1930's spark plug connectors

Graham Man

If I understand correctly these spark plug connectors were used by several companies in the 1930s.  Auburn and Graham-Paige for sure, but why are they so hard to find?  Graham used them from 1929-1936+.  Pretty simple brass connection, screw on the spark plug and connect in just like the distributor.  Guess I am off to Chickasha...

Spark Plug Connectors.jpg

Edited by Graham Man
update (see edit history)

Franklins, too.

Those socket connectors are rare most likely because owners took them off and put on better connectors with a stronger contact grip. Unlike the distributor cap's wire towers, with those socket connectors too often the wires slip out of the socket easily with just the natural springy-ness of the spark wires aided by engine vibration and bouncing along rough roads.

Plus,  that socket type tended to collect oil, water, and dirt - all of which starts to work against maintaining a strong spark so that your not stuck spending time on the side of the road cleaning them to get dead cylinders firing again.   

If your lucky to have a good set of them, they look period correct. But if your building a driver car that will get you where you want to go and back home again, reliability is not their strong point.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Pierce Arrow and Stude also used them, and they are being reproduced in sets of eight, call John at 413-543-9017 eastern time, I do not know the cost. They are CNC machined. Good luck, Ed

Thank you all for your responses.  I hate to loose automotive history.  I have been working with Graham-Paige cars for almost ten years and consider myself detail oriented but did not notice the missing spark plug connections till this year.  I have been trying to replace the spark plug wires on my 1929 Graham-Paige to original.  After looking, I have found several examples of running, driving, Graham-Paige cars with the connectors.  Thanks again, soon there will be several more examples of original, as designed, Graham-Paige engines driving around.