Chewbacca

My new purchase

On 1/4/2018 at 4:25 AM, Chewbacca said:

British Spring     50F

British Summer 50F

British Autumn  50F

British Winter     50F

We're not cool so much as mild

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne (which makes me a Geordie - check out our strange accent on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4TT3VtR8o). We are at 55 degrees latitude which is north of Seattle, Winnipeg and Moscow. We have the Gulf Stream to thank for our mild climate.

I’d like some of the gulf heat returned please. Been <30’ F here in Florida for several nights. 

Welcome to the forum and happy new year ✌️

OK, so the car has now arrived. Goes through our safety check next week before I can register it to drive on the road.

A few bits and pieces missing or broken but that is only to be expected but one thing has surprised me. The paint is Regal Black according to the VIN and I was expecting a flat black but it appears to be a fine metallic. Is this correct? 

I'll be taking some photographs of the various broken bits to ask advice on replacing or repairing them.

All the best

Chewie

• Like 1

Regal black is a gloss black, not flat.  And no, there is no metallic in it (at least if it's the correct factory color.)

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Regal black is a gloss black, not flat.  And no, there is no metallic in it (at least if it's the correct factory color.)

If it were metallic, I believe it would be called Pearl Black which is a GM offered color (late Pontiac's had this color).

By flat back I meant plain rather than matt. One of those ‘divided by a common language’ sayings I guess. 

Not going to be easy to repair then. It has a few bubbles on the trunk lid but they might have to wait until I can afford a full respray. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Edited by Chewbacca (see edit history)

If it's the original lacquer and you can find someone who can still spray lacquer, you can touch it up.

So she failed the UK safety test on multiple items. Some I anticipated due to LHD (headlights) and some you just get used to when importing cars from the US. The parking brake system is seized through lack of use, the windscreen washer motor is inoperative, the horn doesn't work and the power steering leaks like the Titanic. My Mustang had all the same issues when it came in from the US and are all easy and cheap to fix.

Of more concern is the massive side to side play in the rear suspension. I guess this is the radius rod bushes. Is this a difficult job?

Edited by Chewbacca (see edit history)

They are called "PanHard Rod" bushings. I usually replace them with poly available from a variety of sources. You REUSE the original shells.

• Like 1