Rayfield Carbs

Steiger325

Hi All

I am looking for information on a certain Rayfield carb . No , not the common model T conversion , but a Rayfield ST model , which I have on an Reo T6 . 1923 year . According to 3 owners manuals I have these cars were fitted with model LL3P carb , or in 1926 and 1927 with a Schebler model S . I have trawled the internet and cannot find any pictures or mention of an ST .However I have found the original patent application in 1922 for a Compound  Venturi carb  by c.L Rayfield which is virtually identical .can any of you carb gurus add any info please .The carb looks like an oem fitment.

Many Thanks. Tim Ingles

Tim - I can offer some history on Rayfield, and POSSIBLY a clue as to where you might look.

Rayfield carbs up through 1918 were manufactured by Findeisen & Kropf. During this period, there was quite a bit of literature printed on Rayfield carburetors. Many sales brochures, for sale ads in trade magazines, and the Sales & Service books (notably Book "B", and Book "C"). If a book "A" exists, I am unaware of it.

Sometime in early 1919 the company was re-organized as Beneke & Kropf, with O.F. Kropf as president and Henry Beneke as vice-president. Literature published in 1919 includes Sales and Service Book "D", which is basically Book "C" with 1918 and 1919 updates. I have never seen any factory Rayfield literature published after 1919.

The only use of the model ST Rayfield in my carburetor database is for mid to late 1920's Case and Westcott automobiles. And this is the clue. GUESSING that if anything for the model ST does exist, it would exist in factory literature for the Case and/or Westcott automobiles. I have none.

Both Case and Westcott used the Continental model 8R 6 cylinder 242 CID engine.

In the FWIW category, if the car were mine, I would be spending my time looking for a carburetor rather than information on the Rayfield ;)

Jon.

Jon

Thankyou  for sharing your wealth of knowledge . It is very interesting to learn of Case and Westcott oem fitment .  I did think of an alternative carb to fit , but I am one of those sad percentage that only want what was original ( provided it works ) ! The carb actually is in good condition and seems to behave well at varying revs . My issue is flooding of the  float chamber . Since I wrote this post  I have taken carb off vehicle which allowed  inversion and removal of float . Hmm , been repaired , and has one pinhole , which has allowed fuel in !  At last resort it could be repaired again but does wear more solder than ideal ! However when reading the patent application it would appear that the float chamber is most likely the same as earlier model carbs . It has a 2" x 1 1/2" float  with 3/8" centre hole . Is that somthing you may have ? I could also do a mod to fit a modern rubber faced needle onto the original long needle if necessary but will try the float first.

As lasr resort , Stromberg or Carter here we come ! 

Tim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steiger325 said:

has one pinhole , which has allowed fuel in !  At last resort it could be repaired again but does wear more solder than ideal ! However when reading the patent application it would appear that the float chamber is most likely the same as earlier model carbs . It has a 2" x 1 1/2" float  with 3/8" centre hole . Is that somthing you may have ? I could also do a mod to fit a modern rubber faced needle onto the original long needle if necessary but will try the float first.

You might have to get creative to find out how much gas it takes to float the float or simply experiment until it's satisfactory.

It appears the float is like a closed cylinder with a hole in the middle for the float needle such as Stromberg/Wheeler Schebler used.

The Wheeler Schebler float needles are threaded at the top so the float height can be changed without taking anything apart.

It's possible, but not likely, you could find a Stromberg float....... <_<