fiber optics

jonlabree

Would add that early 88's had a separate 194 bulb and holder attached to the inner door shell that fed the fiber optic to the exterior lock cylinder, rather than from the courtesy lamp housing. I think Jon's car is a 90, isnt it? Just thought I'd mention the change for the sake of completeness.

• Thanks 1

The dual fitting was likely done so the same housing can be used on both doors. The fitting on the end nearest the lock cylinder would get the fiber optic cable inserted since the housing would be flipped 180° from one door to the other so the lens would have the red end toward the rear of the door in either case. I've seen some housings with only one fiber socket, probably a cost reduction measure done sometime later in production since just the lens could be flipped in the housing to achieve the same effect.

quick question on this. i just purchased a 1991 convert about a month ago and it does not have the lighted lock cylinders, i had a couple of 1990 parts cars in the past and remember they had the lighted cylinders.  did Buick do away with them for the 91 model year?

this car is a repaint(DONE BEFORE THE PRIOR OWNER BOUGHT IT) and the detail to pieces put back together probably after the repaint leaves me questioning if the non lighted cylinders are correct.

I realize twilight sentinal was added in 91 does this have something to do with it

Thanks for the help

Marty

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:48 PM, MRJBUICK said:

quick question on this. i just purchased a 1991 convert about a month ago and it does not have the lighted lock cylinders, i had a couple of 1990 parts cars in the past and remember they had the lighted cylinders.  did Buick do away with them for the 91 model year?

this car is a repaint(DONE BEFORE THE PRIOR OWNER BOUGHT IT) and the detail to pieces put back together probably after the repaint leaves me questioning if the non lighted cylinders are correct.

I realize twilight sentinal was added in 91 does this have something to do with it

Thanks for the help

Marty

I believe that with the '91 Reatta, lighted external door handles were no longer a production feature...Reatta experts can confirm.  I'm sure it had nothing to do with or related to the introduction of the twilight sentinel feature.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Correct. 90 was the last year for the halo lock cylinders. Cool as they were, they weren't really neccessary after 1988 as the 1989 and on Reatta's had RKE standard. This negated the need for lighting the outside key slot as you would probably never use the key unless you lost the remote or the battery died.

1991 models also use a different key blank for the oval head key (H key blank where 88-90 use the D key blank) in the doors, trunk and glovebox/storage bins/ski door. All those lock cylinders would have to be changed to use the halo locks on the doors, and still be able to use the same key on all. The square head ignition key is also different in 90 and 91 versus 88 and 89 (which used the C key blank) as they added passkey security.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KDirk said:

Correct. 90 was the last year for the halo lock cylinders. Cool as they were, they weren't really neccessary after 1988 as the 1989 and on Reatta's had RKE standard. This negated the need for lighting the outside key slot as you would probably never use the key unless you lost the remote or the battery died.

1991 models also use a different key blank for the oval head key (H key blank where 88-90 use the D key blank) in the doors, trunk and glovebox/storage bins/ski door. All those lock cylinders would have to be changed to use the halo locks on the doors, and still be able to use the same key on all. The square head ignition key is also different in 90 and 91 versus 88 and 89 (which used the C key blank) as they added passkey security.

Good information. Stuff I didn't know.