1927 peerless boat tail

Ballen5280

thanks. it is looking like that is what I will have to have done. There is another question that I have. for the timing advance and throttle leavers. they brake so easy. I have found a couple but they seem to be made with the same cheep metal. have you ever had this issue? 

Hello Ballen5280,

Thanks for signing into the AACA Forums and discovering the Peerless Forum. How did you find it? Your profile name would be a great name for someone from Denver!

I saw your post on the Gen. Discussion Forum, where you commented on not a lot of people knowing what a Peerless is. The AACA Forums have a great wealth of information if you search the old posts. 10 years back, the Peerless Forum wasn´t anything, but now has 1900 messages. Only about  5 or 10 per cent of the people who have, or work with, Peerlesses (like you) have ever commented here - but that will gradually improve.

I got interested  in the make eleven years ago when I found  a decrepit 1924 Peerless Mod. 6-70 Touring Phaeton in a roadside used car lot in MT. I´d never seen one before, and was shocked to find how rare the marque is {108,000 built 1900-1931}, the model {2,786 built}, and the # of survivors of that model {3}. I found an article in an investment magazine  estimating 35 remaining Peerless cars. Knew that was bull and started a roster myself(Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence). KPAIE is a spreadsheet, free to Peerless Motor Car Club members, with 359 cars & trucks on it now. Some well documented, some not.

Tell us about the car, ask questions, make comments at will. As you know, there were five Peerless models in ´27, using four different engines. Which one are you working on?

Thank you,     Jeff    

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Hi Brian,

There´s a restoration shop in FL that´s done 6 or 7 Peerlesses now, 1926-1931 models,  Pistorius Collectible Autos. You could try to contact Brando Pistorius there for technical advice. Brando had to rebuild or replace a water pump on a straight-eight Continental motor once from a ´31 Peerless Master Eight Sedan.

A lot of the interior hardware on Twenties Peerlesses was done in cast zinc, typical for the time. I read on the AACA forums somewhere of people who makes exact copies of things like that in cast stainless steel. One person who does that, Don Sommer in MI, is actually a Peerless owner. He and his son have a business called American Arrow Corp. that custom makes radiator mascots and other things. They make a beautiful copy of the Peerless Eagle hood ornament for $620.

Jeff

thanks Jeff. so I believe it is a 6-90. I know it is a boat tail and rag top. I work on a lot of vintage cars and trucks. this peerless has come to our shop for many years. we have always had great success at being able to come up with solutions to any issues that have come up. Until now. this pump is a stumpier. It looks like we will be having to have this machined. I found a local machinist we are going to be working with. 

I am excited about being on here. I have never signed up because I myself am not an owner. How ever you may be right I can share what I know with others as well. I do hope to be an asset to this community. I do hope to one day be a member of the community and have my own classic. LOL

Thank for the welcome. 

I´ve driven into Denver about 30 times and there´s a sign that says ``DENVER, Mile High City, 5,280 feet´´. I´m from Kansas, which is where Denver was when it was founded about 1859. It got named after Territorial Governor James W. Denver. That´s actually good that this is a Peerless I may not have heard of. Lots of people like hearing about unknown cars that get discovered. There are a number of stories about Peerless Boat Tail Roadsters in Nebraska/Oregon/Missouri that haven´t made it into KPAIE, and I´m sure there are lots of cars that I know zero about out there.

You are a very wise man. Most don"t pick up on the 5280. I like you already. I will talk with the owner. Perhaps he too will enjoy getting on here and sharing his story's. He is a great guy. This car gets driven. It is not a fully restoration but at the same time not a POS. For the most part very very solid. the interior has been redone but not original material from what I see. and the paint looks like rattle can paint. considering it came from Jersey there is surprisingly no rust or bondo. Still has nice wood for the top. it is aged but in good shape. As long as he will allow I will get pictures and post them on here. 

I am a certified master technician in a little shop in Littleton Colorado. I am not the owner but have been with this shop for several years. we specialize in newer cars doing electrical diagnostic work. a large number of our clients are actually other shops who do not train as aggressive as we do. So they have a hard time figuring out what is wrong with today cars. Our systems are so advanced today with variable valve timing. gasoline direct injection and changing the air with intake runners. it makes peoples minds spin. How ever we do still like to bring in the classics as well. I have to pull out half my brain so I don't over engineer them. lol We have seen a lot of classics. like a 32 cord that is values at close to 1 million dollars. Just had a 56 Bel Air in that was so clean there was not even dirt in the frame channels. How ever for me this Peerless beats them all. This car has always intrigued me. some times I feel like I should pay him for letting me work on it. One of the coolest things is the brake band on the out side of the drum. I love that. this thing is built like a tractor. still runs and drives smooth.  We have had to do some tune work here and there but for the most part I have done very little. I was taking apart the steering  wheel controls today. I believe that I pulled out the original 1927 Wire for the horn. just amazing. It is in good shape and not even chafed up where it goes through the steering shaft. The designs and engineering that went into this car blow my mind. It is built very well. Any how I am glad to have met you and look forward to our continued communications. Next time you come through Denver I would enjoy having you come by the shop and maybe get some lunch. 

• Like 1

There are a couple of cars on the Known Peerless list with owners and locations I have left off at the request of the owner. In one case, the vehicle is very desirable and they want to wait till the restoration is done before word gets out where it is. Thanks for describing the work you are doing on the 1927. For a nearly-forgotten carmaker -- Peerless had a huge impact on American automobile technology. One good way to describe Peerless, if you only have a minute, is to say they built their first car in 1900, a 1-cylinder, and eventually sold 200 million dollars worth of cars. Say, there´s an uber-important 1932 Cord I know of......a long dark blue car called the E-1 Prototype......but that may not have been the one in your shop.

I´ve got friends and relatives in Denver, Littleton and Ft. Collins. I drove through last fall and tried to visit Clive Cussler´s Classic Car museum around Arvada. Made the mistake of trying to take 287 from Ft. Collins to Arvada instead of 25. There are 63 stoplights going that way and I got there  an hour after they closed for the season. Slipped a letter under the door thanking him for featuring a 1904 Peerless in his 2015  novel The Assassin. Nice museum if you get a chance to go. The Forney Museum of Transportation in Denver is good, too.

• Like 1