being use to the cold weather. Dave was in Nashville this summer.  I thought it was pretty cool that day and he looked like he was about to melt when we got out in the bright sun. :)

1 hour ago, Frogware said:

Most everyone had Kennedy Boxes and tools or a mix of them and Snap-on, but I couldn't afford such a thing so I made my own out of 1/8" steel and Powder-Coated it Black and put my Craftsman boxes on top of it. Later on I made a wooden box that now sits on top of it in the garage.

That looks good. You can never get enough storage. Before my wife bought me a tool box I had a big wooden school teachers desk in my basement that served as storage for tools in the drawers and the top of it was my workbench. That school teachers desk sure looked funny with a 6" vice mounted on it but I used it for several years until I sold that house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There is a downside to being use to the cold weather. Dave was in Nashville this summer.  I thought it was pretty cool that day and he looked like he was about to melt when we got out in the bright sun. :)

That was a hot day for me Ronnie. I remember walking through that park and everytime we would stop to talk I would try to find some shade to stand in. I just don't take heat real well, but I don't really like bitter cold either but if I have a project I want to do, I deal with it.

• Like 1

Okay just today the 1/4" Snap on extensions arrived. I bought 4 of them; 1", 2", 4" 6".

Looking at a set of Snap on metric combination wrenches now...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

On 12/28/2017 at 7:57 AM, Ronnie said:

The people I know with tools like that rarely ever use them.  They are just for bragging rights.   :P

Here is what a mechanics toolbox looks like that really uses his tools. Since I'm retired now I'm somewhere in between. :)

toolbox.jpg

I've decided to go "all in" and buy yet a different tool box. The upper shown in this picture is going to what my grand daughters call the "Camper House" and the lower I'm giving to my buddy's nephew who is just starting out and is starting to acquire tools.

What I just got for myself is a used Snap on upper and lower that I found on Craigslist that can hold all the tools I just put in this set up, plus what is in the cabinet barely shown in this picture as well as the battery powered tools I have in the basement. 

For now I'll just put it in the garage and wait until it warms up [to at least 30 degrees] and then rework everything.  

• Like 1