65 neutral safety switch WTB

Alpha*Male

Telriv, thought about that, but car is being completely rewired and im sure the tech doing it didn't save any springs. But if I can find a P/N, I can search further. Unfortunately, as you can see in this picture, none is stamped on either side. 

Different topic: i bought the service / chassis manual (CD), but none lists part numbers. Is there a manual that lists part numbers? 

The book I have, dated 1981, shows the following for the Riviera ...

4.054             SWITCH, TRANSMISSION NEUTRAL

SAFETY AND BACK UP LIGHT

1       1371068     65-66        ALL AT

The above would have been the correct part number back then, but, it may have been replaced over the years too?

Have you checked with any of the vendors in the Riview, or possibly even ebay to locate a replacement?

3 hours ago, Rivman said:

The book I have, dated 1981, shows the following for the Riviera ...

SAFETY AND BACK UP LIGHT

1       1371068     65-66        ALL AT

The above would have been the correct part number back then, but, it may have been replaced over the years too?

Have you checked with any of the vendors in the Riview, or possibly even ebay to locate a replacement?

Did the parts book specify 'with floor shift?'  I've never seen one on a Riviera, but from other cars that I've been around,  a car with a floor shift would have a different neutral safety switch than one with a column shift. Just curious.  Perhaps Buick made the same o e work for both applications.

It looks like the same switch that is used on '65-'67 Skylark and Gran Sport models with floor console automatic.   Would need to check my Buick parts book to be sure.

And Ed is correct in that it is different then a column shift car. With the exception being, '64 or '65 column shift Wildcat used floor shift  neutral safety switch .

telriv is right, they are fairly easy to refurbish.  I have found it common for the thin connection on the outside to be burnt.  See attached picture.  The same connection is under the lower terminal.

Loren

Neutral Safety Switch - over heat damage.jpg

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Did the parts book specify 'with floor shift?'  I've never seen one on a Riviera, but from other cars that I've been around,  a car with a floor shift would have a different neutral safety switch than one with a column shift. Just curious.  Perhaps Buick made the same o e work for both applications.

Maybe a difference since this is a Canadian version? Here is the name of the book I am referencing and the complete listing for that section.

Buick 1965-76 … PARTS CATALOGUE … DATED MAY 1981

SAFETY AND BACK UP LIGHT

1          1371068          65-66   ALL AT

67-68   ALL - WITH LONG CONSOLE  

1          1993404          67-68   ALL AT EXC LONG CONSOLE

1          1994158          69-70   ALL LESS CONSOLE /SUP

1          1993404          69-70   ALL WITH LONG CONSOLE

/SUP 1993401/

1          1994158          71-72   ALL

73        ALL EXC LONG CONSOLE

/SUP 1994111-1994153/

1          1994161          74        ALL EXC ELEC TAIL GATE -

INCL SEAT BELT WARNING

1          1994163          74        WAGONS WITH ELEC TAIL

GATE - INCL SEAT BELT

WARNING

75-76   ALL - INCL SEAT BELT

WARNING

Maybe I should stop using that reference I have saved on my computer? Might be a difference from the US versions to the Canadian versions?

I did do a Google search for the '65 part number listed and it came up with a listing of GM discontinued part numbers that was printed in December of 1990, so that part has been discontinued for at least 25 years as of now. And, there was not a "superseded by" number listed.

11 hours ago, KongaMan said:

You need a new tech.

I fully agree. One thing you learn very quickly when playing around with any 50 year old vehicle,  DONT THROW ANYTHING AWAY unless it is really really bad. Even the bad bits are good for samples at swap meets etc. And sometimes you have to make do until you get a better one! Or you can use it to make a new one.

You can’t just walk down to the corner parts store and get parts like you can for your five year old “Chebbie”

So if your tech has binned the parts, see what KongaMan said.

Just my two and sixpence worth ?

Rodney

Rodney,

You and Kongaman are probably correct.  Thing is, car is there now and in pieces now.  Anyway, your advice on not throwing anything away for a car this old is well taken.  I've learned the hard way how expensive used parts are, if i am able to find them are.  Thanks for your input, and Merry Christmas to you there in South Australia.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Alpha*Male said:

This is a great resource for beginners. Thanks to all who responded!

Merry Christmas! 

Happy Holidays all!

Alpha, my '67 switch is exactly the same. The outside support may be different. I took mine apart, cleaned and lubed.

I also re-staked a loose terminal post. She's like new.

Make sure you adjust at rebuild to sinc' with your reverse lamps.

So this definitely broadens your range a few years.

Heres a pic:

IMG_0080.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Alpha,

Heres another tip:

Do not use ATP's shift link JO-120 bushings. They are dry rot garbage.

Dorman #02373 has a much better one. You must heat it and lube with petrolatum and press it in symmetrically or it will tear. It states use for later years but it was an exact fit.

02373-007.JPG

PWB,

Certainly looks like mine.  Found a used one from Gene (from ABANG: Riview).  Should be here soon.  He said that its very clean, so hopefully i wont have to rebuild it.  Gene seemed like a trustworthy guy, so i'm sure it will be.  Thanks for the the "heads-up" on the bushings.  I'll steer clear of the ATP stuff. As a matter of fact, just bought the Dorman bushing for $5

Thank you.

• 3 years later...
On 12/20/2017 at 10:51 AM, Loren@65GS.com said:

It looks like the same switch that is used on '65-'67 Skylark and Gran Sport models with floor console automatic.   Would need to check my Buick parts book to be sure.

And Ed is correct in that it is different then a column shift car. With the exception being, '64 or '65 column shift Wildcat used floor shift  neutral safety switch .

telriv is right, they are fairly easy to refurbish.  I have found it common for the thin connection on the outside to be burnt.  See attached picture.  The same connection is under the lower terminal.

Loren

Neutral Safety Switch - over heat damage.jpg

Hey Loren seeing this pic my friends has the same burned up thin connection.  What is a good repair for this problem?  Thanks, Brian

21 hours ago, Stage1_69 said:

Hey Loren seeing this pic my friends has the same burned up thin connection.  What is a good repair for this problem?  Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,

I've repaired a couple of them by carefully soldering a jumper wire across the burned area.  Hardest part was to get the connection area clean. It is the same technique as used to repair a flat ribbon or dash board panel. 

Loren

Thanks Loren!  We thought we might try something like that and it is good to know it can be done! 

My friends 66, has bumpers on it now, dash in and he is working on the console.  Hope he is driving it before the good weather is gone :)

Greg Clark GS.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2021 at 2:44 AM, abandg said:

I have a few 65 neutral safety switches if you still need one. 60 dollars and 5 to ship. Gene

4064DA8B-FEFA-4BB6-9C19-9E77851B2727.jpeg

74E1D9CE-472A-47F7-8E80-06E8D8542AE1_1_201_a.jpeg

Hello, I have a 65 GS and I'm looking for one of these neutral safety switches.  I know I am late to this game (by a few years), but do you happen to still have one?

Thanks,

Jim

Based on the tangs shown on the switch, it looks like you may be able to open up the switch and fix it yourself. Just be VERY CAREFUL when prying back the tangs. DO NOT leverage with whatever tool you use against the plastic. They tend to break easily.Oxidation and old grease are the main culprits that cause these switches to malfunction. A good cleaning and its good as new. Not a very difficult task. 

• Like 1