hose clamps,

dl456

Hello,

I have a 59 GM car and getting conflicting info. on the types of clamps used on the fuel and 

coolant hoses.

The only pictures I have found show the two wire clamp that I most associated with 60's Mopars.

My 57 GM car has Wittek tower clamps on the coolant hoses and Corbin clamps on the fuel lines.

Is there any resource for this info. with cut-off dates for each type of clamp? 

I've often wondered the same about grease fittings , valve caps, filters , etc.

Anybody know for sure what types of clamps were factory installed in 59?

Thanks,

Dennis

• 5 months later...

I have been unable to source a factory assembly manual for this car. (59 full size Pontiac).

The service manuals are little help.

Any body have knowledge about the hose clamps and fuel filter on these cars?

Numerous pictures of restored cars are all over the place. One show winner had worm clamps on the rad hoses

and Corbin clamps on the by-pass and heater hoses.

I suspect that the fuel filter was the blue painted AC canister but I have no provisions for a mount.

Anybody have pictures or info?

Thanks,

Dennis

I have moved your post to the Pontiac forum where you are more likely to find Pontiac specific experts, now that you have identified your car as a Pontiac.

Hello dl456, looks like it was probably the Corbin clamps.  I can confirm on 1957 Pontiacs all radiator and heater hoses used the Corbin type clamps as shown in the photo; if you have a tower/post clamp on a 1957 Pontiac it is not correct. 

According to the Ames catalog they have no evidence of the tower clamp being used before 1965 and they have purchased and studied original cars to determine these things for years.  However, like yourself I have looked online and photos of nice cars have all kinds of clamps shown.  I would say if you use the post clamp you will be risking questioning and if you used Corbin clamps they would always be accepted as authentic.  The worm/aviation type is not correct. 

I do not know of a definitive resource to prove these claims.  The 1960 Pontiac parts manual catalogs the same (Corbin) clamps as the factory approved replacement for all 1933-1960 Pontiacs.  But that does not necessarily mean that was the original part every time as dealing with hardware like this was not always consistent or documented and it even varied somewhat between GM divisions.  The best source would be a period photo of a regular production car showing the engine compartment.  Good luck with yours,

Todd Crews

POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

Thanks for the reply Todd,

The only evidence I have is from a early engine removal (old time drag racer) and that engine had all corbin style clamps on it.

I have a 57 Buick with 5800 miles and it has Wittek  tower clamps on the cooling and Corbin clamps on the fuel.

I have searched for a period photo but unfortunately the only ones I have found, don't really show what I need.

I would also like to find documentation on the fuel filter and clamping arrangement. Any ideas on this?

Dennis

Hello dl456, according to the parts manual a 1959 would indeed use the blue AC 61-P fuel filter as you suggested IF your car is a 4bbl or Tri Power, see attached page from the parts manual.  Looks like 2bbl cars used the old glass bowl type.  These are available from www.amesperf.com or www.pontiacparts.net  . 

You will note the manual references the Adapter Pkg 531850, photo with box is from an Ebay listing; I bet it should have four clamps and also include two short hoses.  As you can see the parts manual does not indicate use of a separate bracket as in 1957-58.  For free access to this parts manual you can go to www.pontiacsafari.com and go to the “Garage” section.  Good luck,        

Todd Crews

POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

IMG_2966.JPG

s-l640.jpg