MrEarl

My BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

The one furthest from completion gets first work. ;)  Wouldn't want to get yours all done, then  you all not wanting to come over and help any more because you will finally have some free time to actually work on those cars we have all put on the back burner to finish our palaces. 

just kidding.  

The name by the way is Randy.   But call me whatever you want everyone else does,  and sometimes it's not always flattering. :)

Now Randy, do you really think we would do that to a partner in crime here? I would think the first to be helped along would be the one who has been struggling through it the longest. For me that would be spring of ‘14.  😜 Y’all? 

Anyhow, finished the lathing and insulation today!! D4F1C419-999F-4982-88B9-8FF9BE0C572A.jpeg

EF5A39FD-E07E-4992-8555-14DEE6794882.jpeg

9199B296-41A3-469F-A25B-667C0B49C5FE.jpeg

DB4CEE5A-EC2B-43F5-877C-4D50491A67EE.jpeg

• Like 5

All I managed to get done was a little paint prep work on the doors today and spent a few hours cleaning up piles of scrap wood (from when they put the building up) that were full of nails (pulling all of them) so I don't have to trip over them any more.  It's not real progress,  but one of those jobs you need to get done.  Made a dandy wood pile for the summer campfires though.  They were calling for rain or I would have painted those doors as well. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrEarl said:

would think the first to be helped along would be the one who has been struggling through it the longest. For me that would be spring of ‘14.  😜 Y’all? 

Wow, I didn’t realize that it had been that long.  Mine started with site clearing in March 2016.

Mr. Earl,  You've been at it the longest,  you win.  I started site work / clearing trees August 2016, Dug the footings in August of 2017 after all the paperwork was in order and we finished the raw shell and roof December of 2017.  I'm at dead last in the race.  

That just means you all will have more time to help me catch up once yours are done. ;)

The plan is CO this year for the finished shell with siding and windows with just a gravel floor.  

Then if I'm really lucky Maybe get my floor poured before October.   That is probably pushing it though. 

On 6/13/2018 at 9:19 PM, MrEarl said:

Anyhow, finished the lathing and insulation today!! 

Good for you! I'll bet that made a world of difference in the radiant heat you were getting inside from the tin roof.

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Good for you! I'll bet that made a world of difference in the radiant heat you were getting inside from the tin roof.

yes sir,indeed it did!!!!!! The only good part about installing installation in the hot summer is the fact that the more you install, the cooler it gets. Still got all the front office area ceiling and all the walls to go though. But gotta get the electrical wiring roughed in first and have been working on that

B99BE7A9-86BF-4D21-B29C-080AC1BF2286.jpeg

E79FC75F-42EE-4A9D-9081-2749DBB1CA74.jpeg

also installed a beam down the peak of the ceiling, made up of old chicken house posts, all scrubbed and sanitized.

B9CE1AA5-74F1-4FD9-A45F-8C5311662D3D.jpeg

1BF5EB67-B7D4-4876-B5A9-DD0E629D8ECA.jpeg

F5958608-7089-4AF7-BDA5-CA5EF9067296.jpeg

Starting to cut up some of the old pine 2x6's for trim that will frame out tin in the interior gable wall

362C87BA-C785-4274-A082-2C26E7FF7793.jpeg

50AF3733-2D7A-44F1-AEA5-C5B9E97ACDA3.jpeg9B2BB2AA-8382-4C07-B9F6-8C7D103D4E90.jpeg

• Like 2

You seem to get more done than me each day and I actually spent most of the day on it.  I'll post over on my thread.  Looking good.  I could feel that heat the other day really starting to come through my roof and that's 16 feet to the low end.  I imagine it's much toastier up in the air than down on the cool ground where I am. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe how much more I get done in a day with the one helper I’ve had over the last couple of weeks. He is a self starter and fast learner. Regrettably he will be going back to school next week and it will slow down again.

Dropped the ceiling and added an old pine 2x10 to the area next to the office yesterday. Plans are for the heat pump to go in this overhead area.

2088068F-86D8-4414-83E4-7991AE2A23A0.jpeg

8A165E7E-936C-4B4B-89A6-AD3681F019E0.jpeg

76EA6052-B889-493E-8E51-CA96D3403C90.jpeg

Started sorting and washing down the 24’ pieces of 5V tin today. While I would love to install it full length, it would take 3 men on scaffolds  and 2 on the ground to accomplish it. So I’ve decided to just go with 8’ / 4’ staggered. 

