Sign in to follow this  
cschnepf

1940 Commander Vacuum Line?

When I got my Commander a few years back the engine was mostly together.  Some hoses, gauge hookups, wires and the like had been disconnected (or rotted away).  I am currently getting the engine all plumbed up for the test fire (finally...) and I cannot find out for the life of me what this line off the manifold is for (picture attached).  It has some sort of barb on the end so I figure it was attached to some soft line?  I assume it is some sort of vacuum hose?

I wasn't able to find anything helpful in my books so not sure if this was an add-on or if I just overlooked the part in a diagram.

I do have overdrive in case that information is helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help as always,

Christian

20171216_121557.jpg

That is the gas over flow or flooding removal tube. I don't know the correct name. It should have a check valve ball in the lower end. it allows excess gas to escape if the engine is flooded. Good luck with your commander I have a 1940 commander w overdrive. Great cruising car.

I have one of those dangling from the manifold !  ....although yours is in better shape !

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/290578-39-commander-what-was-this/?tab=comments#comment-1582517

If I am correct, mine still has the mounting clamp for this tube on that top right bolt on the oil pump.  I still have not repaired mine and I see from R1Lark's link above that rbk had some of these at one time.   Let me know if you find it, I would like to replace mine too.  

1 hour ago, fh4ever said:

I have one of those dangling from the manifold !  ....although yours is in better shape !

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/290578-39-commander-what-was-this/?tab=comments#comment-1582517

If I am correct, mine still has the mounting clamp for this tube on that top right bolt on the oil pump.  I still have not repaired mine and I see from R1Lark's link above that rbk had some of these at one time.   Let me know if you find it, I would like to replace mine too.  

Ah-ha -- that is the other thread on these drains that I was looking for! I remember there being another, with more details and pics, but couldn't locate it. Thanks for posting it fh4ever!  :)