MrEarl

My BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

and before starting to auger holes, one has to cut trees and move a rock pile some farmer many years ago cleared out of his cotton field and piled directly on what eventually became my property line. EBB851B6-A653-4BF1-8E7C-740B20F4D6BF.jpeg

and of course my circa 2011 tractor battery thinks this would be just a hilarious time to finally die

C825AABB-A3A0-46DE-BC65-9C6A9F93CC25.jpeg2B88BA0B-C50A-4B13-A785-770E9612307A.jpeg

it's a crazy society we live in these days Matt...  we have 2-3 neighborhood residents walk or jog the rural street in front of our house each day and never had this situation or anything close to it arise. This guy apparently took the ol hound dog bark as serious and aggressive this time. Enclosing the front in fence will still give Elvis 14 acres in which to roam.

Jeeze,  I hope my string of bad luck didn't head your way.  Last fall when the crunch was on to get my garage enclosed before snow fall (which happened after the first 2, 12 inch snow falls  the battery went in my diesel truck,  which meant two new ones, my computer went south and they don't give new Macs away, then I had to put a lot of materials to finish on my CC as I ran out of money to get the job done while the help was available.  As it was I had to make enough money the week they finished,  so I could pay for the labor the following week.   That was a lean month boy and I still had to buy the wife a little something for under the tree.  

Hope you don't have any other unforeseen problems come up.  I'm going to start a new thread for my shop so I can quit Hijacking yours.  We just had our taxes done,  so I have a good handle on what I spent for my whole project,  which not being completed,  didn't get to start writing it off this year. Fortunately I didn't really need it as I'm good at spending almost as much as I make back on my business every year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

we have been in the process of laying out for and procuring materials for about 1,200 ft of fence and gates to enclose the rest of Buick Gardens

That is a major project even without having to clear the way.  I don’t know how you feel about fences but they have a way of creating an unwelcoming feel.  They also have to be kept mowed and sprayed.  Unfortunately,  they are also necessary in some cases.  It doesn’t sound like this was something you had on your to-do list and that alone can take all the fun out of it. 

We we will wait patiently to see how you repurpose that pile of rocks 😧. 

• Like 1

I trust Elvis avoided being the recipient of a hard blow... (or any for that matter)

If he is nimble enough to catch fish in your pond, want to think he still has his quickness to see a swing coming and back away.

Any chance a load of rocks might somehow mysteriously end up on a certain person's driveway???-_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me too...

Maybe this will get that old Georgia boy back to posting about what's going on down there in Georgia.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ronnie, you got my hopes up seeing activity on the page and then they were dashed. Oh well, you got me thinking about the devil fiddling down south. 

• Like 1

He said he had a fence to put up. With all this rain I'll bet he's knee deep in red Georgia clay and his wife won't let him come in the house and use the computer to post anything.  :)

• Like 1

Sorry to keep you all waiting and in suspense as to what is going on down here in Jawga. Just didn't think  anybody would be that interested in hearing about two old folks putting up 1,100 ft of fence.  But actually we are finally getting some rain so if any interest, will continue telling about the fence build which has pushed back all the other usual spring time chores here at Buick Gardens.  We are done with Phase 1 of the fence which was fencing in the pasture and pond area with field fence (actually sheep and goat fence) 

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

and am waiting on the ornamental double loop fence to arrive from Australia for in front of the house. It will be similar to this but 48 inches tall and with loops half way up from the bottom.

Capture 1.PNG

By the way, I finally got the rock pile down to a size that won't allow the coyotes to just jump over the fence. The deeper into it I got the bigger the rocks got.

IMG_0940.JPGIMG_0942.JPG

But I had no problem finding places for them around the Garden and Buick Pond.

C864A9E2-BDED-4A58-A386-67B326F57CFA.jpegACA4A59B-8E3E-41C4-822F-932E21C41C46.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now you finally have to find time to get that landscaping done you were putting off. ;)

I know the feeling,  every time we start some project around here we end up doing 2 or 3 others we weren't going to do.  I was leaf blowing the front yard today,  and the grass was blowing away in tufts as the dirt is so crappy the grass roots won't even stay in it.  Now we are talking about 30 yards or so of top soil.  I also started smoothing down the dirt behind the old garage before the grass tarts growing in it.  It's 50 percent rocks and gravel I think so real fun to rake out. 