E4CF2A73-AD2E-4294-AE32-C9DC08CE6EC6.jpeg

590CA9D1-A63F-4367-B3FF-3FFD6026C705.jpeg

443F1653-A56C-43E2-865B-8EB7082AC5C3.jpeg

46994416-87FD-4B63-9609-5BB35FAE2F83.jpeg

I love the rust patterns on this tin. Can't wait to see it on the ceiling, hopefully this coming week

I always make sure to drink plenty of liquids 

8A0B12D5-6BF8-4416-A167-FCC274B3325C.jpeg

4DB493C2-C5AB-4405-91CB-A47BF8B25FE3.jpeg

1B9ECF7E-E272-46C5-BCFF-85E35D0C1334.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm going to have to get a fridge atleast for the other garage.  It's over 300 feet to the house each way for a drink so I don't drink as much as I should.  It was pouring pretty good today.  You get pretty wet in 300 feet getting to the house.  :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm going to have to get a fridge

Bought that old Westinghouse at an estate auction for $35. Keeps any beverage chilled to just before freezin when on  the top shelf.

• Like 3

I had a super nice 50's Fridge,  A smaller one, in excellent shape on the finished off porch of my old house I bought.  Owned by a little old lasdy and still looked new.  I didn't really hagve a use for it.  Dad took it and put it out under his porch,  Kind of exposed to the weather and it got kind of rusty after a while then finally quit,  but boy it would cool just like yours until then.  Kind of wish I had it now.  I have an old round top Coke machine someone made into a fridge.  I might just have to hook that up and get it going when I get the shop finished.  I would probably have more "friends" Stopping by if they knew I had a cold beverage on hand.  The BYOB doesn't work so well.  LOL

The International Harvester refrigerator my parents bought to keep my milk cold when I was born in 1950 is in my other barn and still runs perfect. 

Spent the day cutting 42 8’4”, 14 7’ 8”, 14 4’4” and 14 3’ 4” pieces of tin while Wonder Boy worked on roughing in more electrical. 

5BF0A421-8526-410E-A7E4-CDBF59AC3A9D.jpeg

Ha, I see the safety glasses aren’t very visible on here. Nor were they on the work site, I stepped on them no less than 3 times😲

0114E9D3-167C-4759-8215-7C29CF3889B1.jpeg

The waste pile

680F48A8-EB51-485D-A2D8-E75DC407F0D9.jpeg

• Like 3

looks like we were both cutting metal today.  I figured out that drip edge problem. Check out my build later.  I'll post what I came up with.  Your metal pieces are alot bigger though and going to cover alot more area than mine when they are done.  Looks like you are way ahead on the race to the finish as usual.

• Like 1

Is that metal handed?  I suppose the edge lap has to be just like it was or else you’ll see stripes.  Wasting the non-rusted part of the sheet - oh what have we come to?  What will you use to fasten these sheets - fresh galvanized screws isn’t the look you’re looking for.

Looks like you have a diverse fan club.  I have some myself and here this time a year, they’re good for hot air!  Here in Oklahoma we use those old heavy refrigerators either in the front yard or on the front porch. We grab our camcorders and hide behind them when tornadoes come.

It’s all looking good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We bought out house from a roofer whose Employees spilled so many roofing nails around the property,  that I literally filled a half a 5 gallon pail running the magnet over the property (there are still more to find if one wants to look). Unfortunately I threw them all out,  they were mostly nicely rusted and would have been the perfect hardware to attach those sheets.  Some were even still in strips from the roofing nailer.  )

If I had only known,  I could have shipped them down to you. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:35 PM, JoelsBuicks said:

What will you use to fasten these sheets - fresh galvanized screws isn’t the look you’re looking fo

Actually they give it a nice industrial look me thinks. What you think? 

Got up a few sheets yesterday.  I typically run the screws in lining up by eye on roof tops as folks in airplanes can’t discern their alignment but in this case well..... Pre marking each sheet for screw placement then hanging was a pita. because of all the staggards the marks were always a half inch or so off from one row to the other.Ran string  from end to end and threaded the tin between the string and trusses lined the screws by the string , easy going and screws dead in line. 

