Rumble Seat

CliffGrinnell

Looks like all you need are the two cushions. Companies like Snyder's and Bratton's sell upholstered seat cushions that are ready to install, or, you can buy just the springs and have them upholstered yourself. After being upholstered, the back rest will have two small clips which secure it to the small holes on the deck lid (also available new) and I believe the bottom cushion has some sort of metal locating cup to keep it from moving on the bottom pan.Both cushions are removable and are not permanently fixed. 

You may also need the correct deck lid handle which is locking. I can't tell from the photo if you have that or not.

Some better photos might tell us if you need more than what I have mentioned, but, I think this will be all you need.

As Guy said, all you need is the spring units and padding and covers. Your rumble lid handle looks the same as my Special Coupe, cant tell if it is locking or not. The seat cushion has two metal 'tabs' on it that fit into two holes in the floor pan of the seat to secure it in place. John

It looks like your lid rests against the spare. It's a common problem on the As when they don't have the proper stops that go against the bottom corners. the round ones go in the upper corners at the top of the channels. Another thing, though minor, is that the round steps are for 30-31s. The 28-29s should have square. Also the grab handles aren't right for a coupe. they are top rests for a roadster top.

th?id=OIP.6hq37hELr9bW4D2zZWSgpwHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=244&h=184

8 hours ago, jpage said:

Is it the step plates, the sloppy fit of the hood, wrong color top or odd paint job that peeves you?

1 hour ago, 41 Su8 said:

What about the wind wings on a closed car?

Like Carl, those things might bug me, but no.  Sport Coupe landau irons are different on driver and passenger sides - they are mirror images of each other.  In the first pic, the passenger-side iron is on the driver side (and upside-down) - presumably the driver-side iron is similarly installed on the passenger side.  The second pic shows the correct installation.  The passenger-side iron should look like a letter "S" with the fake knob toward the rear of the car - the driver-side should look like a backward "S", also with the knob toward the rear.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Like Carl, those things might bug me, but no.  Sport Coupe landau irons are different on driver and passenger sides - they are mirror images of each other.  In the first pic, the passenger-side iron is on the driver side (and upside-down) - presumably the driver-side iron is similarly installed on the passenger side.  The second pic shows the correct installation.  The passenger-side iron should look like a letter "S" with the fake knob toward the rear of the car - the driver-side should look like a backward "S", also with the knob toward the rear.

Bingo!!

22 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

I'm looking at a Sport Coupe, right now, that's for sale in my area. I may pull the trigger if it is still available in a few weeks. The irons are, also, upsidedown. Easy fix

Yeah, it's such an easy fix dunno why people don't install them correctly - they sure look better that way.

Sport Coupes aren't all that rare but they sure are classy looking.  Course I'm prejudiced - our first restoration was a Sporty.  It had been sitting without a top for years - rust-out and rotted wood but the unique parts were there EXCEPT the landau irons.  We lucked into finding a nice original pair without too much searching.  The car turned out pretty nice if I do say so - wish we had kept it.

• 2 weeks later...

The tan top is really attractive but I think a deduction for someone interested in MARC or MAFCA judging, No?

Trying to decide on what to do on  our standard roadster.  I have the back vinyl in the box, but like tan or black canvas.  Part of me is uncomfortable knowingly installing the wrong thing even though we are not concerned about points.  

Nice car OP has.  Saw a couple of rumble seat cushions at Hershey last year, LB sells them ready to drop in.

• 1 month later...

go to ford barn and place a wtd ad for your rumble seat cushions. someone will have a set with upholstery for sale Im sure....................................

far more reasonable then buying everything piece meal through a vendor.