Next I'll have to add a walk way,  maybe move a few shrubs out there.  I don't think it ever ends.  When do we stop making more work for ourselves? 

I thought I had a Monopoly on rocks.  Looks like you found a nice pile as well. They look good with the way you are placing them.   It probably wasn't a priority on your list though. 

In all we put up over 100 fence posts plus bracing and ran I think about 800 ft of fence. I say we  because my dear wife Rita was there working right along with me, tamping the dirt back in the holes and driving staples. One day when we were both packing dirt in the same post hole,  I asked her how she was liking retirement and  she said without hesitation "I'd rather be doing this any day than working"  Me too!!!

Laid out all the corners and posts at 8 ft centers.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

augured out the holes with the ol Ford 2000 and antique auger and planted the posts. Optimum moisture in the Georgia red clay for  excellent compaction.

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

and old Elvis, made in the shade, not a care in the world and doesn't know whats about to take place.

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

and am waiting on the ornamental double loop fence to arrive from Australia for in front of the house. It will be similar to this but 48 inches tall and with loops half way up from the bottom.

Capture 1.PNG

Really - a bit more Oz in Jawga

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I don't think it ever ends.  When do we stop making more work for ourselves? 

You're right, it NEVER ends. While waiting on the fence from AU, I've already started hauling mulch from piles that just happened to be in the way of where I will be building the pole barn for the Airstream we just brought home.

7FB2AED7-79D9-4DB6-9587-D427BD625C89.jpeg

473C414A-199C-4730-94B8-DDD458FB372A.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 50jetback said:

Really - a bit more Oz in Jawga

Yep and apparently y'all have the market cornered on the stuff. American Iron Fence Company in Illinois gets it shipped in from down under by the container load. And you and I both know shipping from AU ain't cheap.  Maybe you could smuggle in about 3 rolls for me. :D

49 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Yep and apparently y'all have the market cornered on the stuff. American Iron Fence Company in Illinois gets it shipped in from down under by the container load. And you and I both know shipping from AU ain't cheap.  Maybe you could smuggle in about 3 rolls for me. :D

And maybe a H V McKay SUNSHINE cattle gate?

H V McKay SUNSHINE 002.JPG

H V McKay SUNSHINE 003.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

I was just thinking this place needs some ornamental double loop fence from Australia :D

:lol: Ha ha, you got it Billy! It will be expensive but is sort of a consolation for having to fence Buick Gardens in and for all the hard work Rita and I are doing to get it done. Reet has been a champ and a big help with it, I'm tellin ya!!!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 50jetback said:

And maybe a H V McKay SUNSHINE cattle gate?

H V McKay SUNSHINE 002.JPG

H V McKay SUNSHINE 003.JPG

Oh crap, don't give me any ideas!!!!!   Tha's gorgeous!!!!   What, turn of the century. Is it dated?  Go ahead and pack it in with the fence, let me know additional shipping cost.   :lol:

Do you have a picture of that double loop ornamental fence?  Hurricane  Harvey flopped a tree on mine and the original source is gone.  I have it scabbed together for now, but would like something like the original to replace all.

Oh crap X 2 @50jetback  . they still produce them. I tell ya, with friends like you......  

https://www.mckaygates.com.au/

considering I need 3 double gates, it may be cheaper to just move to Australia

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Do you have a picture of that double loop ornamental fence?  Hurricane  Harvey flopped a tree on mine and the original source is gone.  I have it scabbed together for now, but would like something like the original to replace all.

Last report is that the plant in AU is retooling their machines to make the fence with the lower loops. I will be getting some of the first produced. It may actually be a bit heavier at 8 gauge, than the older fence that was sold by Hutchinson.  Only two places in the US carry it now, that I could find, and this place delivers at no cost. 

Be sitting down when you look at the prices.

http://www.americanironfence.com/duloorwife.html

• Sad 1