Tha’s Wonder Boy taking his  five minute afternoon break

A885805D-9BC0-4D34-9E39-3002A8474282.jpeg

A286D69C-D688-4F4A-97E7-87705468FF6D.jpeg

BA6C234B-16AC-4E47-B74E-744EB940C927.jpeg

9A434D2A-4848-4BF0-842A-5D916FDD2293.jpeg

• Like 5

That string idea worked well.  I might have to borrow that if I ever get to the inside. 

I might even finish my windows today.  I burned up a 50 foot roll of flashing to wrap six 1/2 windows and there is very little waste. I'll be glad when they are done.  Thanks for the drip edge idea :( They will look good when done though. 

The rusted tin makes yours look like an old timey roof on the inside with no insulation like in the old days. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 7:22 AM, MrEarl said:

Actually they give it a nice industrial look me thinks. What you think? 

I think it is an effective way to show that straight, square, and clean will look good, regardless of what you screw up 🤭.  I noticed that you pulled the electrical out in the middle of the flat of the sheet which is a clever thing to do.  It will be interesting to see how you throw light on this ceiling.

The reuse of this highly patina’d metal fits well with the walls and awnings because it seems to have a natural old and weathered look.  I’m not so sold on its ceiling application because I’d never expect to see it that way naturally. So, I would have turned all that metal upside down and showed off that flecky galvanized backside. Then, I’d nailed 1x4’s to the bottom of that so that it looks like the underside of a roof that is magically supported without trusses and rafters.  Then, I’d use lights that accented the whole thing.  Then, I’d sit back and laugh about it and tell people that it could come crashing down at any moment.

That’s what I think!  See why I don’t do things like this?

keep the pics coming!

• Haha 2

You have to know that I love the workmanship, dedication and creativity.  Just thought this morning needed to start with a little humor.

• Haha 1

Just wait, he's not done.  I'm thinking he's going to do some faux supports and rafters out of weathered wood.  Give the man time. He has me beet.  I'm still wrapping 6 windows in metal and seesm to have been a week since I started doing that.  I bent cut and bent 72 pieces of flashing.  Most have 3 bends.  Some have 5 or 6. 

Hopefully today I'll get them wrapped up if the heat doesn't do me in. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:46 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

So, I would have turned all that metal upside down and showed off that flecky galvanized backside. Then, I’d nailed 1x4’s to the bottom of that so that it looks like the underside of a roof that is magically supported without trusses and rafters. 

Actually considered it Joel! But the underside was just so blah gray plus getting the shadowed ares left by the previous perlins to all line up would not have been easy. 🤪 😆

On 6/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, auburnseeker said:

Just wait, he's not done.  I'm thinking he's going to do some faux supports and rafters out of weathered wood.  Give the man time.

Upon completion of the ceiling, Boy Wonder, with an already crick in the neck, asked what’s next. I described the scenario you spelled out and his eyes got bigger and bigger as I spoke. I told him I was only kidding and he remarked he thought maybe so but that with me you can never tell what I might try. He has gotten to know me well over the last 3 weeks working with me. He heads back to school at Atlanta Art Institute next week and I will miss him not to mention the awesome productivity of four hands instead of two. We have had a great time working together. I lost about 10 pounds from sweating in the attic installing insulation, climbing scaffolding and just being extremely mobile 8-10 hours a day in temps in the mid nineties. Each day required a change of sweat soaked clothes at noon. 923C4BE6-68FE-4B6F-B061-40E36AAE8DB9.jpeg

C6A2886A-CC5F-464F-80FE-99798151BB93.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

By the way Joel, I figured you would suggest some sort of accent lighting so I installed electrical boxes in the interior gabel on the office end for 400w floods that will shine back onto the ceiling above the standard barn lights. I have also decided to use different length stems on the barn lights that will have them all on the same 13’ high level and thus not breaking up the view of the ceiling. 

Yep, you most certainly have to get that ceiling lit up.  It’s a work of art - a kaleidoscope of corrosion!  Disordered decay perfectly arranged to invoke a friendly emotion and a warm vision for viewing visitors.

Very nice!